sd card question

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
falconsusi
Contributing MemberPosts: 557Gear list
Like?
sd card question
Dec 11, 2013

(I could just do this and find out, but I don't want to mess up anything.)

If I use the same memory card from my a57 to my a77 without formatting the card will the card record the next photo as the next number photo or will the memory card recognize a different camera and change the number on the photo file to whatever number is next on my camera?

I haven't labeled my sd cards and I need to know if I get them mixed up do I have to format them in the camera?  So that I can keep track of the number of photos taken with each separate camera.

Or is my question totally being misunderstood?

-- hide signature --
 falconsusi's gear list:falconsusi's gear list
Sony a77 II
Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alpha604
Regular MemberPosts: 237Gear list
Like?
Re: sd card question
In reply to falconsusi, Dec 11, 2013

The file structure is the same in both sony cameras.... it may ask you to rebuild the database, but unlikely unless swapping between brands or between APS-C and Full Frame. The naming scheme will continue from where it left off in my experience, regardless of the Sony camera body.

While shooting, work out a system to know which card is full or not, or dedicate a specific card to each camera. Worst case scenario, if they get mixed up just organize the files later on your computer by camera model. Alternately, if you are looking at your images on your A57, you will not be able to magnify any of the images from the A77 as they will be too high resolution for the A57 to display... identifying your A77 images, albeit not the easiest way

Just keep the cards straight and shoot, worry about it later in the computer!

alpha604's gear list:alpha604's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX1R Sony RX1 Sony SLT-A77 Nikon D3S +51 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thebustos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,133Gear list
Like?
Re: sd card question
In reply to falconsusi, Dec 11, 2013

Also, if you get them mixed up, the camera used will show up in the exif data.

-- hide signature --

Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads