6D just got here. Baby steps!!!!

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
Nikonfan99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,411Gear list
Like?
6D just got here. Baby steps!!!!
Dec 11, 2013

Okay looong time nikon shooter here (hence the name). I am in the process of converting from nikon to canon. My 6D came in tonight. I also picked up the canon 40mm 2.8 pancake lens.

I charged up the battery and started to play with it. I can tell I have a lot to figure out. I have no clue why the AF selection point will not move with the dial at times without me hitting the af button first. I clearly need to read the manual. My point is that I have no clue what I am doing Despite all the focus point controversy, I feel that the AF points are actually more consistent compared to my d600's. I think I will be very happy once I figure out what the heck I am doing I may have to pick up a book on the camera

Btw, I am waiting for amazon to refund me my d800. As soon as they do I will be ordering the 5D mark III also.

Nikonfan99's gear list:Nikonfan99's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tyr-Sog
Contributing MemberPosts: 550Gear list
Like?
Re: 6D just got here. Baby steps!!!!
In reply to Nikonfan99, Dec 11, 2013

I look forward to reading about your opinions on the two systems.  I've gone from 7 Nikon lenses to just 2 since the middle of summer and I'm on the verge of making the switch.  I just need a final nudge to make the switch.

Tyr-Sog's gear list:Tyr-Sog's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikonfan99
Like?
In reply to Tyr-Sog, Dec 11, 2013

Well so far, I will say a fairly steep learning curve as far as in camera settings and understanding focus system and all the settings. I may pick up a book designated for each camera. Never had to do that before but I never switched system before. My main reason for switching is I am fed up with nikons behavior when issues come up and I dont feel that nikon is where I want to invest my money anymore. Every release is a beta test over at nikon. Tired of being a test subject. I do feel that the nikon d600 is a very capable camera but I have no faith in nikon after all the QC issues. Over it!!!! I dont feel that canon is perfect but I feel that they take issues more seriously and I feel the products are just not thrown out to test. This will be a big learning experience and I feel that I will be at home soon enough.

cs hauser
Contributing MemberPosts: 723
Like?

Nikonfan99 wrote:

Okay looong time nikon shooter here (hence the name). I am in the process of converting from nikon to canon. My 6D came in tonight. I also picked up the canon 40mm 2.8 pancake lens.

I charged up the battery and started to play with it. I can tell I have a lot to figure out. I have no clue why the AF selection point will not move with the dial at times without me hitting the af button first.

With Canons, the dials are used mainly to adjust exposure settings when in shooting mode.  By default, they will change either the aperture, shutter speed, and/or exposure compensation.  To use the dials to change any other function (AF or Metering or Drive modes) will require the press of a button.

However, there is a setting under "custom functions" that will allow you to select AF Points using the directional pad without having to press the AF Button.

Nikonfan99
Like?
In reply to cs hauser, Dec 11, 2013

Thank you. I know I am jumping the gun here and need to read the book. It mainly comes down to getting accustomed to the settings and what they each do. I can tell the 5D mark III's AF system will require a book if the 6D requires this.

Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,757Gear list
Like?

cs hauser wrote:

Nikonfan99 wrote:

I charged up the battery and started to play with it. I can tell I have a lot to figure out. I have no clue why the AF selection point will not move with the dial at times without me hitting the af button first.

With Canons, the dials are used mainly to adjust exposure settings when in shooting mode. By default, they will change either the aperture, shutter speed, and/or exposure compensation. To use the dials to change any other function (AF or Metering or Drive modes) will require the press of a button.

However, there is a setting under "custom functions" that will allow you to select AF Points using the directional pad without having to press the AF Button.

I tried that, but it did not play well with my customization of the Set button to hold and adjust ISO with the top dial. Maybe it is because I have small hands and a hard time stretching between the Set button and the top dial, but I consistently changed the AF point in the process. I find the Set/ISO thing more useful than the directional pad/AF thing, so I turned the directional dial off. I change ISO a lot more than AF points, as I shoot in full manual almost exclusively, so forever changing ISO.

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM
cs hauser
Contributing MemberPosts: 723
Like?
In reply to Caerolle, Dec 11, 2013

Caerolle wrote:

I tried that, but it did not play well with my customization of the Set button to hold and adjust ISO with the top dial. Maybe it is because I have small hands and a hard time stretching between the Set button and the top dial, but I consistently changed the AF point in the process. I find the Set/ISO thing more useful than the directional pad/AF thing, so I turned the directional dial off. I change ISO a lot more than AF points, as I shoot in full manual almost exclusively, so forever changing ISO.

Canon seriously needs to re-think the button positioning on its 6D/60D class of cameras. The directional pad is very awkward to use while the eye is on the viewfinder. It should be higher up and further in, where the Canon joystick used to be. There's a reason why Nikon keeps its D-Pad in that area. On the 6D/60D class cameras, Canon is making us use a D-Pad in lieu of a joystick. But for some inexplicable reason, they didn't move the D-Pad to where the joystick used to be.

A cluster of buttons (Live View, Q, and Play) is currently located in that area, which is a waste of prime real estate since none of those buttons are useful while the eye is on the viewfinder. Those buttons should've switched places with the D-pad/Rear Dial.

Canoman21
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?

cs hauser wrote:

Caerolle wrote:

Canon seriously needs to re-think the button positioning on its 6D/60D class of cameras. The directional pad is very awkward to use while the eye is on the viewfinder. It should be higher up and further in, where the Canon joystick used to be. There's a reason why Nikon keeps its D-Pad in that area. On the 6D/60D class cameras, Canon is making us use a D-Pad in lieu of a joystick. But for some inexplicable reason, they didn't move the D-Pad to where the joystick used to be.

A cluster of buttons (Live View, Q, and Play) is currently located in that area, which is a waste of prime real estate since none of those buttons are useful while the eye is on the viewfinder. Those buttons should've switched places with the D-pad/Rear Dial.

I have big banana fingers and find that the 60D is fine. Canon's layout is far more user friendly than Nikon's cluster of controls. Going from the 40D to the 60D & 5D it's all down to muscle memory anyway. I don't have the 6D but the control layout is the same as the 60 in most respects and don't see the joystick as a big issue.

Canoman21's gear list:Canoman21's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +13 more
Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,454Gear list
Like?

This is why I prefer the 5d layout, the d pad/wheel combo just didn't work for me like the joystick.  I think if I had a 6d though I would probably just use the center af point all of the time.  I had contemplated a 6d as a backup at these prices, maybe with a small light prime?

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +13 more
Fog Maker
Senior MemberPosts: 1,158
Like?

Nikonfan99 wrote:

Well so far, I will say a fairly steep learning curve as far as in camera settings and understanding focus system and all the settings. I may pick up a book designated for each camera. Never had to do that before but I never switched system before. My main reason for switching is I am fed up with nikons behavior when issues come up and I dont feel that nikon is where I want to invest my money anymore. Every release is a beta test over at nikon. Tired of being a test subject. I do feel that the nikon d600 is a very capable camera but I have no faith in nikon after all the QC issues. Over it!!!! I dont feel that canon is perfect but I feel that they take issues more seriously and I feel the products are just not thrown out to test. This will be a big learning experience and I feel that I will be at home soon enough.

If you are an experienced photographer

you need no book.

You should know that

Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,538Gear list
Like?

Nikonfan99 wrote:

I charged up the battery and started to play with it. I can tell I have a lot to figure out. I have no clue why the AF selection point will not move with the dial at times without me hitting the af button first. I clearly need to read the manual. My point is that I have no clue what I am doing Despite all the focus point controversy, I feel that the AF points are actually more consistent compared to my d600's. I think I will be very happy once I figure out what the heck I am doing I may have to pick up a book on the camera

Btw, I am waiting for amazon to refund me my d800. As soon as they do I will be ordering the 5D mark III also.

I would have gone with the D800E and 5D3. Wait a minute, I did. Best DSLR tandem on the planet in terms of overall IQ and allowing access to the best lenses available from both brands.

With regard to changing the AF point, which dial are you referring to? The basic method seems to work the same as any other Canon DSLR I have ever had.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy. Just say NO! to MAIL-IN REBATES.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D3X Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +17 more
Caerolle
Like?

cs hauser wrote:

Caerolle wrote:

I hadn't thought of that, but yes, moving it up a bit would be good for people with small hands, like me. It is a reach for me to adjust aperture with the camera to my eye, or ISO, or AF points.

On the other hand, people with larger hands might find it more difficult, like the person who replied to you. So, probably hard for them to design something that fits everyone!

Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM
Caerolle
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Dec 11, 2013

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

This is why I prefer the 5d layout, the d pad/wheel combo just didn't work for me like the joystick. I think if I had a 6d though I would probably just use the center af point all of the time. I had contemplated a 6d as a backup at these prices, maybe with a small light prime?

I think certainly the controls are better on the higher-class cameras. I would love to have the features of the 5D MkIII, but it is even bigger and heavier than the 6D, and of course a lot more expensive. If nothing else, I would love the have the AF system of the 7D, at least. But Canon was hitting a price point, and of course wanted to protect sales of the 7D and 5D, so the 6D is what it is. I do really like it, though, and am very happy with it, other than a couple of issues like the AF system and no way to directly access white balance.

I definitely like the prime idea! I only shoot with primes, so that does keep what I have in my hand lighter, if not my overall kit. Though, really, three primes do almost everything I need, and none of them are super-telephoto, so it is not too bad as far as weight and bulk go.

I wonder, though, if you are used to the controls of the 1/5/7D cameras, if the 6D would drive you nuts using it?

Keith Z Leonard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,454Gear list
Like?

Well if you focus and recompose with just the center af point it is fairly similar, top wheel for shutter speed rear wheel for aperture in manual mode.  The back wheel just isn't as nice.  I found your comments about small hands interesting, I have fairly small hands and find the 5d controls perfectly comfortable.  I do think the weight is just a bit more than I like, the 7d is more comfortable, but not by a ton.

Primes are great but they can be huge too, the 85L sure isn't a small or light lens.  My sigma 50 is a decent sized chunk of glass for a 50 as well.  The 40mm pancake, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 35 f2, these are nice small lenses...also inexpensive in comparison to the sigma 35, 50, 85, and canon L primes.

I have some big zooms too, carrying those has a lot to do with strap quality, I don't go out with the 100-400 without my black rapids strap, it makes a big difference.

I still keep an old rebel with the nifty fifty around when I want something digital and light, and sometimes I still take my old ae-1 out.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +13 more
Caerolle
Like?
In reply to Keith Z Leonard, Dec 11, 2013

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

Well if you focus and recompose with just the center af point it is fairly similar, top wheel for shutter speed rear wheel for aperture in manual mode. The back wheel just isn't as nice. I found your comments about small hands interesting, I have fairly small hands and find the 5d controls perfectly comfortable. I do think the weight is just a bit more than I like, the 7d is more comfortable, but not by a ton.

Primes are great but they can be huge too, the 85L sure isn't a small or light lens. My sigma 50 is a decent sized chunk of glass for a 50 as well. The 40mm pancake, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 35 f2, these are nice small lenses...also inexpensive in comparison to the sigma 35, 50, 85, and canon L primes.

I have some big zooms too, carrying those has a lot to do with strap quality, I don't go out with the 100-400 without my black rapids strap, it makes a big difference.

I still keep an old rebel with the nifty fifty around when I want something digital and light, and sometimes I still take my old ae-1 out.

That is good to hear about the 5D! Maybe I will have one some day. At this point, I don't even dare to hold one, or try it out, might be less happy with my little 6D!  

Yes, my primes are the lower-quality ones. At this point I have the 50/1.4 and the newer model of the Tamron 90/2.8 macro, which I am using for macro, close-ups, and portraits at the moment. I don't have any L lenses, though I plan to get the 135 in the spring when I get my bonus. As you know, I was debating on whether to get a Canon 85/1.8 or a Sigma 85/1.4, but the 85L was never in the running, far too expensive and heavy, especially for my needs.

BTW, I ultimately decided on the 85/1.8. It was on sale $100 off, so only $320, and I had some credit card points I could use toward it, so I ordered it last night (I was planning to wait for my bonus for the 85 too, but it only cost me $160 out-of-pocket, so I got it). I can always get a better lens if I find it will really make a difference for me, and having the smaller, lighter lens will still be great.

fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?

Nikonfan99 wrote:

Clearly you have "no clue what I'm doing" or you wouldn't have switched from Nikon to Canon. Turncoat Canon hack.

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?

6D is similar to 60D layout that I used to own.

To select AF point, you'd need to press 'AF point selection' button first, 6D or 5D3 alike before you can select with front wheel or back dial. However 5D3 has a joystick that 6D lacks and can be configured to select AF points directly without having to press 'AF point selection' button first.  But once you get used to it, it's not a big deal.

Congrats on your new purchase.  You will also like 5D3 once you get it later.  They complement very well.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
technotic
Forum MemberPosts: 86Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fog Maker, Dec 11, 2013

I'm not sure what being an experienced photographer has to do with needing a book to learn how best to use a new camera (system).

Nikonfan99
Like?

I am experienced yet the menu system, af system settings of canon is different and the button Assignment is different. Enough for me to either dive into the owners manual or to buy a guide

Nikonfan99
Like?

Thank you but I sorted it out with the help of the previous post on here. It was a menu setting that allowed me to assign the 4 way keypad to adjust AF selection without having to hit AF button first.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads