Is The XQ1 Lens

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
jimr
Forum ProPosts: 11,134
Like?
Is The XQ1 Lens
8 months ago

only a decent performer or is it just that dpreview's sample is not up to par?

Anyone compare its IQ to that of the XF1 and X20?

Www.photographyblog.com  has a distinctly better impression of the XQ1 lens  and the IQ of the camera....

Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm XQ1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
prime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,507
Like?
Re: Is The XQ1 Lens
In reply to jimr, 8 months ago

jimr wrote:

Richard Butler, specifically, has issues. Look at his so-called samples from November 2012 in a round-up article that (later) DPReview labeled a full review of the XF1. (Or don't: they are a joke.)

One suspects that old (badly taken) XF1 samples have been recycled. The sensor of the XQ1 is the same as the sensor of the X20. One would expect, therefore, that the resolution of the XQ1 -- especially at higher ISO values -- will be better than that of the XF1, but the dynamic range of the XQ1 will be inferior to the dynamic range of the XF1 when the XF1 is set to take advantage of EXR capabilities. If -- as several posters on this forum do -- one defines "IQ" to start, to stop, and to end with resolution only, end of story, then the XQ1 is your home boy. But the X20 is much more camera than the XQ1, and at current prices much the better buy.

Www.photographyblog.com has a distinctly better impression of the XQ1 lens and the IQ of the camera....

So do I. Here are a couple of images that I have posted on this forum before, taken with an XF1 at M size, P mode, DR400. Do they seem to you to exhibit poor IQ?  My take: the XF1 lens is superb, and there is no reason to believe that the XQ1 lens will be inferior.

An extremely high contrast scene. Slight breeze, swaying the flower pot; handheld exposure. Best viewed at Original resolution.

Taken with the sun high in the sky on a mountaintop at the Summer Solstice. Go ahead: look at it in "Original" resolution and look at the fine hair above the eyebrow.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,207Gear list
Like?

Hi Jim,

I asked Kim Letkeman about the XQ1 the other day. See his replies below. The XQ1 has a killer feature set, but I'll wait to hear what Kim reports on the image quality.

Kim Letkeman wrote:

John McCormack wrote:

Just wondering whether you - or anyone else here - has any thoughts or experience yet with the X-Trans CMOS II as used in the Fuji XQ1?

PS. I shoot M and DR 400 on my F900 EXR as you so well described in Nothing Special: How to Shoot an EXR Camera

I requested a review sample from Fuji ... if they come through then I will be able to form an opinion. what I've seen so far includes extreme sharpness, not so great handling of DR, and less than stellar low light ...

I sent in the review agreement this afternoon ... should have the XQ1 before the weekend. Looking forward to writing this one up ...

-- hide signature --
jimr
Like?
In reply to John McCormack, 8 months ago

Thank you John. As always great hearing from you.. Wonder what Kim will conclude...

Jennyhappy2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,036Gear list
Like?
XQ1 vs S120

I am mainly interested on how the IQ compares between the XQ1 and S120.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_xq1_review/conclusion/

Design 5
Features 4.5
Ease-of-use 4.5
Image quality 4.5
Value for money 5

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_powershot_s120_review/conclusion/

Design 4.5
Features 5
Ease-of-use 4.5
Image quality 4.5
Value for money 3.5

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,513Gear list
Like?

jimr wrote:

Www.photographyblog.com has a distinctly better impression of the XQ1 lens and the IQ of the camera....

I'm getting a review sample shortly (signed the paperwork today) so will be able to add one more data point.

EDIT: I just read John's post ... should have done that earlier

So ... review sites ... DPReview brings a lot of inconsistency between individual reviewers and the still life comparator is weaker than it used to be, although the addition of low light was a nice touch; imaging-resource has stopped shooting the low light mannequin in their first series of images these days, which is most unfortunate as it was the most illuminating of them all; DCReview has terrible inconsistency in key samples like the tunnel test ... makes for raging debates over bad data. The various blogs don't excite me much and I personally don't have enough time and don't get access to enough cameras ... sigh ...

-- hide signature --
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
jimr
Like?
Kim...Thank you. I Am Sure That A XA1 vs. XM1 IQ Comparison Would
In reply to Kim Letkeman, 8 months ago

be very very welcome and helpful for many. A JPEG only comparison and a separate RAW comparison using the best software available for each .....as both cameras seem to perform better usung different software ...would be most beneficial instead of limiting yourself to one software for both where one camera would automatically have an upper hand in the RAW processing...

BTW when I say JPEG only...OOC comparison is what I would love to see...

Thank you!

Jim

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,513Gear list
Like?
Re: Kim...Thank you. I Am Sure That A XA1 vs. XM1 IQ Comparison Would

jimr wrote:

be very very welcome and helpful for many. A JPEG only comparison and a separate RAW comparison using the best software available for each .....as both cameras seem to perform better usung different software ...would be most beneficial instead of limiting yourself to one software for both where one camera would automatically have an upper hand in the RAW processing...

BTW when I say JPEG only...OOC comparison is what I would love to see...

Thank you!

Jim

Thanks ... I agree with the OOC.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Elyharbour
Contributing MemberPosts: 645Gear list
Like?

jimr wrote:

I have an X20 and an XF1 (same lens as the XQ1 I understand). Now, there does seem to be some variability in XF1 lenses (I've tried three cameras with different results) and my XF1 is the middle of the three in IQ.

But having stated that, my X20 images are in a different league when it comes to sharpness. Hugely better. Now is that the sensor / lens / or the combination of both? I don't know. I'm very keen to see comparable XQ1 images with the sort of detail to help me answer that question (cityscapes for example). I don't think I'll get that from a review site, but as soon as they are in the shops I'm going to try one vs. both XF1 and X20.

Elyharbour's gear list:Elyharbour's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X20 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
John McCormack
Like?
Re: XQ1 vs S120. Features = 4.5 for XQ1?
In reply to Jennyhappy2, 8 months ago

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

Design 5
Features 4.5
Ease-of-use 4.5
Image quality 4.5
Value for money 5

Design 4.5
Features 5
Ease-of-use 4.5
Image quality 4.5
Value for money 3.5

I don't get the (granted small) edge to S120 for Features. The XQ1 beats the S120 with its E-Fn menu alone. I have the E-Fn menu on my F900EXR and it's great. Photographyblog.com lists the XQ1 features that include [underlines are mine] " ISO range of 100-12,800, full range of manual controls, Focus Peaking for easier manual focusing, raw image capture and development, an integrated manual pop-up flash, a range film simulation modes and creative effects, 360° motion panoramas, 3cm macro mode and an electronic level gauge."

I guess I don't know what features they prefer on the S120.

Jennyhappy2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,036Gear list
Like?
Re: XQ1 vs S120. Features = 4.5 for XQ1?
In reply to John McCormack, 8 months ago

Good points you have highlighted.

John McCormack wrote:

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

Design 5
Features 4.5
Ease-of-use 4.5
Image quality 4.5
Value for money 5

Design 4.5
Features 5
Ease-of-use 4.5
Image quality 4.5
Value for money 3.5

I don't get the (granted small) edge to S120 for Features. The XQ1 beats the S120 with its E-Fn menu alone. I have the E-Fn menu on my F900EXR and it's great. Photographyblog.com lists the XQ1 features that include [underlines are mine] " ISO range of 100-12,800, full range of manual controls, Focus Peaking for easier manual focusing, raw image capture and development, an integrated manual pop-up flash, a range film simulation modes and creative effects, 360° motion panoramas, 3cm macro mode and an electronic level gauge."

John McCormack
Like?
Re: XQ1 vs S120. And Even the Pana. LX7
In reply to Jennyhappy2, 8 months ago

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

Good points you have highlighted.

John McCormack wrote:

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

Design 5
Features 4.5
Ease-of-use 4.5
Image quality 4.5
Value for money 5

Design 4.5
Features 5
Ease-of-use 4.5
Image quality 4.5
Value for money 3.5

I'd throw in the Panasonic LX7 against the XQ1, since the LX7 price is hovering around $300. now, has a great track record and much faster lens than either the S120 or XQ1, especially at the long end where you get f/2.3 at 90mm. The LX7 is a bit larger but has lots of manual controls - and if you like wide angle the multi-aspect sensor on the LX7 goes to 22mm in 16:9 aspect ratio (at least from what I've read on the Pana. forum.)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads