Stunned and Amazed

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Jimmy jang Boo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?
Stunned and Amazed
9 months ago

Oh man, the GR is smaller and lighter than I imagined. It feels lighter than my Pentax Q, and it fits much better in my pocket. I can't help but think, surely there must be some mistake! Is this little thing the same camera I've been reading about? Wow! Unreal. Seems more like an anti camera than camera to me.

I took my time with this purchase. I considered many other options, including the Cool Pix A, Sigma Merrill, Fuji X etc. Last week I handled an RX-100 and Panny GM1. The ergonomics on those cameras are among the worst I've ever felt. The GR not only feels 100 times better; it is superior in every way that matters to me. I want something small and light, built like a tank with the best possible image quality, that feels relevant. On paper the GR looked like my best bet. Now that I have one before me I am completely in awe.

Jimmy jang Boo's gear list:Jimmy jang Boo's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,188Gear list
Like?
Re: Stunned and Amazed
In reply to Jimmy jang Boo, 9 months ago

Have fun! My experience is similar.

-- hide signature --
 phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Russell Dawkins
Regular MemberPosts: 197Gear list
Like?
In reply to phazelag, 9 months ago

This is a camera you can fall in love with!

Russell Dawkins's gear list:Russell Dawkins's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-01
bcc1955
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?

I am waiting for my special edition version.  I highly recommend the belt case, which will enable more shots than a cell phone!  Enjoy!!

photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,175
Like?
There's a problem with that...
In reply to bcc1955, 9 months ago

bcc1955 wrote:

I am waiting for my special edition version. I highly recommend the belt case, which will enable more shots than a cell phone! Enjoy!!

A problem for me, at least. The GR LE includes a nice neck strap too, but you'll probably want to replace it with a hand strap if you attach the case to your belt so you won't have a neck strap hanging down to your knees. But if you want to use the neck strap, then to keep one end of the strap from making the tight fitting case even tighter you'd want to attach the strap to the top and bottom of the hand grip side of the GR. This way one end of the strap won't have to enter the case. I tried this but with the strap attached to the camera this way it made it harder to use the strap when shooting, with one end of the strap crossing and blocking the back of the GR when the neck strap was worn around my neck.

So I've attached a hand strap to the GR instead and now the case needs to be attached to a belt. But the case doesn't hold the GR nearly as securely as Ricoh's leather cases for the GRD III and IV, because these cases have the strong magnets that keep the top leather flap from easily opening. To keep the GR's leather case looking nice and stylish, the magnets are hidden inside the leather, but this makes the magnets much more feeble, and the flap opens much too easily. The flap on the older cases are not removable but the flap on the GR's case is attached to it with two metal snaps, and like the feeble magnets, it doesn't take much effort for the snaps to pop open. So all things considered, unlike Ricoh's excellent camera designers that produced the GRs and the GRX, it appears that the GR's case was designed by fashion designers that were more interested in making a nice looking case than one that worked well. So I've replaced the GR's case with a slightly larger nylon case that doesn't look quite as nice, but it's a more practical, usable case for the GR that keeps dirt out and it even has room to hold another battery.

Harold66
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,393Gear list
Like?

Hello Jimmy

Welcome to the little family of Ricoh GR users. Once you get the gist of it , do not forget to post pictures made with it

Harold

-- hide signature --

www.harold-glit.com
www.modelmayhem.com/haroldglit

Harold66's gear list:Harold66's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro +14 more
Jack Simpson
Forum ProPosts: 10,903Gear list
Like?
Re:Jimmy J_B// Stunned and Amazed

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

Oh man, the GR is smaller and lighter than I imagined. It feels lighter than my Pentax Q, and it fits much better in my pocket. I can't help but think, surely there must be some mistake! Is this little thing the same camera I've been reading about? Wow! Unreal. Seems more like an anti camera than camera to me.

I took my time with this purchase. I considered many other options, including the Cool Pix A, Sigma Merrill, Fuji X etc. Last week I handled an RX-100 and Panny GM1. The ergonomics on those cameras are among the worst I've ever felt. The GR not only feels 100 times better; it is superior in every way that matters to me. I want something small and light, built like a tank with the best possible image quality, that feels relevant. On paper the GR looked like my best bet. Now that I have one before me I am completely in awe.

I've just got the wee sensor one, Jimmy, and I've blown away .. I can't imagine the large(r) sensor one ..... BTW, arriving in Penticton at around 6:30am on the 22nd of December, if ya wanna do some early morning shooting I'm there to Boxing day I'll PM phone numbers

Cheers, have fun and good shooting

Jack

-- hide signature --

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0
(*UPDATED NOV 16th*)MY BLOG.... www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com
****MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'****
It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax K-r Pentax Q7 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM
Jimmy jang Boo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jack Simpson, 9 months ago

Jack Simpson wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

Oh man, the GR is smaller and lighter than I imagined. It feels lighter than my Pentax Q...

I've just got the wee sensor one, Jimmy, and I've blown away .. I can't imagine the large(r) sensor one ..... BTW, arriving in Penticton at around 6:30am on the 22nd of December, if ya wanna do some early morning shooting I'm there to Boxing day I'll PM phone numbers

Sounds good to me. I bet you mom will be happy to see you again. Did you ever replace your Q?

Jimmy jang Boo's gear list:Jimmy jang Boo's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
Jack Simpson
Forum ProPosts: 10,903Gear list
Like?

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

Jack Simpson wrote:

Jimmy jang Boo wrote:

Oh man, the GR is smaller and lighter than I imagined. It feels lighter than my Pentax Q...

Sounds good to me.

So,Jimmy, we'll see you at the bus station

I bet you mom will be happy to see you again.

I hoping so :o  I really should let her know when I arriving

Did you ever replace your Q?

In the process …. Q7 and 02/06 lenses.   Ricoh-Imaging (Canada) wouldn't me purchase a rep's demo

Cheers,

Jack

-- hide signature --

STREET PHOTOGRAPHY DOCUMENTARY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkHKP4Gnd0
(*UPDATED NOV 16th*)MY BLOG.... www.nakedmanonawire.blogspot.com
****MY EMAIL ADDRESS IN IS MY 'VIEW PLAN'****
It's amazing what one can do when one doesn't know what one is doing

Jack Simpson's gear list:Jack Simpson's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax K-r Pentax Q7 Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM
bcc1955
Like?
Re: There's a problem with that...
In reply to photoreddi, 9 months ago

photoreddi wrote:

But the case doesn't hold the GR nearly as securely as Ricoh's leather cases for the GRD III and IV, because these cases have the strong magnets that keep the top leather flap from easily opening.

So all things considered, unlike Ricoh's excellent camera designers that produced the GRs and the GRX, it appears that the GR's case was designed by fashion designers that were more interested in making a nice looking cas than one that worked well.

Ouch!!! Thanks for the info !!! I was anticipating the case to be similar to my Ricoh GRD3 one which is awesome. The included case was my rationalization for getting the special edition. It looks like I may be trying to make some modifications to the case to fix the issues you mentioned. I absolutely do not want a bulky case with extra pockets for batteries and such. I want it lean and mean but protective (although not dust wise and that slows the wonderful access one has with the GRD3 case). What a horrible decision by Ricoh. Perhaps a Pentax division had some hand in it?

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,206Gear list
Like?

photoreddi wrote:

bcc1955 wrote:

I am waiting for my special edition version. I highly recommend the belt case, which will enable more shots than a cell phone! Enjoy!!

A problem for me, at least. The GR LE includes a nice neck strap too, but you'll probably want to replace it with a hand strap if you attach the case to your belt so you won't have a neck strap hanging down to your knees. But if you want to use the neck strap, then to keep one end of the strap from making the tight fitting case even tighter you'd want to attach the strap to the top and bottom of the hand grip side of the GR. This way one end of the strap won't have to enter the case. I tried this but with the strap attached to the camera this way it made it harder to use the strap when shooting, with one end of the strap crossing and blocking the back of the GR when the neck strap was worn around my neck.

So I've attached a hand strap to the GR instead and now the case needs to be attached to a belt. But the case doesn't hold the GR nearly as securely as Ricoh's leather cases for the GRD III and IV, because these cases have the strong magnets that keep the top leather flap from easily opening. To keep the GR's leather case looking nice and stylish, the magnets are hidden inside the leather, but this makes the magnets much more feeble, and the flap opens much too easily. The flap on the older cases are not removable but the flap on the GR's case is attached to it with two metal snaps, and like the feeble magnets, it doesn't take much effort for the snaps to pop open. So all things considered, unlike Ricoh's excellent camera designers that produced the GRs and the GRX, it appears that the GR's case was designed by fashion designers that were more interested in making a nice looking case than one that worked well. So I've replaced the GR's case with a slightly larger nylon case that doesn't look quite as nice, but it's a more practical, usable case for the GR that keeps dirt out and it even has room to hold another battery.

The case was designed to leave the top off while shooting For quick access to the camera.  I like the older cases better as well but this is just the way this one is.  I don't mind it, just the way it is.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

bcc1955
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, 9 months ago

@Joel

I will keep an open mind about the case. Maybe I will like it just fine. A good picture is here http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3785/9094806818_51ac399340_b.jpg

Looks like they may have tried to make is easier and quieter (no clic from bare magnets) to remove the camera.  And if you are really actively shooting you can even remove the top flap.  I am sure it is less secure but it may be fine.  I do like that they kept the edges of the case extended to protect the camera in a drop.

Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,206Gear list
Like?

bcc1955 wrote:

@Joel

I will keep an open mind about the case. Maybe I will like it just fine. A good picture is here http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3785/9094806818_51ac399340_b.jpg

Looks like they may have tried to make is easier and quieter (no clic from bare magnets) to remove the camera. And if you are really actively shooting you can even remove the top flap. I am sure it is less secure but it may be fine. I do like that they kept the edges of the case extended to protect the camera in a drop.

I did finally get one on Friday.  I did notice the weaker magnets but it seemed fine after opening and closing a couple of times. I am more concerned about the snap back and losing the top, but that is most likely ill founded. Good luck with it bcc, I bet it will work fine.

-- hide signature --

If i am typing on my iPad, please excuse any typos.

photoreddi
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, 9 months ago

Joel Stern wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

bcc1955 wrote:

The case was designed to leave the top off while shooting For quick access to the camera. I like the older cases better as well but this is just the way this one is. I don't mind it, just the way it is.

I realize that but it doesn't fit the way I use it, and if it did, I'd still have preferred the magnets and the snaps to be a little stronger like Ricoh's previous cases. I don't usually use belt loops, preferring to have the camera ready in my hand, secured with a wrist strap so that it's a bit quicker to put into action. I still work this way (hand straps) with DSLRs too, but with the GR and smaller cameras I'd rather have them in a fully enclosed case so I can carry them in a pocket without worrying about lint and grit getting to the camera.

The leather case is tight enough so that there should be no worry about the GR falling out, at least while it's fairly new and stiff, but I'd still feel a lot more secure not having to worry about a top flap that might come off a bit too easily if hit by branches or an arm, or just by bouncing out when jogging, if the case's leather gets broken in and the fit gets looser with age. A number of years ago I had an Olympus camera fall out of a bag. Shhh, don't tell anyone. It was a shopping bag, not a camera case.   Still, that may be why I prefer to be more cautious.

bcc1955
Like?

@photoreddy

I use a wrist strap as well, but find a belt case to make the whole deal painless.  I certainly do not want to be bothered to have a camera in my hand constantly.  I drive a car, a motorbike, drink coffee, shop, etc.  It is just not at all practical.  The belt case is the most painless way to carry a camera IMO.

photoreddi
Like?

bcc1955 wrote:

@photoreddy

I use a wrist strap as well, but find a belt case to make the whole deal painless. I certainly do not want to be bothered to have a camera in my hand constantly. I drive a car, a motorbike, drink coffee, shop, etc. It is just not at all practical. The belt case is the most painless way to carry a camera IMO.

You're really stretching what I wrote by assuming that I'd drive a car or motorbike while holding a camera in my hand. I also wouldn't even _try_  to take photos while driving except in extremely rare situations. It's just not worth the risk. Also, while holding a camera in my right hand, I can easily hold a large, heavy 20+ ounce ceramic mug in my left hand whether standing or sitting at a table, and if I'm sitting, I have no problem placing the camera on the table.

The small camera weighs far less than many of the things I'm likely to hold in my other hand (not when the camera is a DSLR) so if I need to hold something in my other hand, most of the time I have no problem doing so, whether I hold the small camera simultaneously or just let it dangle by the wrist strap. In the few cases where this wouldn't be practical, as I wrote, I'd just put the camera back in its case and then put the case in a jacket pocket. If the weather is too warm for wearing jackets, then the case is attached to my belt. This is all very practical for me but I'm not trying to argue that it would also be practical for you. Not everyone has the same pain threshold.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads