how target at your object in manual focus mode by using the afl-button?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
microbi
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
how target at your object in manual focus mode by using the afl-button?
11 months ago

i like to use my cameras with a second af-button. i didnt like to activate the af with the shutter release.
the only way at ricoh gr is, to switch the camera in manual focus mode and use the afl-button for focusing.
but for this you didn't have the af-marker on the display – too bad.
if i could switch off the af-activation on the shutter release, then i would have the af-marker on the display and its would be easy to target my object and focus by the afl-button.
the pure manual focus mode its not what i like.
but the way how ricoh implementet it, is a little but stupid and less helpful.

so i stick a little dot of transparecy film right in the middle of the display. not so nice, but it works!
how did you target at your object in manual focus mode by using the afl-button?

-- hide signature --

marco.microbi

microbi's gear list:microbi's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +12 more
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 19,024
Like?
Re: how target at your object in manual focus mode by using the afl-button?
In reply to microbi, 11 months ago

microbi wrote:

i like to use my cameras with a second af-button. i didnt like to activate the af with the shutter release.
the only way at ricoh gr is, to switch the camera in manual focus mode and use the afl-button for focusing.
but for this you didn't have the af-marker on the display – too bad.
if i could switch off the af-activation on the shutter release, then i would have the af-marker on the display and its would be easy to target my object and focus by the afl-button.
the pure manual focus mode its not what i like.
but the way how ricoh implementet it, is a little but stupid and less helpful.

so i stick a little dot of transparecy film right in the middle of the display. not so nice, but it works!
how did you target at your object in manual focus mode by using the afl-button?

-- hide signature --

marco.microbi

I don't like the GR manual focus - too clumsy.

What works for me is:

Set Mode2 focus peaking assist.

Set pinpoint focus.

Set Fn2 to MF/AF toggle

Leave Fn1 as default FA/Move Target

Method:

Easy - use AF and pinpoint to get focus, press Fn2 to lock focus or to merely enter manual focus - use Fn2 to toggle back and forth as necessary; or

More complex - Press Fn1 to get peaked screen then press magnify toggle to get magnified peaked screen - use soft press to focus on tiniest detail - peaking confirms this even in AF, magnification helps to give precision.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
msgf4pt5
New MemberPosts: 15Gear list
Like?
Re: how target at your object in manual focus mode by using the afl-button?
In reply to microbi, 11 months ago

"so i stick a little dot of transparecy film right in the middle of the display. not so nice, but it works!
how did you target at your object in manual focus mode by using the afl-button?"

You could use the crosshair type grid display which will give you a center targeting point when using the AFL button.

Setup menu>>>Grid Gude Display Options>>> scroll down to the second display.

On manual focus mode the focus box is displayed only once focus is locked and not before.

With the crosshair grid you have always have a center target point.

msgf4pt5's gear list:msgf4pt5's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon Pixma Pro-100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads