flash compensation range too small?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
microbi
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
flash compensation range too small?
8 months ago

hi, i own a ricoh gr for some weeks after seven year ago when i used a ricoh grd I fot the first time.

i like to take pictures with flashes, and my problem is the range of the flash compensation.

i use it in manual mode to select aperture and time to level the ambient light around -1.

then i use the internal flash, but the flash exposure is too bright.

it would be okay to a little bit overexposed if the flash light the only one.

but its not, and so i use the flash compensation at -2 and its not enough!

i would prefer a range like -3 to +1 like my dslr.

whats your operating experience and opinion?

-- hide signature --

marco.microbi

microbi's gear list:microbi's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +11 more
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 2,098Gear list
Like?
Re: flash compensation range too small?
In reply to microbi, 8 months ago

I just did some testing to confirm my suspicion on your issue.  In manual mode the camera is being told how to meter the scene or even if it is how would it know that what you expect.   I am guessing it starts at a baseline and moves up and down from there.  In using manual settings that I copied from spot metering a subject in Av Mode the FEV was week as you say.

But when I just tried it back in Aperture Priority with matching settings to manual mode and used Spot metering the flash match my scene much better and FEV minus 2 went very dark.  So I think TTL may not be used in Manual because how would it know which metering to use as you are setting the exposure not the camera.  I would have thought metering would still talk to the flash but maybe not on this camera?

Let me know if I have this wrong, but I have tested a few times now.

-- hide signature --
 phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
abluesky
Regular MemberPosts: 311Gear list
Like?
In reply to phazelag, 8 months ago

phazelag wrote:

I just did some testing to confirm my suspicion on your issue. In manual mode the camera is being told how to meter the scene or even if it is how would it know that what you expect. I am guessing it starts at a baseline and moves up and down from there. In using manual settings that I copied from spot metering a subject in Av Mode the FEV was week as you say.

But when I just tried it back in Aperture Priority with matching settings to manual mode and used Spot metering the flash match my scene much better and FEV minus 2 went very dark. So I think TTL may not be used in Manual because how would it know which metering to use as you are setting the exposure not the camera. I would have thought metering would still talk to the flash but maybe not on this camera?

Let me know if I have this wrong, but I have tested a few times now.

-- hide signature --

That is an interesting find!

abluesky's gear list:abluesky's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-01
msgf4pt5
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
In reply to microbi, 8 months ago

Have you tried to adjust the Manual Flash Amount setting?

Shooting menu>>>Manual Flash Amount

Play with the adjustment. You could also increase/ decrease your ISO for more/ less flash.

HTH

msgf4pt5's gear list:msgf4pt5's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Ricoh GR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
microbi
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
In reply to msgf4pt5, 8 months ago

msgf4pt5 wrote:

Have you tried to adjust the Manual Flash Amount setting?

yes, this was my second choise - it works.

and i forget: flash mode was "slow".
i prefer this due the winter time and indoor shooting.
it works better in "flash on" (longest time 1/40).
i need more testing to find more regularity in the flash exposure.

-- hide signature --

marco.microbi

microbi's gear list:microbi's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads