Replacement battery for RX10?

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
Yvan/G2
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Replacement battery for RX10?
Dec 11, 2013

On Amazon I have seen many replacement batteries for the Sony NP-FW50 battery that is used in the RX10.

I am tempted by the UpStart - Fully Decoded NP-FW-50 .

If someone has ordered one of those for the RX10, I would much like to know if it worked properly and how it performed when compared to the original.

Is there a code in the original Sony battery that is verified when the camera is turned on?

Thanks!

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mikegoat
Regular MemberPosts: 404Gear list
Like?
Re: Replacement battery for RX10?
In reply to Yvan/G2, Dec 11, 2013

Be sure the seller actually says it works in the RX-10. I went through buying the correct aftermarket model number but it was not specifically coded to the RX-10 and did not work. You need to look hard or you will waste your time

mikegoat's gear list:mikegoat's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mikegoat
Regular MemberPosts: 404Gear list
Like?
This works on the RX-10
 mikegoat's gear list:mikegoat's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +6 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,325Gear list
Like?
As another poster wrote, the Wasabi ones seem to work.

It might be a crap shoot because the camera is so new. I just ordered a two batteries/charger set ($28)  from an HK eBay seller that listed the batteries as working in the RX10, but that doesn't mean that the batteries have actually been tested in the camera. If they don't work, I'll just return them, maybe keeping the charger as that is one of the reasons I made that purchase - I can't stand the in-camera charging routine of the camera. It's lame.

Amazingly, when I got the new camera home a couple of days ago I discovered that a 3 or 4 year-old no-name eBay battery bought for my A33 (and found in the bottom of a drawer since I sold the camera a couple of years ago) worked fine - and it's been the only battery in the camera so far. It even still had a bit of a charge in it. It shows the power level percentage just like the Sony battery and seems accurate. So, hopefully, my eBay ones will be similar.

As far as comparisons with original batteries, I've always thought that a bit silly. There are so many variables, especially temperature in the winter, chimping, EVF usage, that most comments I read are very unscientific and useless. And, who cares? Anyone expecting an $8 eBay battery to perform the same as, or even close to, a $50 Sony original is, um, a little off. So far, I'm quite pleased with this old cheapie I have in the camera now - it's on its third day and I've been doing a lot of testing of the video and it's still at about 40%.

Lastly, I've been very happy with the Watson brand batteries I bought at B&H for my GH3. Three hours of unattended video recording and still showing strong charge. If I found some from that company for the RX10, I'd certainly get one or two. I'm working in Korea, so I have to rely on sources, usually from eBay, who will ship internationally.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
bikemate11
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?

Ordered this one from Amazon and it appears to be as good as the Sony original.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005HOXE6G/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

bikemate11's gear list:bikemate11's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,360Gear list
Like?
Just beware

that if Sony issues a firmware update, you 3rd party battery may no longer work.

No worth taking a chance for me.

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4
Corkcampbell
Like?
True, but Sony hasn't been doing that.
In reply to Greg Gebhardt, Dec 11, 2013

Maybe because it alienates customers and they know that the third party manufacturers will quickly reverse engineer and bring out compatible ones. I think that happened with Panasonic a few years ago. And yes, I read the news today about Nikon doing it, although I didn't go through all of the comments. We'll just have to see what happens. But, I'm not going to buy a $50 battery because my $10 might not work some day. If FW does that we'll hear about it and can decide to upgrade or not. I've had Sony dSLRs and dSLTs since they bought KM's division and it hasn't happened with that line.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Chris43
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
Some Aftermarket batteries might stick a bit...
In reply to Corkcampbell, Dec 11, 2013

The original Sony battery for my A55 obviously works fine in my brand new shiny RX10, which arrived yesterday evening. I have tried the "compatible" ones that I bought to support the Sony one with my A55, and those work as well.

However, there must be a tighter tolerance on the battery compartment in the RX10 than on the A55 as the compatible battery needs a helping hand to remove it, whereas the Sony ones just pop out as they should.

I thought I ought to mention.

....but though early days, it looks as though the battery drain on the RX10, even with power zoom, is gong to be less than on my A55, which is good news.

Chris43's gear list:Chris43's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Google Nexus 7
Corkcampbell
Like?
If I remember correctly, I had that problem with one of my A33 batteries.

I bought a couple of after-market ones when I got the A33, which had just been introduced. As you probably know, the A33/55 took the NEX batteries. So, one was sticky, but it worked okay. I sold most of them with the camera, but luckily I found I still had one and am quite pleased with the way it works in my new camera, especially since it's so old and hasn't been charged in years. I hope the two that I ordered from an eBayer work as well.

-- hide signature --

Chris43
Contributing MemberPosts: 572Gear list
Like?
Re: As another poster wrote, the Wasabi ones seem to work.
In reply to Corkcampbell, Dec 11, 2013

Corkcampbell wrote:

Lastly, I've been very happy with the Watson brand batteries I bought at B&H for my GH3. Three hours of unattended video recording and still showing strong charge. If I found some from that company for the RX10, I'd certainly get one or two. I'm working in Korea, so I have to rely on sources, usually from eBay, who will ship internationally.

B&H have both the FP-NW50 equivalent and a separate charger from Watson. Not the cheapest compatible, but worth a look maybe.

Chris43's gear list:Chris43's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Google Nexus 7
Deepbank
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
In reply to Yvan/G2, Dec 12, 2013

I just received a battery charger($15) and replacement battery($16.50) that is compatible with the RX10.  The battery worked perfectly and the charger worked with the existing Sony battery.  Took about 9 days by mail to Canada!!  The links to BestBatt.com are shown below:

http://www.bestbatt.com/Sony-NP-FW50-Battery-Charger-p/bbnpfwchg.htm

http://www.bestbatt.com/Sony-NP-FW50-W-Series-Battery-p/bbnpfw50.htm

-- hide signature --

Deepbank

Deepbank's gear list:Deepbank's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Corkcampbell
Like?
Thanks for the tip and links.
In reply to Deepbank, Dec 12, 2013

Shipping is $13.50 for me, but if my HK eBay batteries don't work, I may go that route since you've indicated the battery and charger is fine. The charger will also charge the original Sony battery, right?

-- hide signature --

Deepbank
Like?
Re: Thanks for the tip and links.
In reply to Corkcampbell, Dec 12, 2013

Yes that is correct, in fact I have the Sony battery sitting in the charger right now and the red charging indicator light just changed to green indicating the battery is fully charged.

-- hide signature --

Deepbank

Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
fiskadoro
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?
In reply to Deepbank, 9 months ago

Hey Deepbank,

Reviving an old thread, I know -- hope you are still on here!

Are these batteries from BestBatt still working out for you? I was thinking of grabbing a battery and charger from here, but wanted to find out how they are doing.

Also (and maybe someone else would know this, too) do non-Sony batteries show the battery percentage on the RX10's displays?

Thanks in advance.

fiskadoro's gear list:fiskadoro's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Stylus 1 Canon PowerShot G7 X Apple iPhone 5s
amhall
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?
In reply to fiskadoro, 9 months ago

THe Wasabi batteries, sold by Blue Nook on Amazon, work well for me and DO show the % life remaining on the RX10.

-- hide signature --

Alan

amhall's gear list:amhall's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony RX100 II Sony a6000
Corkcampbell
Like?
Don't know about all batteries, but...
In reply to fiskadoro, 9 months ago

...but I have two eBay batteries that work fine in my RX10 and show the percentages. One is actually an old one from the days when I had an A33; many Sony cameras use/used this battery, including the first NEX models (which is what my A33 battery was originally marketed for). For third-party batteries, I like Watson, which can be bought at B&H, but cost a little more - about halfway between eBay cheapies and originals.

-- hide signature --

IT Troll
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
In reply to Yvan/G2, 9 months ago

I prefer to run my cameras with genuine batteries now. In the past I had a replacement battery for a Panasonic camera which would randomly and suddenly drop from 70% to 10% charge during use. Once you have had a cheap battery let you down at a crucial moment you will never go back.

For the RX10 I have gone for the Sony ACC-VW kit which comprises both a BC-VW1 charger and an NP-FW50 battery. I found an eBay seller doing the kit for £52 (South Korea import) which I didn't think was too bad for the genuine boxed item.

IT Troll's gear list:IT Troll's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Apple iPhone 5 Apple iPad WiFi
IT Troll
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
In reply to IT Troll, 8 months ago

IT Troll wrote:

For the RX10 I have gone for the Sony ACC-VW kit which comprises both a BC-VW1 charger and an NP-FW50 battery. I found an eBay seller doing the kit for £52 (South Korea import) which I didn't think was too bad for the genuine boxed item.

My charger kit arrived today, took 10 days to arrive. Spot on genuine Sony equipment as described. I got them from eBay seller ifgmarket if someone else is looking for the same.

IT Troll's gear list:IT Troll's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Apple iPhone 5 Apple iPad WiFi
BobK77
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?
In reply to Yvan/G2, 8 months ago

Yvan/G2 wrote:

On Amazon I have seen many replacement batteries for the Sony NP-FW50 battery that is used in the RX10.

I am tempted by the UpStart - Fully Decoded NP-FW-50 .

If someone has ordered one of those for the RX10, I would much like to know if it worked properly and how it performed when compared to the original.

Is there a code in the original Sony battery that is verified when the camera is turned on?

Thanks!

I used this with NEX and now with RX10. Works really good.

Wasabi

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049WBZEK/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BobK77's gear list:BobK77's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D5200 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C
Deepbank
Like?
In reply to fiskadoro, 7 months ago

fiskadoro wrote:

Hey Deepbank,

Reviving an old thread, I know -- hope you are still on here!

Are these batteries from BestBatt still working out for you? I was thinking of grabbing a battery and charger from here, but wanted to find out how they are doing.

Also (and maybe someone else would know this, too) do non-Sony batteries show the battery percentage on the RX10's displays?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Fiskadora,

Sorry for the late reply ... the battery from BestBatt has worked out only OK, it does not last quite as long as the original Sony battery.  I would guess maybe 80% as long.  Yes, the battery life display icon works for this battery.

-- hide signature --

Deepbank

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads