First post! New X-Pro 1 user!

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Punchdrunk
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
First post! New X-Pro 1 user!
8 months ago

Hi folks, first post!

So, as a camera shop employee of many years and avid Nikon user since the D1x I must confess I have long found myself tired as a photographer, throughly bored of the bulk and hassle of my (now sold) D300 + lenses (even though I did love the pictures I got from it) I'd really stopped shooting at all outside of work related stuff.

After a brief flirtation with working in the business of cloud computing, I recently returned to the camera world; for the first time in years I found myself with Nikon glass but with no body to mount it on!

I road-tested every current camera we have, from the Alpha A7 and Lumix GX7 to the D800

Tonight I took home the X-Pro 1.

I know the AF isn't perfect, I know it's got some idiosyncrasies to its handling...

but by God if this camera isn't FUN to use!!

on my brief jaunt home I snapped a few shots off and then it came to me, this is the most enjoyable camera I've used since my OM-1n!!

sorry, I know this is a bit of a waffly post and not heavy on "tech talk" but I had enough of that on the other side of the counter today, I'm sure I shall soon be discussing the merits of a concave or convex soft shutter soon enough

PGR streetshooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 970Gear list
Like?
Re: First post! New X-Pro 1 user!
In reply to Punchdrunk, 8 months ago

Welcome and congrats on the camera. Don't listen to that nonsense about slow AF.....it's a great camera and I use it more than any other. I highly suggest you get Rico's book on the camera. It's very informative.

Post some photos when your ready....that's my thing...images...

PGR streetshooter's gear list:PGR streetshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
57even
Senior MemberPosts: 5,696Gear list
Like?
Well done!

You got the point. Fun makes for imagination which makes for better shots.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Dennis2958
Regular MemberPosts: 478Gear list
Like?

I made a similar move in September after a million years of using SLR & DSLRs.  While I still have one D800 for action and other specialized shooting, my Fuji XPro1 is moving into an 85% role of my total shooting.  Granted it is a tough adjustment for me but I am loving it.

I share your enthusiasm.  As a former camera store owner I know where you are coming from with the technical stuff.  In the end it's always only about the finished picture.

dennis

Dennis2958's gear list:Dennis2958's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,380Gear list
Like?

You've got the hook! If a camera is a joy to use, you'll use it more; if you use it more, you'll take a lot more pictures; if you take a lot more pictures you'll become adept with the camera and you'll make better images. The Fuji feedback loop is rather clever.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Marx81
Regular MemberPosts: 416Gear list
Like?
 Marx81's gear list:Marx81's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads