E-PL2 vs more current models?

Started Dec 11, 2013 | Discussions
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,980Gear list
Like?
E-PL2 vs more current models?
Dec 11, 2013

I have a photo friend who would like to get into using ILCs.  He recently found a local deal for a E-PL2 + 14-42mm lens, in LN condition, for a real bargain.  Though I have dabbled in m4/3rds a little bit, I can't advise him as to how this older m4/3rds camera compares to the newer (and more expensive) models.  He's a good photographer, and has used some of the more revered P&S cameras.  So he knows a little about the good vs. the bad.  Is this E-PL2 something that he should consider to wet his m4/3rds whistle, or should he forget it?

We both know there are many, many other m4/3rds.  But could/should this be one for him to try out, or should it be forgotten, and he should wait for something else down the road.  He does like the size and style of the E-PL2.  And the price is right.

I'll pass along any/all comments concerning his dilemma.  Thanks.

Olympus PEN E-PL2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Isacas
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?
Re: E-PL2 vs more current models?
In reply to BobT, Dec 11, 2013

I have an EM5 and an EPL2 and I love both... The sensor in the EPL2 has fewer megapixels, is older and has more noise at higher ISO, but it is an excellent camera and certainly worth having, especially if he gets it at a good price. The EPL2 feels right in my hand. Tell him to make sure to activate the Super Control Panel, to make access to the menus easier. I highly recommend the trusty EPL2 and its beautiful colors!!

Isacas's gear list:Isacas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
broody
Regular MemberPosts: 427
Like?
In reply to Isacas, Dec 11, 2013

It's probably the best form factor Olympus has ever released for its PEN series. The sensor is a little outdated and no good past ISO 800. Autofocus is somewhat slower than newer cameras. That said, it will take damn fine pictures with good glass in front of it, and Oly colors will never disappoint.

BobT
Like?
In reply to broody, Dec 11, 2013

I think he said it had a "kit" lens.  So I'm guessing it's the 14-42mm collapsible lens.

Good or bad?  I believe it's selling for $150 with all the original trimmings.

PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,311Gear list
Like?

If it really is in LN condition, I'd buy it.  In today's world, $150 is just not that much for entry body and lens in what has become an extensive and probably immeasurably expandable system.  I myself have an EPL-1 for about 4 years now and have had no need to "upgrade" despite a newer sensor, some added bells and whistles, etc. in successor models.  The lens is the most important thing anyway.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +27 more
Vinc T
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
New E-PL3 or New E-P2 Kit Quite Cheap
Vinc T
Regular MemberPosts: 164
Like?
Re: New E-PL3 or New E-P2 Kit Quite Cheap
In reply to Vinc T, Dec 11, 2013
Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,437
Like?

It depends on what he likes to take pictures of.  I take a lot of pictures in bright sunlight while hiking and found the limited dynamic range of the EPL-2 I had to be a problem.  I had the same issues with either blown highlights or noisy shadows that I had with my Canon S95 P&S, even at base ISO.  The EPL-2 was nice except for that but I sold it after a couple of months.  I now have a Panasonic GX7 which does much better.  The new Olympus models do well too.

If you friend is on a low budget the EPL-2 could stll be a good choice in that price range though.

AndyPalf
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dave Lively, Dec 11, 2013

After having an E-PL2 for two years I've just upgraded to the E-M5.  The E-M5 is a pretty big leap forward in almost every aspect in my opinion.  Without going off on a tangent I will just say that the E-M5 makes it much quicker and intuitive to take photos compared to the E-PL2.  But as for the final product…the E-PL2 is outstanding.

I've got nothing but "budget" m43 glass.  So things like the14-42mmII, 40-150mm, 45mm, 20mm and an old 50mm OM lens.  And the shots that I've got are great.

Comments are similar to others. Fantastic form and perfect for someone moving from a P&S background. The controls will be a natural progression and not  step too far.  High ISOs are pretty rubbish, but if you don't mind noise then they allow you to keep shooting a little longer without the flash (which happens to be pretty useful being built in).

I'd definitely recommend the camera.  If I was buying on a budget now I'd look at a few other cameras though…G5, GF6, E-PM2 and E-PL5 are all great cameras and you will get great value for money.

AndyPalf's gear list:AndyPalf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Artinflux
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?

I have an E-PL2, an E-P3 and an E-PL5.

The E-PL5 is much faster than both (in terms of autofocusing AND fps) and has SIGNIFICANTLY LESS noise at higher ISO's than both.

Naturally, being a much newer camera, it is also more expensive.

However, I'd personally say the E-PL5 is worth the extra cost over the older models. The E-PL5 is the m4/3rds camera that has finally made me put up my dslr and lenses for sale. I just don't have any use for them.

I shoot a lot in lower light situations--previously I'd take my dslr with me for many of those times. No longer.

But like anything else, it all depends on what your friend plans to shoot with the camera.

-- hide signature --

www.davedziemian.com

baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,274Gear list
Like?

BobT wrote:

I have a photo friend who would like to get into using ILCs. He recently found a local deal for a E-PL2 + 14-42mm lens, in LN condition, for a real bargain. Though I have dabbled in m4/3rds a little bit, I can't advise him as to how this older m4/3rds camera compares to the newer (and more expensive) models. He's a good photographer, and has used some of the more revered P&S cameras. So he knows a little about the good vs. the bad. Is this E-PL2 something that he should consider to wet his m4/3rds whistle, or should he forget it?

BobT. Bobt. BobT. You should know about the EPL2 as you own one or you did a few months ago. Are you selling yours  to your buddy?

Anyway, to repeat what was said when you last asked about PEN cameras. Everything from EPL1 to EPL5, the EPM1, and the EP2 thru EP3 all shoot the same pictures as they have the same 12 MP sensor. Put a fast prime on them, like the 20mm, 25mm and 45mm, or a legacy 50mm and they do pretty well. Give them enough light in RAW mode, even at ISO 3200, and the noise can be managed in PP.

If the EPL2 and lens sells for $129 or less, why not. At $249, another $100-150 gets you into a refurbished EPL5 body. Far better sensor. Easier picture taking as you can do more with a slower lens.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
BobT
Like?
In reply to baxters, Dec 12, 2013

Sorry baxters, but I've never owned or used a E-PL2.  I had a E-PL1 for a very short while though.   Wasn't all that impressed with it.   Perhaps I inquired about one at some time.  But I inquire about a lot of things(as you apparently know).  Hard to remember all of them.

Denisio Fabuloso
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
In reply to BobT, Dec 12, 2013

I am a long time Pentax user. I recently bought the EPL-3 here (Oz) with kit 14-42 on a deal at a local retailer recently. (Dickie Smitty). What a pleasure is was to use a nice small system like this. Hell...I even lashed out on a viewfinder. Of course this has morphed into some investigation of the 4/3 system per se. I am presently very impressed at how capable and accomplished this system is. Even the kit glass is very good indeed. Am definitely eyeing off the excellently spec'd EPL-5 and waiting for it to price a little lower of the next months. So... howdy do to ya'll.

Denisio

PS: I feel sure your friend could find similar good deals on aforementioned EPL-3 where you are. Cant go wrong IMHO. Altho the menu system, while broad, is a little on the mysterious side for the new user. Think of it as a challenge!

baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,274Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobT, Dec 12, 2013

BobT wrote:

Sorry baxters, but I've never owned or used a E-PL2. I had a E-PL1 for a very short while though. Wasn't all that impressed with it. Perhaps I inquired about one at some time. But I inquire about a lot of things (as you apparently know). Hard to remember all of them.

Sorry. I just recall your past posts about the EPL2. Didn't realize you meant to type EPL1.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3486462
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3382300

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads