Tokina 16-28 2.8 - any fans?

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
horgo99
Regular MemberPosts: 134
Like?
Tokina 16-28 2.8 - any fans?
Dec 10, 2013

Looking for a decent WA for use with a nikon D610. Thought I had settled on the new 18-35 variable aperture - seems to be a good option without increasing expenditure to the 16-35/17-35/12-24 options. But just happened across this offering from tokina, 16-28 and 2.8 and apparently weather sealed. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this lens? Good or bad? How do they compare to each other? I had previously used a borrowed tokina 12-24 on my old D90 and found it to be a pretty good performer, really exceeded my expectations. Wondering whether this lense would do the same!

Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,877Gear list
Like?
Re: Tokina 16-28 2.8 - any fans?
In reply to horgo99, Dec 10, 2013

horgo99 wrote:

Looking for a decent WA for use with a nikon D610. Thought I had settled on the new 18-35 variable aperture - seems to be a good option without increasing expenditure to the 16-35/17-35/12-24 options. But just happened across this offering from tokina, 16-28 and 2.8 and apparently weather sealed. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this lens? Good or bad? How do they compare to each other? I had previously used a borrowed tokina 12-24 on my old D90 and found it to be a pretty good performer, really exceeded my expectations. Wondering whether this lense would do the same!

I picked up mine last year with all the rebates and store sale It was picked up for $799, for its prices its not a bad lens

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=689&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=773&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release
http://www.flickr.com/photos/isfphotography/
http://isfphotography.smugmug.com/
http://isfphotography.com/

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,068Gear list
Like?
In reply to horgo99, Dec 10, 2013

Here's the story on the Tokina....

I had the Nikon 14-24, but rarely used it. I sold it to a friend and forgot about it. Then I got a gig where I needed it again. A friend told me the Tokina was every bit as good if I didn't mind the missing 2mm.

I tested the Tokina side-by-side with the Nikon 16-35vr. The Tokina was almost as sharp wide open, and even sharper at F4, plus it didn't suffer from the distortion of the Nikon. The Tokina was sharper than the 14-24 as well!

Build quality is excellent and the price seems too good to be true. So what's the catch?

The Tokina, like the 14-24, can't take filters without a pricey kit. It's also just as prone to flare and can create rainbow flare at night on occasion.

I still rank the Nikon 14-24 has the best UW zoom as it's got that extra 2mm. The Tokina is right on it's heels and I use it more because the 28mm end is more useful to me than the 24mm of the Nikon. Even though I liked the VR of the 16-35, I couldn't live with the highly visible distortion and somewhat soft results beyond 30mm.

Keep in mind: The Tokina is a pro lens and BIG/HEAVY.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Johnhk
Regular MemberPosts: 211
Like?
In reply to horgo99, Dec 11, 2013

Try it, you'll like it. I did! Regards,

pajarrett
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
In reply to horgo99, Dec 12, 2013

I use the Tokina with my D800, and yes I like it.  I was going to get the Nikkor 14-24 but the price was putting me off.  I tried a lightly-used one (the guy might have used it once, it was still in its original packing) but I didn't think it performed well enough for the asking price.  It could have been a bad copy or me just screwing up trying it out.  Anyway, I saw that many thought that the Tokina was an excellent lens.  Looking at the samples of the Nikkor and the Tokina I could not see any difference at normal magnification, and a slight difference when I looked at 100%.  So I have had the lens for about a year now.  It got lot's of use this past summer.  Cons:  it is heavy, expensive for filters, and you will need a hat and a long arm (or a willing assistant) to help shade the lens to lessen the flair.  Here are some of the shots I took using the lens.

And a 100% crop

pajarrett's gear list:pajarrett's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +4 more
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,068Gear list
Like?
In reply to pajarrett, Dec 12, 2013

As I said, if you can live without the 2mm, I found it SHARPER than my Nikon 14-24. The nikon is stronger out to the edges. It's basically a wash and once stopped down they're both excellent.

Here are two samples, the 2nd one is one of several for displays printed 10 feet wide. D800/Tokina really knocked it out of the park with incredible detail and resolution.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
mrjpack
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Dec 14, 2013

Based on Roberts work, I purchased the Tokina a little while back. I love this lens & go out of my way to use it. It does flare at times in the wrong conditions, but 1/2 the time the flare actually added an artistic component to the shot. Distortion is better than what you would expect from a lens like this.

Jim

Shotcents wrote:

As I said, if you can live without the 2mm, I found it SHARPER than my Nikon 14-24. The nikon is stronger out to the edges. It's basically a wash and once stopped down they're both excellent.

Here are two samples, the 2nd one is one of several for displays printed 10 feet wide. D800/Tokina really knocked it out of the park with incredible detail and resolution.

Cheers,

Robert

mrjpack's gear list:mrjpack's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads