Fuji 55-200mm and X-E2 Questions

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Nivedita
Regular MemberPosts: 331
Like?
Fuji 55-200mm and X-E2 Questions
10 months ago

Currently I am an M43 user with Olympus E-M1 and 12-40mm lens and a bunch of primes. My wife uses another M43 camera (Panasonic G3). Now she is looking to either upgrade or get another system and I am helping her (probably give a lens as a gift).

She is setting her eye on Fuji X-E2 and 18-55 lens and I assume that the combo is great. My assumption is that though it may not be as fast as E-M1, it is still fast enough for most situations (not sports). My plan is to get her a 35mm F1.4 lens or 55-200mm as a gift.

Could anyone please share the experiences in using 55-200 (including shooting some portraits)? Also how fast is X-E2 in terms of response (is there any significant shutter lag?)

-Nivedita

Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji 55-200mm and X-E2 Questions
In reply to Nivedita, 10 months ago

Shutter lag is pretty much nil on the X-E2. Not an issue, at least in my experience.

I have the 55-200 and it's a great lens in terms of build quality. Basically the twin of the 18-55. Super solid. It reminds me of the all metal Nikkors I own. However, I only just got one a few weeks ago and haven't had the opportunity to shoot it much yet so I can't speak much to handling. Judging by the other XF lenses and the reviews I've read here and elsewhere I'm confident it's an excellent lens.

The 35mm is in a class by itself. The bokeh is stunningly beautiful. People here describe it as magic. As with the best Zeiss and Leica lenses it has a personality all its own.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nivedita
Like?
In reply to Chris G Hughes, 10 months ago

Shutter lag is pretty much nil on the X-E2. Not an issue, at least in my experience.

I have the 55-200 and it's a great lens in terms of build quality. Basically the twin of the 18-55. Super solid. It reminds me of the all metal Nikkors I own. However, I only just got one a few weeks ago and haven't had the opportunity to shoot it much yet so I can't speak much to handling. Judging by the other XF lenses and the reviews I've read here and elsewhere I'm confident it's an excellent lens.

The 35mm is in a class by itself. The bokeh is stunningly beautiful. People here describe it as magic. As with the best Zeiss and Leica lenses it has a personality all its own.

Thank you very much !

Any comments on the focusing speed of 55-200mm?

Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?

Again, not a lot of time with it mounted on the body yet, but from what little time I've spent with it I'd say it's equally responsive as the 18-55 in most situations. A bit slower in low light, but it's a slower lens so that's normal.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
ThachLy
Regular MemberPosts: 210Gear list
Like?

I don't have the X-E2 but I do have an X-E1, 14mm and 35mm. When I bought the 55-200 some 3 weeks ago, it has made the impossibles possible for me.

After 1000+ photos, including a wedding (where I was not the main photog) and an engagement party, the 55-200 is now my most favourite XF lens, even over the 35mm.

Its AF worked so well, even in low light, that I almost never worried about it now. I m now looking to get a used X-M1 to mate to it permanently.

Hope this helps.

ThachLy's gear list:ThachLy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
WT Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,462
Like?

Nivedita wrote:

She is setting her eye on Fuji X-E2 and 18-55 lens and I assume that the combo is great. My assumption is that though it may not be as fast as E-M1, it is still fast enough for most situations (not sports). My plan is to get her a 35mm F1.4 lens or 55-200mm as a gift.

The new focus system is pretty good IMHO. The 55-200 focus speed is very similar to the 18-55 which I find to be more than adequate in most instances.

Could anyone please share the experiences in using 55-200 (including shooting some portraits)? Also how fast is X-E2 in terms of response (is there any significant shutter lag?)

I have had the 55-200 since mid summer and have used it on a few occasions that warrant it. it is a sharp lens and reacts well in most situations. The OIS system is superb. Here is an environmental type portrait example. Note: I added the vignette

As far as the XE-2 goes, I have only had it a few days, but shutter lag was not noticed, focus tracking works pretty well (3fps only) and the EFV is very good. My first outing (and first frame) was to shoot a youth hockey game with it & the 55-200 for fun, and I was pleasantly surprised how well things went. I even got a few good sequences. (Keep in mind 9 year olds do not move like adults which probably worked to my advantage, I am a terrible sports shooter!) The 35/1.4 needs no further comment. It's Great!

I hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Warren

57even
Senior MemberPosts: 6,047Gear list
Like?

Nivedita wrote:

Currently I am an M43 user with Olympus E-M1 and 12-40mm lens and a bunch of primes. My wife uses another M43 camera (Panasonic G3). Now she is looking to either upgrade or get another system and I am helping her (probably give a lens as a gift).

-Nivedita

The 55-200 is very sharp with good contrast. Its not the fastest at 200, but then it would be huge if it was. OIS good for 3 stops reliably. Focus is reasonable, but the results are stunning.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1
Nivedita
Like?
In reply to 57even, 10 months ago

Nivedita wrote:

-Nivedita

The 55-200 is very sharp with good contrast. Its not the fastest at 200, but then it would be huge if it was. OIS good for 3 stops reliably. Focus is reasonable, but the results are stunning.

Thank you very much

Dresdenboy
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?

I found this blog reporting about shooting kids at a soccer game using the 55-200:

http://www.mikecroshaw.com/2013/12/02/shooting-football-with-the-xe-2-and-the-55-200mm-lens/

Another quote of a review:

"The X-E2 has an AF system that combines contrast detection and phase detection technologies. Theoretically this should improve focus speed a lot, particularly in good light. So I took the X-E2 and the 55-200 to Kobe’s soccer game last weekend to give the AF a serious challenge.

I didn’t expect the X-E2 to focus as fast as a Canon 1Dx or a Nikon D4 but I also didn’t expect it to be really useable for shooting soccer. But to my surprise it held up pretty well and I got quite a few action shots. The continuous focus is still a bit hit or miss, but it focusses so fast that I got some nice stuff in single shot focus mode.
I’ve seen some impressive numbers about the focus speed after the lenses will have received a firmware update, so things can only get even better in the near future."

Dresdenboy's gear list:Dresdenboy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 +3 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,377Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57even, 10 months ago

57even wrote:

Nivedita wrote:

-Nivedita

Agree 100%  When i received my 55-200 last June I did a tripod test with this lens and my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 with an adapter, both stopped down to the sweet spot. No difference. Sold my Nikon lens that week. Currently Nikon free since summer! The XE2 is likely snappier with focus but i shoot stills so no issue for me.

also, the 55-200 is slightly sharper at 55mm than the fuji 18-55.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?

The 55-200 returns a high keeper rate.  I don't know if it's micro-contrast or what, but it gives images a very nice, supple look.  It actually renders a lot like the 35, now that I think about it.

I like it a lot more than the 18-55.  So much so that I've thought about ditching the kit zoom and going with primes + 55-200.

Nivedita
Like?
Thanks! I am getting a 55-200mm
No text.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads