D800 dust issue

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
HS-L
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
D800 dust issue
8 months ago

I recently upgraded to a D800 and today I noticed some spots in my shots, started investigating it right away, on F32 (60mm micro) it looks like this in the 700th picture I've shot with the camera. It might not look like a lot of spots, but I went back to the first photo's I took and the spots are also visible in them too.

I'm going back to the shop where I bought it tomorrow, but do any of you have had the same and what was the solution? Is this something the shop can clean or did you end up getting the D800 replaced?

HS-L's gear list:HS-L's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Todd Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 353Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 dust issue
In reply to HS-L, 8 months ago

I had spots on my D800 as well at about 400 shots. I don't know if it had them since new because I rarely shoot at apertures that small.
I just cleaned the sensor myself and it wasn't a big deal since I've done this before with my D700 from time to time.
--
Todd

Todd Jones's gear list:Todd Jones's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,766
Like?

It's inevitable that some dust and dirt will find its way on to the sensor of any DSLR eventually, even if you do all your lens changes in a clean room. I'd first look at whether the spots were visible at more normal apertures, such as f/8. If you see spots at those wider apertures in your earliest shots, you may have grounds for a complaint. I have no idea whether it would be a good idea to ask your particular dealer to clean it, rather than returning it to a Nikon service center; I'd want to be sure they really had a good camera technician before I trusted them to do that. But I do know that being spot-free at f/32 is a very strict standard, and even if you get the sensor cleaned to that degree, it will be difficult to keep it that way very long. Probably you need to learn to clean the sensor yourself (blower bulb first, then possibly a sensor brush, and finally, wet cleaning as necessary), especially if you will be frequently shooting at small apertures.

I've had no unusual issue with dust or dirt on the D800 compared to my two other Nikon DSLR bodies. In fact, I only recently did my first sensor wet cleaning on it after shooting with it for about 14 months. Prior to this, I've been satisfied with my results just using the blower bulb and the built-in sensor cleaning mechanism.

-- hide signature --
HS-L
Like?
In reply to Ray Ritchie, 8 months ago

I also see the spots at F8, but I usually do product shoots with F16, and with the 60mm micro usually on F22. I tried to blow them away, but it doesn't help. Actually the big spot on the right came after blowing it with a rubber bulb blower. Somehow I'm afraid it's not dust but it's same issue as the D600 shutter has with the oil. :/

I understand that eventually there will be dust, but with my old camera's I had to use the blower once a year and than it was ok. I got this camera a little over 2 weeks ago and don't have a good feeling about just cleaning it. It was already there in the beginning, but I was mainly shooting with a dark background so they where less visible.

BassFisher
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?

hsleewis wrote:

I also see the spots at F8, but I usually do product shoots with F16, and with the 60mm micro usually on F22. I tried to blow them away, but it doesn't help. Actually the big spot on the right came after blowing it with a rubber bulb blower. Somehow I'm afraid it's not dust but it's same issue as the D600 shutter has with the oil. :/

I understand that eventually there will be dust, but with my old camera's I had to use the blower once a year and than it was ok. I got this camera a little over 2 weeks ago and don't have a good feeling about just cleaning it. It was already there in the beginning, but I was mainly shooting with a dark background so they where less visible.

If you have a DSLR you are going to have to deal with dust at some stage. I used to wet clean my old D70, not so much with my D200 and not at all with D700. My D800E has relative little.
Do you have cleaning turned on? I have mine set to clean when the camera turns on and off. As well as this I occasionally use CLEAN NOW!, a few times.

Your spots look like dust as oil usually has a halo around it.

Be careful with your lens changing technique, hold camera - lens down to change as dust is less likely to go up than down.

Also be careful with your rocket blowers as you can blow dust from around the sensor on to it and the mirror. Also if you are not careful you can blow oil as well!

-- hide signature --

BillD
Sydney, Australia
Time is the only thing I don't have enough of.

BassFisher's gear list:BassFisher's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Ernie Misner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,740
Like?
In reply to BassFisher, 8 months ago

Since the camera is so new and is probably still under warranty, you might feel best about letting Nikon clean it for free.  Down the road you will want some cleaning supplies though.  I bought mine in bulk at copper river.

-- hide signature --
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?

hsleewis wrote:

Somehow I'm afraid it's not dust but it's same issue as the D600 shutter has with the oil. :/

No way that what your picture shows is the same issue the D600 had. Don't worry. Have your sensor cleaned by an experienced professional - or learn to do it yourself.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
HS-L
Like?
In reply to CFynn, 8 months ago

CFynn wrote:

No way that what your picture shows is the same issue the D600 had. Don't worry.

Thanks

Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,403Gear list
Like?

hsleewis wrote:

I recently upgraded to a D800 and today I noticed some spots in my shots, started investigating it right away, on F32 (60mm micro) it looks like this in the 700th picture I've shot with the camera. It might not look like a lot of spots, but I went back to the first photo's I took and the spots are also visible in them too.

I'm going back to the shop where I bought it tomorrow, but do any of you have had the same and what was the solution? Is this something the shop can clean or did you end up getting the D800 replaced?

I have the same problem. The bad thing is..it is with me for almost two years.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 NEX5R +53 more
rgolub
Senior MemberPosts: 2,046Gear list
Like?

At f/32 those little spots are perfectly normal.  If you require that level of cleanliness for your shots, you'd best learn to clean the sensor yourself, else you won't have the camera in your hands very much.

Further, if you do most of your photography at 55 mm f/16, why the D800E?  You are well into diffraction territory at that f/stop.  The E version especially only trumps the regular D800 at f/4 - f/5.6. I realize that you may do other photography, but it just strikes me odd to use that combo for a low ISO, high depth of field image.  Lots of other cameras would do better.

-- hide signature --

RG
I break things.
www.lostrange.com

rgolub's gear list:rgolub's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +12 more
HS-L
Like?
In reply to rgolub, 8 months ago

I don't have the D800E, I have the "regular" D800. The same spots are also visible at F8 and F11.

The shop basically told me that switching it could give me the same problem as almost all D800's have this problem (most even worse) out of the box. They said that all Full Frame camera's more or less always have this problem because of the bigger sensor that is more static than a DX sensor.

He was willing to switch it, but advised to let hem send it to Nikon to let them clean it professionally. He could also sensor swap it, but thought he would probably make it worse by doing it. They have no problems cleaning DX sensors, but for FX they always send the bodies to Nikon. :/

I can't miss it the next couple of days so I'm probably going to bring it right after the weekend.

HS-L
Like?
In reply to Mark K, 8 months ago

Have you had it from the beginning?

mattspace
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?

I've got a d800 and the 60mm g micro, and had spots show up when shooting the sky. Took it to Nikon's service centre here and they give you one free cleaning with a new camera. Took them a few tries to get them gone, but they only test to f16, so there's still a few visible above that.

My solution is if I'm shooting above f16, I do a dust reference image, and then create a spot retouch adjustment in Aperture, which I can then apply to all the other images.

Annoying, but seems to be a part of life, and easier than dealing with the equivalent on film / darkroom prints.

-- hide signature --
 mattspace's gear list:mattspace's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED
olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,761
Like?

HS-L wrote:

Clean it and activate the AA filter shaker at both start-up and shut-down and you don't have to worry any more. I had mine for over a year and no issues at all.

Mark K
Like?

HS-L wrote:

Yes, especially puzzled because my 5D3 is completely free from dusts...something shocks me. One reason is that 5D cleans sensor everytime I switches on and shut down my camera

-- hide signature --

Mark K

olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 22,761
Like?
In reply to Mark K, 8 months ago

Mark K wrote:

HS-L wrote:

Yes, especially puzzled because my 5D3 is completely free from dusts...something shocks me. One reason is that 5D cleans sensor everytime I switches on and shut down my camera

Every Nikon does that as well, but you have to configure it in the menu. By default I think it is off.

Mark K
Like?
In reply to olyflyer, 8 months ago

olyflyer wrote:

Mark K wrote:

HS-L wrote:

Every Nikon does that as well, but you have to configure it in the menu. By default I think it is off.

Thanks..let me find it in the menu

-- hide signature --

Mark K

dgrPhotos
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?

I bought a D800 on release day.  it was by far my "messiest" camera ever owned and I've owned 2 D600s.  It was so bad it was getting on my focus screen.  There was no fix, I just did plenty of wet cleanings until I stop shooting with a D800.

dgrPhotos's gear list:dgrPhotos's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR +6 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,658Gear list
Like?
In reply to rgolub, 8 months ago

rgolub wrote:

At f/32 those little spots are perfectly normal.

I don't have them. My D800e has never been in need of a single cleaning. And I swap lens all the time.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,658Gear list
Like?
In reply to dgrPhotos, 8 months ago

dgrPhotos wrote:

I bought a D800 on release day. it was by far my "messiest" camera ever owned and I've owned 2 D600s. It was so bad it was getting on my focus screen. There was no fix, I just did plenty of wet cleanings until I stop shooting with a D800.

Activate the sensor cleaning and it will solve your problem with the D800.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads