First test images with K3 and 20mm-40mm Limited

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Beiklo
Contributing MemberPosts: 965Gear list
Like?
First test images with K3 and 20mm-40mm Limited
4 months ago

'Just received my 20-40mm Limited lens today, mounted it on my K3 and took the following test shots. All are SOOC shot in Raw, NR turned off, converted to jpegs in Silkypix. All are shot at ISO 100 and at 20mm (30) focal length, at f2.8, f5.6, and at f8.

f2.8

f5.6

f8

leopold
Forum ProPosts: 11,990Gear list
Like?
Re: First test images with K3 and 20mm-40mm Limited
In reply to Beiklo, 4 months ago

Congrats on the new lens!

Looking forward for the first real shots.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,127
Like?

It seems as sharp wide open as stopped down.

Joe

TomWret
Senior MemberPosts: 1,391Gear list
Like?

Beiklo, looks like you got a good copy. I'm sure your going to enjoy it very much.

Tom W(ret)

-- hide signature --

...a bad picture is like a missed putt, it's never your fault.
http://photographybythomaswhitehurst.zenfolio.com

TomWret's gear list:TomWret's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL II (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +4 more
kriztian
Contributing MemberPosts: 556
Like?

It seems like a sharp enough lens. What about flare? Wish you luck with the new lens.

-- hide signature --

kriztian

citrontokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 734Gear list
Like?

Looks sharp. Some barrel distortion, but my 21 limited has some too.

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
McSpin
Regular MemberPosts: 258
Like?

Are these 100% crops?

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 12,569Gear list
Like?
In reply to McSpin, 4 months ago

McSpin wrote:

Are these 100% crops?

They look like 6 MP resized images, so not a great measure of how good the lens actually performs, but looks at least like the copy is pretty well centered.

Some full size infinity focus shots would be nice too

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +7 more
klimbkat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,158Gear list
Like?

Looks like a winner to me - I like your version of a "brick wall."  Now on to some real world subjects . . .

Beiklo
Like?
In reply to McSpin, 4 months ago

Yes, they're 100% crops.

jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?
In reply to citrontokyo, 4 months ago

citrontokyo wrote:

Looks sharp. Some barrel distortion, but my 21 limited has some too.

For a 2X zoom its showing in this one example what appears to be barrel distortion.

I hope you don't mind OP. I ran the pic in PTlens and PTlens gave me the Sigma 20-40mm f/2.8. I suppose because that's the only lens it could find with the same focal length. Its pre-made corrected correction for the Sigma applied to the Pentax and working almost perfect. Which is surprising considering they are completely different lens. PTlens uses a different profile for every lens. The Sigma is for FF and APS, is an EX version, is just plain big because it is a fast f/2.8 lens end to end and MUST have just as much distortion?

The Pentax much smaller, a lot lighter, seems better built, but I will call it a tie. Pentax has weather resistance, the Sigma none. So no comparison, only odd its distortion is so close to that of the Sigmas. They are two completely different designees. You would think a 2X zoom starting at 20mm would have less. But hey the pics look really good wide open.  Lightroom 5 did not have a correction profile for the jpeg. I am sure Pentax bodies will soon of not now auto correct for any distortion and aberrations. Distortions of any kind are less and less of a problem (corrected in body or PP software). That allows lens designers more freedom to make it sharper or less costly or both.

congratulations enjoy.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +8 more
Isherwood
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?

Thank you. Looks like what we'd expect from an Ltd - saturation, contrast, even across the frame & impressively sharp from the get-go. But that barrel distortion... Have you tried the lens distortion correction? It defaults to 'off' - or maybe you prefer to have minimal processing of your images (which'd be my choice).

Isherwood's gear list:Isherwood's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +14 more
Beiklo
Like?
In reply to Isherwood, 4 months ago

I do prefer to post-process everything. I have a fairly light workflow so it's not a burden.

Rosember
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534Gear list
Like?

Congrats for the new lens and thanks for posting some first images. Color, contrast, sharpness all look good as far as I can judge.

What really takes me of, I have to admit, is the amount of distortion @20 mm. 20mm isn't that wide. I have just taken quick snaps for comparison with my Sigma 17-70 (the old screw drive, no OS one) and Pentax 18-135 - and from reviewing in the cam both look better with respect to distortion, especially the Sigma.

I have been struggling to understand this lens (and its price tag) before, but this makes me scratch my head even more.

Rosember's gear list:Rosember's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +3 more
Infrabasse
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joseph Tainter, 4 months ago

Joseph Tainter wrote:

It seems as sharp wide open as stopped down.

Joe

Not in the corners, unless that's field curvature?

Infrabasse's gear list:Infrabasse's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +10 more
Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,070
Like?
In reply to Rosember, 4 months ago

Rosember wrote:

Congrats for the new lens and thanks for posting some first images. Color, contrast, sharpness all look good as far as I can judge.

What really takes me of, I have to admit, is the amount of distortion @20 mm. 20mm isn't that wide. I have just taken quick snaps for comparison with my Sigma 17-70 (the old screw drive, no OS one) and Pentax 18-135 - and from reviewing in the cam both look better with respect to distortion, especially the Sigma.

I have been struggling to understand this lens (and its price tag) before, but this makes me scratch my head even more.

Unfortunately, small size comes with a price, especially with zooms. That's why the Olympus 14-35f2 was as hefty as it was. With m4/3, that puts small size first, you have to rely pretty heavily on software correction with the zooms. I guess that's the way it will be with the 20-40ltd. With the 24mp K3 that should hardly deteriorate the IQ if a good correction profile is in place, but it gets a bit tricky with 3rd party raw developers...

Chris

Thomas Streng
Senior MemberPosts: 2,623
Like?
In reply to Rosember, 4 months ago

Rosember wrote:

I assume when you check on the camera display what you see is a JPG which is CORRECTED already. So you can compare that to an uncorrected image from the 20-40.

I don't find it to be that much distortion in the 20-40 and I do not expect it to be enough to lead to serious IQ problems when correcting it.

I understand the lens:

The goal is to have a lens which is optically good even wide open in a relatively small size and with a nice solid and weatherproof build.

Since lenses are always a compromise between size, optical quality, speed, range and price they made the compromise with a smaller focal length range and non constant f2.8 and maybe a little more distortion and maybe a seep price to achieve the other goals.(optical quality, still faster than kit Zooms, and very nice build quality as well as small size for such a lens on dx-sensor)

In the end I believe one can do a lot with the focal length range.

dual12
Regular MemberPosts: 232
Like?
In reply to Joseph Tainter, 4 months ago

That can happen when you hand hold.  I'm guessing he didn't use a tripod, or if he did, he was pressing the shutter by hand.

Beiklo
Like?
In reply to dual12, 4 months ago

Yes, it was hand held.

Rosember
Senior MemberPosts: 1,534Gear list
Like?
In reply to Thomas Streng, 4 months ago

Thomas Streng wrote:

Rosember wrote:

I assume when you check on the camera display what you see is a JPG which is CORRECTED already. So you can compare that to an uncorrected image from the 20-40.

No, there is no in camera correction for Sigma lenses, and I switched the correction off for the 18-135.

I don't find it to be that much distortion in the 20-40 and I do not expect it to be enough to lead to serious IQ problems when correcting it.

I understand the lens:

The goal is to have a lens which is optically good even wide open in a relatively small size and with a nice solid and weatherproof build.

Since lenses are always a compromise between size, optical quality, speed, range and price they made the compromise with a smaller focal length range and non constant f2.8 and maybe a little more distortion and maybe a seep price to achieve the other goals.(optical quality, still faster than kit Zooms, and very nice build quality as well as small size for such a lens on dx-sensor)

In the end I believe one can do a lot with the focal length range.

Well my lens for comparison is mainly the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 Macro (screw drive), which is faster at the long end, offers a (at the long end) much wider range of focal lengths, is very sharp wide open (at least my copy), has a good build quality (though not as stellar as the limiteds), and does reasonable macro for ⅓ the price. It weighs about twice as much as the 20-40 (but is very well balanced with the K-3 as much as with the K20D). And it shows significantly less distortion at 20mm.

I am still scratching my head.

Rosember's gear list:Rosember's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads