A second D300 or a D90?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
Gipoun
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
A second D300 or a D90?
8 months ago

I am in desperate need of someones opinion.
I am looking to get a third camera body. I currently have a D200 and a D300.
I mostly do weddings, but have started to do adventure sport photography as well.
I would like to get a third body so I still have two for weddings if I damage a body whist outdoors.

The problem I currently have is that I am debating whether I should get another D300 and use my D200 for sport photography, or if I should get a D90 and keep my D200/300 set-up for weddings.
My main draw to the D90 is it's video capabilities.

Any opinions/suggestions are GREATLY appreciated as I am very indecisive!

Thoughts?

Gipoun's gear list:Gipoun's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
n057
Senior MemberPosts: 2,998Gear list
Like?
Re: A second D300 or a D90?
In reply to Gipoun, 8 months ago

Gipoun wrote:

I mostly do weddings, but have started to do adventure sport photography as well.
I would like to get a third body so I still have two for weddings if I damage a body whist outdoors.

The problem I currently have is that I am debating whether I should get another D300 and use my D200 for sport photography, or if I should get a D90 and keep my D200/300 set-up for weddings.

Thoughts?

How about a D300s?  Same build and controls as what you already have, and it has video ...

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gipoun
Like?
In reply to n057, 8 months ago

n057 wrote:

Gipoun wrote:

Thoughts?

How about a D300s? Same build and controls as what you already have, and it has video ...

JC

I'm trying to use a "less valuable" body for my sport photography, as the possibility of it being damaged is greater...

Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +5 more
Matt Kolberg
Forum MemberPosts: 52
Like?

What about the D7100? More video options than the 300s and the "rolling shutter" has been addressed apparently. Better image quality at higher ISO.

SteveCooper
Regular MemberPosts: 451Gear list
Like?

I have BOTH a D90 and a D300s - the video you would get would be disappointing at best in my opinion. The audio is awful, even with an external mic connected to the D300s. You would really want an external audio recorder. If you want video, I would either get a video recorder or a Sony A77.

SteveCooper's gear list:SteveCooper's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Nikon D90 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +9 more
n057
Senior MemberPosts: 2,998Gear list
Like?

Gipoun wrote:

n057 wrote:

Gipoun wrote:

Thoughts?

How about a D300s? Same build and controls as what you already have, and it has video ...

JC

I'm trying to use a "less valuable" body for my sport photography, as the possibility of it being damaged is greater...

I would think the better build of the D200 and D300 would withstand an accident better, no?

JC

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Robert Cohen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,214
Like?

I don't know what kinds of sports photography you're talking about, but I find the D300 to be superior to the D200 for action.  I've shot events using both, with a longer lens on one, a wider lens on the other.  And if the sun starts going down the better higher ISO performance of the D300 will be quite useful.  I see no reason to consider the D90 unless for weight or cost.  Not for performance.

-- hide signature --

--Bob

ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,960
Like?

Get a D300s and problem is solved, familiar camera with video

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

Hansa Yindee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,803Gear list
Like?

IMO a second D300 is the way to go.

For years I have been using two D300 bodies

for shooting wildlife in an unforgiving jungle

in SE Asia. Tough and dependable cameras

that can be found at a very reasonable cost.

On three different occasions the D300 has been used

as a defensive weapon while being attacked by large

aggressive alpha male primates ! In this case a D90

would have broken into many pieces, but not the D300..;-)

If you want video, get a separate video cam.

-- hide signature --

Jon in Thailand
www.flickr.com/photos/af2899/

Hansa Yindee's gear list:Hansa Yindee's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
Turbguy1
Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?

D300.  You already know why...

-- hide signature --
 Turbguy1's gear list:Turbguy1's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D300 +1 more
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,749
Like?
See your inbox {nt}
-- hide signature --
dacrema
Contributing MemberPosts: 566
Like?
Re: A second D300 …+1
In reply to Hansa Yindee, 8 months ago

Hansa Yindee wrote:

IMO a second D300 is the way to go.

For years I have been using two D300 bodies

for shooting wildlife in an unforgiving jungle

in SE Asia. Tough and dependable cameras

that can be found at a very reasonable cost.

On three different occasions the D300 has been used

as a defensive weapon while being attacked by large

aggressive alpha male primates ! In this case a D90

would have broken into many pieces, but not the D300..;-)

If you want video, get a separate video cam.

-- hide signature --

Jon in Thailand
www.flickr.com/photos/af2899/

You did not say what kind of sports/action.  The D300 is a bit heavy for backpacking but very rugged.  The D300 weather sealing is very good.

Gipoun
Like?
In reply to dacrema, 8 months ago

A lot of my sport photography isn't on a field, but up mountains, over rivers, down canyons etc... (skiing, mountain climbing, rafting etc...)
So I was considering the D90 also for the fact that it was a little lighter. The video aspect was more for novelty, as I am not a videographer, I just thought it would be interesting to have... After reading everyone's suggestions, I think a second D300 is the way to go. I do love the camera, and I am used to it. It has a more rugged build and if I can wear it for 12+ hours shooting a wedding, I can lug it around a mountain!

Gary Elliott
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?

You should get a backup that you are already comfortable with just in case it becomes your primary.

You know the 200/300 build quality so that should give you some comfort using either for outdoor sports in rough environments.

Now, that said, a D7100 would bring a lot of quality to your wedding images.  While it is also a great sports camera, it is not the rugged build you might need.

If you're not in a rush you might wait to see if a D7100s or D400 pops up and drives down the D7100 costs "and" puts a lot more D300 units on the market all of a sudden

Gary

ragspix
Contributing MemberPosts: 636
Like?

Gipoun wrote:

Thoughts?

I wouldn't get a D90, just not as good as D300

Besides having similar controls on two bodies is great with long & short lenses - no memory lapses

Rags

dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,302
Like?
AF Fine Tune and more...

Gipoun wrote:

A lot of my sport photography isn't on a field, but up mountains, over rivers, down canyons etc... (skiing, mountain climbing, rafting etc...)
So I was considering the D90 also for the fact that it was a little lighter. The video aspect was more for novelty, as I am not a videographer, I just thought it would be interesting to have... After reading everyone's suggestions, I think a second D300 is the way to go. I do love the camera, and I am used to it. It has a more rugged build and if I can wear it for 12+ hours shooting a wedding, I can lug it around a mountain!

I would not even consider buying a DSLR body unless it had the AF Fine Tune feature.

Consider a refurb D7100.

D90 is lacking in the AF Fine Tune feature. Very important if you want accurate AF.

D7000 has AF Fine Tune but is lacking in "enough" AF points and cross-type AF sensors.

D7100 has AF Fine Tune, 51 AF points and 15 cross-type AF sensors.

Also, consider a used D300 or D300s. Check prices at KEH.com and B&H.

New camera bodies only have a 1 year warranty.

Hope this helps in some way. Good luck with your decision.

Wayne

Lmendy
Regular MemberPosts: 451Gear list
Like?
Re: AF Fine Tune and more...
In reply to dwa1, 8 months ago

I was in a Best Buy yesterday.  Not as good as Black Friday deal, but they had the D7000 with the 18-105 for $899 (actually, now that I think about it, it may have been $799).  Sell the lens for a couple of hundred bucks and you will have a reasonably good body at a reasonable price.

Lmendy's gear list:Lmendy's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X-E2
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,749
Like?
Gipoun

Check your inbox. I have one available.
--
Dez
http://dezsantana.com

ranalli
Contributing MemberPosts: 839
Like?
In reply to SteveCooper, 8 months ago

SteveCooper wrote:

I have BOTH a D90 and a D300s - the video you would get would be disappointing at best in my opinion. The audio is awful, even with an external mic connected to the D300s. You would really want an external audio recorder. If you want video, I would either get a video recorder or a Sony A77.

I too have a D90...I love this camera and it still takes amazing pictures.  However, I agree with the above.  The video sucks and isn't worth getting.  It is better to have two cameras with the same controls IMO.

nijkerk
Contributing MemberPosts: 811Gear list
Like?
In reply to ranalli, 8 months ago

Get a D7100 and be done with it..IQ is better than D300..Rugged ? Don't see that the D 300 is any more "rugged " than  7100...ok its bigger and that's it and far as I can see.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads