"Most Popular Cameras"?

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,817Gear list
Like?
"Most Popular Cameras"?
Dec 10, 2013

I've just now noticed this feature on the RH column. Is it new, newly redesigned, or have I been ironically blind to it? And what does it mean? (Look, the Df is 1.3% more popular than the E-M1. Go Df!) I poked around but didn't uncover an official announcement for it.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled equivalence debateargumentbrawl.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Nikon Df Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,422Gear list
Like?
Re: "Most Popular Cameras"?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, Dec 10, 2013

The crazy thing about it is all ten add up to 35.3% .  Are there more cameras (as this appears to be top 10) making up 100%.  Or is the %age thing a misnomer?

-- hide signature --

"I take photographs, if you want them back see my lawyer!!"

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mariomirabile
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, Dec 10, 2013

It's been there forever, it's just that they've changed it to a bar graph. I think it's a measure of how many times an article or page relating to that camera is opened. I don't know exactly how it's measured but it at least bears some relationship to recent reviews and previews on the front page.

-- hide signature --

Mario
It's nothing without light
www.miralightimaging.com

yslee1
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?
In reply to mariomirabile, Dec 11, 2013

They used to state how it works: Clicks on specs and reviews page.

What's interesting though, is that before and after the revamp, the Sony A7 cameras are not listed in the top 10! I thought they'd generate far more attention, but no...

John Mason
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,633Gear list
Like?
typically follows the news annoucements
In reply to Skeeterbytes, Dec 11, 2013

The DF - being the current hot news is on the top.  I'm kinda surprised the A7's have dropped off the top ten list.  I also don't know over what time frame they are using for this widget.

-- hide signature --
 John Mason's gear list:John Mason's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,817Gear list
Like?

Thanks gents, I think I follow now--a fleeting popularity contest.

"Vote for Pedro."

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,295Gear list
Like?
Good point
In reply to yslee1, Dec 11, 2013

yslee1 wrote:

What's interesting though, is that before and after the revamp, the Sony A7 cameras are not listed in the top 10! I thought they'd generate far more attention, but no...

That does seem quite odd.

Those cameras generated a lot of media attention, and attention from the usual bloggers -- why not much interest from DPR denizens?

I wonder if the system has some bugs in it.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,699Gear list
Like?
nt)Don't worry, Oly will beat out Nikon as camera of the year again!

Skeeterbytes wrote:

(Look, the Df is 1.3% more popular than the E-M1. Go Df!)

nt=No Text

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?

I think Marty4650 was monitoring this when it wasn't so obvious and he posted that the Olympus E-M5 was in the list for over a year.

Given that posters on DPReview only make up a tiny percentage of visitors to the site it gives a good idea of how much interest a camera is generating if it  stays in the list for a long while.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Olymore
Like?
Re: Good point
In reply to boggis the cat, Dec 11, 2013

Because 99% of DPR visitors don't post here (according to Andy Westlake).

-- hide signature --

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,845
Like?
Curious omission

Note one recently raved about camera that isn't on that list - the Sony A7.

I have doubts about it's useability... Sony doesn't tend to support its ILC cameras with lenses very well... and huge FF lenses on tiny body might make for clumsy handling...

But as much noise as some people are making about it, I would have expected it to be there.

RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,783
Like?
how it works

Skeeterbytes wrote:

I've just now noticed this feature on the RH column. Is it new, newly redesigned, or have I been ironically blind to it? And what does it mean? (Look, the Df is 1.3% more popular than the E-M1. Go Df!) I poked around but didn't uncover an official announcement for it.

Been there a while but not with the same layout and look (that whole right column has been redesigned.  If I understand correctly, DPR measure popularity by the amount of clicks on reviews previews and/or news items.  Popularity in that sense is thus not equal to popularity in sales figures.

Thanks but no thanks.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

brycesteiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354Gear list
Like?
In reply to Olymore, Dec 11, 2013

What do you mean by that? This don't post at DPreview or they don't post in the Olympus SLR forum of DPreview?

-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

brycesteiner's gear list:brycesteiner's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +5 more
brycesteiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354Gear list
Like?
In reply to yslee1, Dec 11, 2013

yslee1 wrote:

You're right. Something isn't working right. Before the changed it I remember it being above the E-M1 last week.

-- hide signature --

Make it a Great day!

brycesteiner's gear list:brycesteiner's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +5 more
mapgraphs
Regular MemberPosts: 400Gear list
Like?
Prior version

I think the prior version was something along the lines of cameras or reviews receiving the most hits "for the current week." The standings changed week to week, with the most recent reviews/news obviously driving up the level of interest on one hand and the standing of cameras with older news/reviews slowly dropping.

However, now there's no explanation for the "Most Popular" title so the question would be "according to what?" What clicks are being measured (if any)? Whats the algorithm defining the percentage? Is it related to news/reviews or GearShop (or Amazon) sales?

boggis the cat
Like?
In reply to Olymore, Dec 11, 2013

Olymore wrote:

That isn't relevant to a measure of 'click-through' views of reviews / previews and so forth.

"Most Popular Cameras" is not a very good title, either -- quite misleading.  It should be "Cameras Generating Interest" or something along those lines.

Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Olymore
Like?
In reply to brycesteiner, Dec 12, 2013

They don't post on DPReview at all

-- hide signature --

olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,344
Like?
In reply to OlyChamp, Dec 13, 2013

OlyChamp wrote:

The crazy thing about it is all ten add up to 35.3% . Are there more cameras (as this appears to be top 10) making up 100%. Or is the %age thing a misnomer?

Of course there are more cameras. I think that rating is calculated on EVERY model you can find on this site, over 1700 digital cameras. At least that's my interpretation. Only the top ten is listed. On the other hand, I have no idea what it is based on. I mean, what is "most popular"? The ome most people talk about or the one that receives the most "likes"? In either case, it is pretty irrelevant for me as buyer.

olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,344
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, Dec 13, 2013

Skeeterbytes wrote:

Cheers,

Rick

Actually the Df is about 50% more popular... since the difference between 6.1 and 9.3 is about 50%, but if you follow the FX thread you get the impression that everyone is using it. Anyway, popularity changes. Before the Df the E-M1 was the most popular, as well as may other models before that. Who really cares about which is more popular?

boggis the cat
Like?
Different metrics being used on different pages
In reply to Skeeterbytes, Dec 17, 2013

Skeeterbytes wrote:

The "MOST POPULAR CAMERAS" shouty thing at the right:

1. Nikon Df 9.1%
  2. Olympus OM-D E-M1 6.7%
  3. Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 6.2%
  4. Nikon D7100 4.1%
  5. Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) 3.1%
  6. Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II 2.9% (note that this is not an ILC)
  7. Nikon D5300 2.8%
  8. Fujifilm X-E2 2.7%
  9. Nikon D3200 2.6%
  10. Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 2.6%

But if you select the Buying Guide / Popular interchangeable lens cameras link then we get:

1. Nikon Df 8.0%
  2. Olympus OM-D E-M1 5.9%
  3. Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 5.4%
  4. Nikon D7100 3.6%
  5. Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) 2.7%
  6. Nikon D5300 2.4% (note that this moves up to replace the Sony RX100 II)
  7. Fujifilm X-E2 2.4%
  8. Nikon D3200 2.3%
  9. Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 2.3%
  10. Canon EOS 6D 2.2%

I don't see how the Nikon Df can get 9.1% overall (for all cameras), but then only get 8.0% for ILCs.

So these must be calculated in a different way.  (Or this is a maths failure on my part.  I don't see how, though.)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads