Crosspost: Q and Ds with (almost the same) picture

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
philzucker
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,951
Like?
Crosspost: Q and Ds with (almost the same) picture
8 months ago

Just wanted to point you to a sort of comparison between the Q and the Pentax *ist DS I posted in the Pentax SLR forum. Have a look here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52687909

Phil

-- hide signature --
Pentax *ist DS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Eric123
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
Re: Crosspost: Q and Ds with (almost the same) picture
In reply to philzucker, 8 months ago

Hello. Nice photos and a very interesting comparison. I once owned a *ist and found it wasn't my cup of tea, more a problem with me rather than the camera! On the other hand I love the Q with the standard prime 01 lens and its fast aperture. I shoot everything in RAW and use the camera's built-in software to convert to jpeg. The camera has great build quality and has a lovely tactile feel and gives super results.  If it had better battery life it would be my perfect camera!

-- hide signature --

Eric

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
steve mallen
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
In reply to philzucker, 8 months ago

An interesting comparison, Phil.  I also was an istDS user a few years back and it served me very well for a good many years.  I was always extremely happy with the output of that camera.  Having recently acquired a Q7 plus a bunch of amazingly tiny lenses I feel that the quality is definitely comparable to that camera, and I'm pretty chuffed with it.  I love my X-E1, but it hasn't been used much since I got the Q7.  And those X-mount lenses are starting to look *huge*...

I will be travelling soon with the Q7 + 01 prime and 06 tele.  Extraordinary to have such performance in such a small and light package...

-Steve

philzucker wrote:

Just wanted to point you to a sort of comparison between the Q and the Pentax *ist DS I posted in the Pentax SLR forum. Have a look here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52687909

Phil

-- hide signature --
philzucker
Like?
In reply to Eric123, 8 months ago

Eric123 wrote:

Hello. Nice photos and a very interesting comparison.

Thanks!

I once owned a *ist and found it wasn't my cup of tea, more a problem with me rather than the camera!

The Ds was a fine camera in its time, and I still have it and occasionally use it without problems. But of course it has to fit personal needs.

On the other hand I love the Q with the standard prime 01 lens and its fast aperture.

Still the best lens for it IMO ...

I shoot everything in RAW and use the camera's built-in software to convert to jpeg. The camera has great build quality and has a lovely tactile feel and gives super results. If it had better battery life it would be my perfect camera!

That and some less high ISO noise. For the batteries I invested 10 Euros and got three spares - problem solved - and for high ISO noise I'm planning on a Q7 - but prices have to drop a little before I get one.

Thanks for your comment, Eric!

Phil

-- hide signature --
philzucker
Like?
In reply to steve mallen, 8 months ago

steve mallen wrote:

An interesting comparison, Phil. I also was an istDS user a few years back and it served me very well for a good many years. I was always extremely happy with the output of that camera. Having recently acquired a Q7 plus a bunch of amazingly tiny lenses I feel that the quality is definitely comparable to that camera

... I do agree!

, and I'm pretty chuffed with it. I love my X-E1, but it hasn't been used much since I got the Q7. And those X-mount lenses are starting to look *huge*...

Doesn't any collection of lenses compared to the Q ones?

I will be travelling soon with the Q7 + 01 prime and 06 tele. Extraordinary to have such performance in such a small and light package...

Have to agree again.

Thanks for your comment, Steve.

Phil

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads