Lee filters or cheaper?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
billy simpkiss
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
Lee filters or cheaper?
4 months ago

Hi.

I'm looking into a filter system for a Canon eos 60d. Funds are limited but I don't want to buy into a cheap as chips filter system then find it impacts image quality and I have to upgrade. So, I have been looking at the Lee system. I would go glass but like I said, funds are tight, but I am interested in getting the Lee resin filters as these are cheaper and get decent reviews.

Has anyone used the resin Lee filters? If so, can you give any image examples or just your opinion?

Or are there alternatives that are as good but not so expensive?

Thanks

Keith

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SelNZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,025
Like?
Re: Lee filters or cheaper?
In reply to billy simpkiss, 4 months ago

Why even bother with a filter. Haven't used one since 35mm days except for effect. Just make sure you use a lens hood.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 4,722Gear list
Like?
In reply to SelNZ, 4 months ago

SelNZ wrote:

Why even bother with a filter. Haven't used one since 35mm days except for effect. Just make sure you use a lens hood.

Really the only filters you need to carry with a dSLR is a circular polarizing filter and an ND filter, all other filters can be duplicated with post processing.

I only carry a CP and an LP, stacked together they form a variable ND filter.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,137Gear list
Like?
In reply to SelNZ, 4 months ago

SelNZ wrote:

Since the OP refers to the Lee system, I'm assuming he is looking for an alternative resin drop in filter system of the Neutral Density variety, and not your typical glass UV screw on filters........

To the OP ~ I'd avoid Cokin but you should consider the Hitech resin filters.......IQ as good as Lee and much less expensive........

Contact Teamwork Photo in the UK for more info.........
Teamwork Photo & Digital

-- hide signature --

"Five out of four people have trouble with fractions."
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,263Gear list
Like?

What lenses are you using? For which are you looking for a graduated neutral density filter? Do you need a 100mm, 85mm, 75mm holder? If you expect to use lenses with large fillter diameters 77mm or 82mm, or an ultra-wide lens, the 100mm is the right size. Bigger size = more expensive.

For polarizer alone, get the largest CPL diameter that you think you will need with your lens set, and get a set of step rings to go from 72mm filter to 67mm diameter lens and 58mm diameter  lenses (or whatever your lens set is, in this case I used 72, 67, and 58mm diameters), for instance. Also get an extra no-name lens cap in the size of the filter.

I am a newbie at graduated neutral density filters as well. What you get with the better filters is better neutrality and uniformity within the series of filters from that manufacturer. The next decision is the starting set (hard vs soft cut, 0.6 vs 0.9 vs. get the whole series)

Singh Ray, an American brand, makes filters that are as good or better than Lee filters, but cost about the same or more than Lees.

Formatt/Hitech has a reputation for good quality, and sells a lot to the movie industry, and is somewhat cheaper than Lee.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
billy simpkiss
Like?
In reply to Hank3152, 4 months ago

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Yes I am looking into resin filters in a holder, not screw in. I was looking at the Hitech filters but wasn't sure about image quality. I know Lee are pretty neutral from what I've read. I don't mind post processing, I do it on all my images, but I would like to get most of the work done (in camera) so I don't have to spend ages per image in photoshop. I currently expose for land and sky then post process but it is time consuming.

I have read that the Lee hard graduated nd filters are pretty forgiving on the transition from one part of the filter to the other. One review I read said to just buy Lee Hard filters because they were almost like soft anyway. Can you shed any light on this? If this is true, how do the Hitech compare, because I was just going to buy the Lee hard nd graduated set.

Thanks for taking the time to help, it is greatly appreciated.

Keith

billy simpkiss
Like?
In reply to NancyP, 4 months ago

Hi Nancy

The lens I would use most is my 17-40mm lens, which is 77mm. I also have a 50mm 1.8, 100mm macro and 70-200mm f4 lens. I would probably use the filter kit on all the lenses at some point, except the macro. My initial choice for the filter kit will be the wide angle lens, which is 77mm.

I was looking at the 100mm filters, slide in type. I think this is the best option. I don't really want screw in. I had set my sights on the Lee filters, Hard graduated ND set, 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9. A review said they are good on the transition and buying soft too would be pointless. I don't know how true this is.

I will look into Hitech and Singh Ray.

Thanks for the feedback.

Keith

NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 3,263Gear list
Like?

I may buy my filters from 2Filter because they can provide some advice.

-- hide signature --

NancyP

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,749
Like?

billy simpkiss wrote:

Hi Nancy

The lens I would use most is my 17-40mm lens, which is 77mm. I also have a 50mm 1.8, 100mm macro and 70-200mm f4 lens. I would probably use the filter kit on all the lenses at some point, except the macro. My initial choice for the filter kit will be the wide angle lens, which is 77mm.

I was looking at the 100mm filters, slide in type. I think this is the best option. I don't really want screw in. I had set my sights on the Lee filters, Hard graduated ND set, 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9. A review said they are good on the transition and buying soft too would be pointless. I don't know how true this is.

I will look into Hitech and Singh Ray.

Another, less well known UK company worth looking at is SRB Griturn.
I don't have any of their filters, but their products seem good and are well priced.

billy simpkiss
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, 4 months ago

I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads