What, no film crank on Df

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Skatterball
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015
Like?
What, no film crank on Df
7 months ago

Ok, so I admit that I would have loved to own the new Nikon Df.  It is from my era when Nikon F bodies were the epitome of a pro camera.

But wait!  This retro beauty is missing one very important feature.  Where is the film/thumb crank?  That has always been one of the key features of film SLR's of the era.  Without the thumb crank it's not fully retro.  So, I'll wait and see if they come down in price.

Also, I wanted this camera to pass along to my son as a keepsake, the way my dad passed his Rolex watch to me.  But long after I am gone, will this digital Nikon still be working and will its software useful.

Alas, I may never own it but I will sure go talk to folks who do.

-- hide signature --

Skatterball

Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Murray Bowles
Senior MemberPosts: 1,945
Like?
Re: What, no film crank on Df
In reply to Skatterball, 7 months ago

seriously, hooking your thumb under the film advance sort of made up for not having a grip when you used a heavy lens

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ragspix
Contributing MemberPosts: 632
Like?

Skatterball wrote:

Ok, so I admit that I would have loved to own the new Nikon Df. It is from my era when Nikon F bodies were the epitome of a pro camera.

But wait! This retro beauty is missing one very important feature. Where is the film/thumb crank? That has always been one of the key features of film SLR's of the era. Without the thumb crank it's not fully retro. So, I'll wait and see if they come down in price.

Also, I wanted this camera to pass along to my son as a keepsake, the way my dad passed his Rolex watch to me. But long after I am gone, will this digital Nikon still be working and will its software useful.

Alas, I may never own it but I will sure go talk to folks who do.

-- hide signature --

Skatterball

Wait you didn't see the patent application  Nikon put called FauxCrank? It's next to the FauxRing on the new fifty

That should answer your question

Rags

jase
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?
In reply to ragspix, 7 months ago

Strangely enough I had this same thought today about the DF while shooting my Canon A1 loaded up with Portra 800.  The A1 has a tiny grip but the advance lever makes up for it.  I wondered if they could fit one that did something else..... on an FE it's actually pulling out the advance lever that turns the camera on, they could fit one just for that or maybe find another clever function for it.

-- hide signature --

jase
www.jellisphoto.co.uk

jase's gear list:jase's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Leica M9 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/21 ZM +8 more
dwight3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,802Gear list
Like?

The film crank discriminated against left-eyed people.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S52c Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
Murray Bowles
Senior MemberPosts: 1,945
Like?
In reply to Murray Bowles, 7 months ago

oops, I'm confusing the film advance lever with the rewind crank. the latter could be put to good use on a Df, to recharge the battery

4x5 Guy
Contributing MemberPosts: 945
Like?

Skatterball wrote:

But wait! This retro beauty is missing one very important feature. Where is the film/thumb crank?

I've seen some stores offering a fake crank that you can attach to the df.

Also, I wanted this camera to pass along to my son as a keepsake, the way my dad passed his Rolex watch to me. But long after I am gone, will this digital Nikon still be working and will its software useful.

Yes. Nikon has said that they will support this camera for at least 20 years after the date of your passing.

ragspix
Contributing MemberPosts: 632
Like?
In reply to 4x5 Guy, 7 months ago

4x5 Guy wrote:

Skatterball wrote:

But wait! This retro beauty is missing one very important feat:-Dure. Where is the film/thumb crank?

I've seen some stores offering a fake crank that you can attach to the df.

Yes. Nikon has said that they will support this camera for at least 20 years after the date of your passing.

Owen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,174
Like?
On/off switch

Yeah they could have made the film advance lever into an on/off switch. Or perhaps to switch from auto focus to manual, just pull it out a smidge.

A dial on top of it could have been used for exposure comp.

Owen

Skatterball
Like?

Oops sorry.  For the record I meant no film advance lever.  Don't know why I called it a rewind crank...must be from my VCR days!

-- hide signature --

Skatterball

Skatterball
Like?
In reply to dwight3, 7 months ago

So true.

-- hide signature --

Skatterball

Skatterball
Like?
Re: On/off switch
In reply to Owen, 7 months ago

Now that is creative thinking.

-- hide signature --

Skatterball

englishfil
Regular MemberPosts: 146Gear list
Like?

For the purpose stated an F6 (still available NIB) would make a much finer choice. If the "Hipster Luddite" Lomography community persists (as doubtless it will) your son will still be able to buy film. Best buy him a film scanner as well. I had an F5 which I sold - I wish I had a valid reason to buy an F6.

englishfil's gear list:englishfil's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads