Olympus, your there? We need firmware for E-M5! Locked

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,511Gear list
Olympus, your there? We need firmware for E-M5!
8 months ago

I believe many updates are possible and should be made available to enhance the features in E-M5.

I have waited a long time for a firmware update to provide features like getting a small AF box, assigning Myset to a button without holding, and naming Myset. I also have waited for Focus Peaking, and selecting ISO 100. Many of these have been available for a while on the E-PL5, and some on the later models. The ISO 100 features was available on E-PL6. So, the program codes for them should be there already.

It does not make sense that something that can be added simply in firmware is held back, as that would be damaging the trust we had in Olympus when buying its products. If some new feature that can be implemented in firmware is the next E-PL7, would you be happy as an E-M1 owner that the new feature never gets in your camera? Am I alone in thinking that at least some of these should be made available to E-M5, the most important and popular Olympus camera to show some more support for the owners?

If not, please join in and make some noise. Maybe it will get noticed.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,363Gear list
Re: Olympus, your there? We need firmware for E-M5!
In reply to Sergey Borachev, 8 months ago

Sergey Borachev wrote:

I believe many updates are possible and should be made available to enhance the features in E-M5.

I have waited a long time for a firmware update to provide features like getting a small AF box, assigning Myset to a button without holding, and naming Myset. I also have waited for Focus Peaking, and selecting ISO 100. Many of these have been available for a while on the E-PL5, and some on the later models. The ISO 100 features was available on E-PL6. So, the program codes for them should be there already.

It does not make sense that something that can be added simply in firmware is held back, as that would be damaging the trust we had in Olympus when buying its products. If some new feature that can be implemented in firmware is the next E-PL7, would you be happy as an E-M1 owner that the new feature never gets in your camera? Am I alone in thinking that at least some of these should be made available to E-M5, the most important and popular Olympus camera to show some more support for the owners?

We should all threaten to hold our breath until they comply.   Unreasonable expectations call for unreasonable action!

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Sergey Borachev
In reply to Bob Tullis, 8 months ago

Bob Tullis wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

We should all threaten to hold our breath until they comply. Unreasonable expectations call for unreasonable action!

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Unreasonable? I am surprised to hear that.

OK, what if we pay for the update, like $20 for a feature? Would that make it more reasonable?

Reasonable to who?

murfthesurf
Contributing MemberPosts: 570Gear list

If they gave us all the latest and greatest features via firmware upgrade, they would have nobody to sell the E-M5 MkII (or whatever the replacement will be called) to.

-- hide signature --

- Murf

murfthesurf's gear list:murfthesurf's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +1 more
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,843
In reply to murfthesurf, 8 months ago

Fixing acknowledged bugs would be nice, though. And the small AF frame not being implemented when it was featured in "lesser" tier cameras just shortly after the E-M5's introduction and kind of already being present in form of Zoom Fokus AF is at least questionable. The processor and sensor are the same anyway.

-- hide signature --

Red flash eyes save lives and eye-sight!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoblastoma

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,500Gear list

Sergey Borachev wrote:

I join in. The question is, how do I yell loudly in a virtual kind of way?

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Bob Tullis

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

We should all threaten to hold our breath until they comply. Unreasonable expectations call for unreasonable action!

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

OK, what if we pay for the update, like $20 for a feature? Would that make it more reasonable?

Reasonable to who?

The head of Oly camera was interviewed and asked about this.  He said it's not possible, as the in-camera resources were not the same in the E-P5 that would allow it.   The E-PL5 and E-M1 has an advanced chipset that the E-M5 does not, which provided the necessary resources for the features they now sport.

He could be lying.   But if that were so it would soon be outed and that would be a disaster (for him).

There's lots of  armchair engineers that think everything they want is just a firmware update away, but the bustards just do this to milk them for all they're worth.   Whine, whine, whine.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Anfy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,384
..and the promised (2012) fix to banding with Pana 20mm! (n/t)

Sergey Borachev wrote:

-- hide signature --

Viva la evolución!

Anders W

Bob Tullis wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Reasonable to who?

The head of Oly camera was interviewed and asked about this. He said it's not possible, as the in-camera resources were not the same in the E-P5 that would allow it. The E-PL5 and E-M1 has an advanced chipset that the E-M5 does not, which provided the necessary resources for the features they now sport.

He could be lying. But if that were so it would soon be outed and that would be a disaster (for him).

Hi Bob,

All Sergey asked for is perfectly doable with the processing capabilities of the E-M5. It's just a matter of some rather simple programming (that should be made even simpler by the fact that the code is already written for other cameras and just needs to be ported).

The only new thing that might require any processing power to speak of is focus peaking. But the fact that such peaking is already effectively available with the E-M5 (just in a clumsy way via one of the art filters) shows that it isn't a problem even in that case.

There's lots of armchair engineers that think everything they want is just a firmware update away, but the bustards just do this to milk them for all they're worth. Whine, whine, whine.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
murfthesurf
Contributing MemberPosts: 570Gear list
In reply to Timur Born, 8 months ago

Timur Born wrote:

Fixing acknowledged bugs would be nice, though. And the small AF frame not being implemented when it was featured in "lesser" tier cameras just shortly after the E-M5's introduction and kind of already being present in form of Zoom Fokus AF is at least questionable. The processor and sensor are the same anyway.

-- hide signature --

I totally agree, but the OP was talking about adding features not fixing bugs (unless I missed something).

-- hide signature --

- Murf

murfthesurf's gear list:murfthesurf's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN +1 more
Anders W
Re: ..and the promised (2012) fix to banding with Pana 20mm! (n/t)
In reply to Anfy, 8 months ago

Anfy wrote:

..and the promised (2012) fix to banding with Pana 20mm!

Unfortunately, I am pretty sure that requires a hardware rather than software fix. The fact that the GH3 has the same problem (as noted in the GH3 manual) suggests in addition that it's a hardware fix that requires at least a little bit of cost/effort.

assaft
Contributing MemberPosts: 826Gear list

Unfortunately Oly's firmware update policy is a bad joke. It seems like it releases updates only when it's unavoidable. For example, on May 10 the company released a 1000$ camera (E-P5) with wifi remote-shooting. Annoyingly, the feature was limited to the iAuto mode, a mode that almost no advanced user would use. This is probably due to time-to-market concerns, but in the end the feature is almost useless and surely planned to be completed soon after. Indeed, on Sept. 10, it released the full feature (which enables remote-shutting for all PASM modes) as part of a newer camera (E-M1). But no firmware update for the poor E-P5, which is still a top-of-the-line camera. Sometimes I wish I was in the Canon land.

assaft's gear list:assaft's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Englishman in France
Regular MemberPosts: 104
In reply to assaft, 8 months ago

Totally agree. I think Olympus is very poor on this front. Fuji have made a much better effort, with firmware updates for camaras that have even been superceded.

Mingjai
Senior MemberPosts: 1,234Gear list
In reply to Anders W, 8 months ago

Anders W wrote:

Hi Bob,

All Sergey asked for is perfectly doable with the processing capabilities of the E-M5. It's just a matter of some rather simple programming (that should be made even simpler by the fact that the code is already written for other cameras and just needs to be ported).

The only new thing that might require any processing power to speak of is focus peaking. But the fact that such peaking is already effectively available with the E-M5 (just in a clumsy way via one of the art filters) shows that it isn't a problem even in that case.

Agreed, especially since it's still the current model in its segment.

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +10 more
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 951Gear list

Bob Tullis wrote:
The head of Oly camera was interviewed and asked about this. He said it's not possible, as the in-camera resources were not the same in the E-P5 that would allow it. The E-PL5 and E-M1 has an advanced chipset that the E-M5 does not, which provided the necessary resources for the features they now sport.

He could be lying. But if that were so it would soon be outed and that would be a disaster (for him).

There's lots of armchair engineers that think everything they want is just a firmware update away, but the bustards just do this to milk them for all they're worth. Whine, whine, whine.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Yeah, taking a look at what Fuji is able to do with firmware (adding focus peaking to the X100, a 2011 camera!), I have to think, if Olympus guys aren't straight up lying that "it's not possible," I think it's clear that they're not trying very hard. I mean, we're not stupid. We know it's possible. Same with GH3.

As much as I like the M43 cameras, I do wish their firmware policies were more consumer friendly, as in Fuji.

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Bob Tullis
In reply to Anders W, 8 months ago

Anders W wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Reasonable to who?

Hi Bob,

Is that Crow I'm eating? Interesting texture. . .

I'll wager this is a fruitless cause, right or wrong. . . but if I have to end up eating fruit later too, I'll take those firmware updates along with everyone else.  I  don't like to pin any hopes for past practices to change, but I do like surprises.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Anders W

Bob Tullis wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Reasonable to who?

Hi Bob,

Is that Crow I'm eating? Interesting texture. . .

All I was trying to say is that you shouldn't take the "crow" offered in that interview. I am not particularly optimistic about being offered fruit instead, but there's no reason to swallow the crow just because of that.

I'll wager this is a fruitless cause, right or wrong. . . but if I have to end up eating fruit later too, I'll take those firmware updates along with everyone else. I don't like to pin any hopes for past practices to change, but I do like surprises.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 1,807

Sergey Borachev wrote:

I have waited a long time for a firmware update to provide features like getting a small AF box

Given that you can get a smaller focus box on a temporary as-needed basis already using the touch screen, would I be correct in assuming that what you're actually asking for is a way to set things up that way on a more permanent sort of basis?

Even if everything else on your list is somewhat difficult to implement, this particular feature should be trivial to add given that the camera is obviously already capable of the core functionality that is required.

I guess all you need to do now is hope that an Olympus employee, whose full-time job it is to monitor all m43 discussion across the many different internet forums in which it occurs, peruses this particular topic too

Sergey Borachev
In reply to murfthesurf, 8 months ago

murfthesurf wrote:

Timur Born wrote:

-- hide signature --

I totally agree, but the OP was talking about adding features not fixing bugs (unless I missed something).

-- hide signature --

- Murf

I am not sure whether there is a clear policy that firmware updates are only for fixing bugs. Surely, something very inconvenient, or annoying, should be fixed, though not technically a bug, e.g. the need for a small AF box. Besides, as mentioned before, providing improvements to existing features that are not working so great, if not additions, must help the reputation of a manufacturer that stands behind its products.

I am also not sure if additional resources are really needed to make such updates possible. A simple example is the additional features in E-PL6 (but not in the E-PL5), e.g. the leveling feature and ISO100. It seems that there is little difference between those cameras and therefore it should be quite simple to do an update on the E-PL5. I have heard someone mentioned a long time ago that it may have to do with available firmware storage. However, it seems that is a trivial matter to streamline, optimise software code storage, and there are tricks like compression and efficiency tricks that can provide additional storage.

It seems to me the lack of updates that are not fixing bugs has more to do with the same attitude as charging for lens hoods, which I think does more damage to Olympus than reaping any profit. I actually do not mind if Olympus charge a reasonable additional amount (included in the lens price) for a lens hood, so as to avoid the hassle of ordering another part or having to pay some independent maker for it. I am also happy to pay for a firmware update if the improved feature is considered too much to give for free to buyers of its products. I think it is unrealistic to expect all owners to upgrade each time a new model is released, just to get something extra. Besides, the E-M1 or E-P5 are not exactly the same camera as the E-M5 in terms of size and weight or shape, and they are not so well suited as an upgrade for people who want a camera like the E-M5 but do not care about PDAF, or who would rather upgrade when there is a model a real improvement in IQ.

Like many of you, I am not really hopeful of something done by Olympus. Just look at how stubborn it has been with the lens hood. I think this penny pinching attitude is hurting Olympus's image as a maker of products it would care to support well.

Sergey Borachev
In reply to cainn24, 8 months ago

cainn24 wrote:

Sergey Borachev wrote:

I have waited a long time for a firmware update to provide features like getting a small AF box

Given that you can get a smaller focus box on a temporary as-needed basis already using the touch screen, would I be correct in assuming that what you're actually asking for is a way to set things up that way on a more permanent sort of basis?

Even if everything else on your list is somewhat difficult to implement, this particular feature should be trivial to add given that the camera is obviously already capable of the core functionality that is required.

I guess all you need to do now is hope that an Olympus employee, whose full-time job it is to monitor all m43 discussion across the many different internet forums in which it occurs, peruses this particular topic too

Yes. Anything to improve the current AF box feature as implemented on the E-M5 would be a significant help, and should be easy to do, as well as reasonable IMO since it is already in the lower models.

If Olympus is showing an attitude that suggest it does not care providing better service/support for its most successful model in recent years, I think it would certainly have an effect on purchasing decisions to some degree.  I would think such effect would be costly, i.e. more costly than any additional sales from upgrades or additional sales from lens hoods.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads