Nikon D7000 or Nikon D7100

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
MuraliSankar
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Nikon D7000 or Nikon D7100
10 months ago

I am new to DSLR photography I am planning to buy a Nikon DSLR.
 I am stuck between Nikon D7000 and Nikon D7100. I am seeing $400 difference between these cameras. Is it worth to spend $400 more for D7100. Please advice.

I am also planning to buy 18-140 and 50mm F1.8 G lenses. Please suggest better lenses if any in the above mentioned lenses price bracket.

I appreciate your advice on this.

Thanks

Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Jeff AG
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D7000 or Nikon D7100
In reply to MuraliSankar, 10 months ago

What kind of stuff are you interested in shooting?  Different tools for different jobs.

Jeff AG's gear list:Jeff AG's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gear1box
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jeff AG, 10 months ago

Jeff's comment is spot on.  That said, the 18-140 is part of a tradition of excellent Nikon DX zooms and would be good with either body.

Unless you have a compelling need for resolution, though, my predisposition would be to get the the d7000 and use the savings to buy a sb700 external flash unit . . . and the money left over for a coupla ScanDisk Extreme Pro 8 gig 95meg/sec SD cards, with perhaps some Hoya SMC filters (don't forget a polarizer).

That would be an excellent kit to start.

I sold my d7000 two months ago; it is an excellent body with a sensor that pulls amazing detail out of the shadows.

-- hide signature --

gary ray
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +9 more
msc1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,448
Like?

MuraliSankar wrote:

I am stuck between Nikon D7000 and Nikon D7100. I am seeing $400 difference between these cameras. Is it worth to spend $400 more for D7100. Please advice.

I am also planning to buy 18-140 and 50mm F1.8 G lenses. Please suggest better lenses if any in the above mentioned lenses price bracket.

Thanks

Let people know what you are likely to want to shoot.

Check your PMs for more info.

msc

Brian in Montana
Regular MemberPosts: 348Gear list
Like?

Hi Murali, here are my humble opinions:

My wife and I each decided to get D7000s earlier this year after sharing a D90 and D70S for some years. We both love our new cameras, and would highly recommend one for you. Being new to DSLR, you may find operating the various controls challenging at first, but you will surely enjoy the results of persistence and patience. By all accounts, the D7100 is as good or better than the D7000, but the difference in image quality is not that great unless you're using near-perfect technique and generally more expensive lenses.

I think of much greater importance to taking good pictures is learning the fundamentals of camera operation, exposure, composition, utilization of light, post processing (maybe) etc. The D7000 will certainly allow you to get far down this road, and mastering any, much less all of these elements takes ... well it takes years - I'll let you know when I get there!

The D7100'a  sensor may offer a bit more dynamic range, and it's got more focus points, but it also eats up your hard drive a little quicker. This could be an issue of you plan to shoot thousands of images (not hard to do if you are enthusiastic). I like a previous poster's suggestion of saving a little money and investing in some accessories such as a flash, though your need for one depends on what you're shooting.

As for lenses, I haven't tried the 18-140, but it's getting decent reviews and will give you a nice range of focal lengths to play with. I've used Nikon's previous "kit zooms", the 18-70 and 18-105, and have also shot the 18-200 and the 18-300. The "shorter" ones are very good, while the longer ones are a little weak at their extremes - still usable (not that all would agree completely), but very convenient. The 18-140 looks like a nice all-around lens and isn't too big.

The 50mm 1.8 will surpass the zoom's performance at the same focal length. It's a very good lens. I have an older autofocus version, and now received the 50mm 1.4 as a gift. I really can't tell much of a difference between them. On the D7000 or D7100, a 50mm will provide the view of a 75mm lens - pretty good for portraits (some prefer longer) and general purpose. You could opt for the 35mm 1.8 if you want to go a little wider, or go to the 85mm 1.8 (and stretch your budget a bit) if you want to go a little longer. These are all very good lenses, and any of the three will give you experience shooting a prime lens, which you may end up preferring over a zoom (some do, some don't).

Good luck to you. Enjoy your photography! Regards, Brian

Brian in Montana's gear list:Brian in Montana's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +19 more
MuraliSankar
Like?
In reply to Brian in Montana, 10 months ago

Thanks all for your detailed reply which is really helping me to decide on the camera and lens...Actually my main interest is nature and wildlife..In future planning to add some good telephoto lens. But presently I need to start with a camera and lenses to start with.

Regards,

Murali

MuraliSankar
Like?
In reply to Brian in Montana, 10 months ago

Thanks all for your detailed reply which is really helping me to decide on the camera and lens...Actually my main interest is nature and wildlife..In future planning to add some good telephoto lens. But presently I need to start with a camera and lenses to start with.

I checked Nikon D7000+18-105 and 50mm F1.8 G for good price...which is $400 less than the combo Nikon D7100+18-140 and 50mm F1.8 G.

Please suggest.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

MuraliSankar wrote:

Thanks

Firstly, I am not any expert , an amateur. I also have the D300, neither of the two mentioned. However, here goes;

- the guys above make fair points on getting a flash etc, with the saved $400. However, I would buy the best I could afford in each category i.e. camera, save for flash, lens etc.

- Personally, I would suggest looking at images on such as pixel peeper and pbase and flickr, made by each camera, with a variety of lenses, different people.

That should give a sense of what the cameras output (broadly) is. Yes, lenses and photographers matter too, but there could be some differences.

- The D7100 has a better focusing mechanism. Faster and probably more accurate, it is the same apparently, as the one in the D300, which is superb.

- The D7100 sensor, which is similar to the Pentax K5, is excellent, the D7000 is also, but personally, I would give the extra resolution and the lack off AA filter on the D7100 kudos.

- A friend of mine has the D7100 and he seems to be doing well with it, good tonal range on the images.

- For a start, I would say the lenses you note should be good (for a start). But (I am going to go off the field here).... that is roughly $600 for the 18-140 + $200 for the 50mm. Total of $800.

IF you do not need the 18-28 on the 18-140, PERSONALLY, I would get an excellent condition 28-70 2.8 AFS from KEH. You can get one for say, $900. Roughly the same money.

Now, that is a decision on what focal lengths you use. As I said, do you shoot a lot of groups, or wide indoors?

If not, go to pixel peeper / pbase, flickr and view some images made with the 28-70 2.8.

You will get a top quality lens with absolutely beautiful rendition.

That is my humble opinion , one of the others will likely have a suitable contra argument and that is fine.

Just my opinion, that if you want a little help with the images, a great lens helps.

No doubt, one can get some wonderful images form the 18-140 + 50mm or 35mm 1.8.

But,  personally I would suggest the D7100 and used, excellent condition 28-70 2.8. But that is me and how I shoot and what I look for.

To be clear, I do not have the 28-70, I have the 35-70 2.8. Could not afford the 28-70 when upgrading my kit lens.

Just an opinion.

-- hide signature --

Amateur photographer. Enjoy.....believe in yourself..

Bajerunner's gear list:Bajerunner's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +8 more
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 799Gear list
Like?

If you are really new to Dslr photography and never used one before I'd get the D7000 to start with while you learn your techniques and spend the money on other extras which you'll need.

If you're also interest in wildlife then you'll need a longer lens. I would suggest the 70-300VR as an excellent lens which will match your kit lens well.

If money is no real problem then get the D7100 as it is better but only you can decide that.

2 of my younger relatives wanted to get into Dslr photography and were really just buying toys which could take good photos. I recommended to them they got older versions of the cameras they were looking at so they could try them out to see if they liked carrying around a large camera.

You can always upgrade at a later date or sell if you don't like Dslrs and not lose as much money.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Jeff AG
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?

For wildlife you are going to find that kit a bit frustrating, unless you are a much better stalker than I am! The 18-140 is a nice versatility lens that will serve you well as an all around general photography lens. The 50mm is a great lens, I have one, as well as the older 50mm 1.8D. My question is why do you want it? Like I said, it is a great lens, and I agree with the traditional idea that every photographer should have a fast fifty on 'em. But unless you are solving a particular problem with it I would put off that purchase. It is really nice in low light because it is so fast, it is just long enough and fast enough for good portrait work and it is very sharp, but if that is not the work you want to do it might be better to put your money toward a good telephoto. Especially since it is a focal length covered by the kit lens. By the same logic, in your position I would go for the D7000. It is a fine camera, nearly identical to the D7100, just a bit older, with all that that entails. So you save $200 on the 50mm, $400 on the D7000 and you are most of the way into the Sigma 120-400mm. That lens is a beast, and will really reach out and touch someone. Retail $900, B&H has one used right now for $680.

My 2¢

Jeff AG's gear list:Jeff AG's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

MuraliSankar wrote:

I checked Nikon D7000+18-105 and 50mm F1.8 G for good price...which is $400 less than the combo Nikon D7100+18-140 and 50mm F1.8 G.

Please suggest.

Nature and wildlife = excellent focus needed. D7100 focus is the D300 focusing. I would read up a bit about D7000 focus vs D7100 focus if I were considering.

If a photo is out of focus, saving 400 will be useless.

Further, as the other guy said above, better lenses get better results (in your case  =reach for nature).

Also, D7100 = 24mp vs D7000 = 16mp, so more crop room for D7100 for nature/ wildlife.

Just some thoughts for consideration. Do not rush the decision.

-- hide signature --

WryCuda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,301
Like?

sMuraliSankar wrote:

I am stuck between Nikon D7000 and Nikon D7100. I am seeing $400 difference between these cameras. Is it worth to spend $400 more for D7100. Please advise.

Cannot comment on relative merits of 7000/7100, except that I do like the features and extra pixels of the 7100. Price will be higher, particularly with the 18-140mm lens, which is a new release.

The 18-140mm seems to be the best of the Nikon 18-XX family, and gets good reviews. I also have the 50mm f/1.8 and it's a good lens. Being FX-suitable, it gives excellent coverage on the DX camera. Excellent linearity. No VR at this end of the market, but hardly necessary.

Here is a link to some early results with the 18-140mm:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52614727

Just took this walking around with standard settings, hand-held.

MuraliSankar
Like?
In reply to WryCuda, 10 months ago

Thanks for all your reply..

I am planning to go ahead with only D7100 and 50mm F1.8G lens now and then add some lens later....

With the present combo deal in BH, 18-140 is for $296....But I am planning to spend that $300+ in some good third party lens. Please suggest.

Reilly Diefenbach
Senior MemberPosts: 8,278Gear list
Like?

MuraliSankar wrote:

I am planning to go ahead with only D7100 and 50mm F1.8G lens now and then add some lens later....

With the present combo deal in BH, 18-140 is for $296....But I am planning to spend that $300+ in some good third party lens. Please suggest.

One of many good things about the Nikon system is that you can get used really good lenses in perfect shape for cheap.  The Nikon 18-105VR is the old kit lens, but it's a goody for about $150 used.  The Tamron 70-300VC is a decent telephoto for cheap.  Almost as good a deal as the Nikon 70-300VR.;^)  You made the right move with the D7100, it's one of the best performing cameras available at any price.  Just go easy on the sharpening and it will shine.

WryCuda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,301
Like?

MuraliSankar wrote:

I am planning to go ahead with only D7100 and 50mm F1.8G lens now and then add some lenses later... With the present combo deal in BH, 18-140 is for $296... But I am planning to spend that $300+ on some good third party lens. Please suggest.

There's no shortage of lenses available from Nikon, of course, as well as Sigma, Tamron and Tokina. They all have enthusiastic support, and there's an active market in refurbished/second-hand lenses through Adorama (North America). I have only bought new (Australia).

You'll find the 50mm f/1.8G is a good lens, but keep the SS at 1/60 or faster. The field of view restricts the utility of the lens, but it is a good and inexpensive place to start. I have it as part of my gear.

Other lenses:

It took me some time to decide which way I would go with lenses. I decided that landscape fitted my lifestyle, as I'm not interested in either close-up or telephoto work. Finally bought a 10-20mm Sigma for wide-angle landscapes, and I'm pleased with it. I generally travel with the 18-55mm kit lens as well as the 10-20mm. At a pinch, the latter can be pressed into use as a general-purpose lens (at 20mm) if something comes up when it's fitted. Ultra wide angle (15mm and less) doesn't suit every subject, or every photographer.

Macro lenses for close-up may suit you; they can also be used for standard shooting, and there are some zoom lenses that have the ability to focus close.

Going "long" (300mm plus on a DX) can be an expensive business, and the lenses are quite large.

No doubt you will get "one or two" suggestions from other forum members.

jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,655Gear list
Like?
In reply to WryCuda, 10 months ago

Since you've made a great choice on the D7100....as mentioned above, the AF in the D7100 is going to be much better suited for what you're planning to shoot, plus the 1.3x crop mode will offer a bit of in camera reach and extra fps.

As far as lenses go, you can't go wrong with a 50 as a first lens.  Won't do a whole lot for you for the wildlife imaging, but it will be excellent to allow you to learn your new camera.

Until you recover from your initial purchase to invest in some other glass, I'd now start shopping for a Nikon 80-200 f2.8D....either the 2 ring or the Push/Pull (but make sure it's the D version push pull).  It is an absolutely stunning piece of glass, with a constant f2.8 aperture, and is a true professional lens.  The reason I say until you recover is that unlike the newer f2.8's which can run $1500-$2500 USD, the 80-200 can be had around $750 USD for the two ring, and as low as $350 USD for the Push/Pull variant.  Basically, it gives you a professional grade lens for the cost of a consumer zoom, and because you're going with a body with an in camera focus motor (the lower bodies rely on in lens focus motors), you can use the older lenses with the "screw drive" AF systems.

jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Nikon D7000 or Nikon D7100 couple of thougths...re lens
In reply to jimoyer, 10 months ago

jimoyer wrote:

Since you've made a great choice on the D7100....as mentioned above, the AF in the D7100 is going to be much better suited for what you're planning to shoot, plus the 1.3x crop mode will offer a bit of in camera reach and extra fps.

As far as lenses go, you can't go wrong with a 50 as a first lens. Won't do a whole lot for you for the wildlife imaging, but it will be excellent to allow you to learn your new camera.

Until you recover from your initial purchase to invest in some other glass, I'd now start shopping for a Nikon 80-200 f2.8D....either the 2 ring or the Push/Pull (but make sure it's the D version push pull). It is an absolutely stunning piece of glass, with a constant f2.8 aperture, and is a true professional lens. The reason I say until you recover is that unlike the newer f2.8's which can run $1500-$2500 USD, the 80-200 can be had around $750 USD for the two ring, and as low as $350 USD for the Push/Pull variant. Basically, it gives you a professional grade lens for the cost of a consumer zoom, and because you're going with a body with an in camera focus motor (the lower bodies rely on in lens focus motors), you can use the older lenses with the "screw drive" AF systems.

+1 I have the 2 ring, J Moyer is spot on, I think this is the 'deal of the century' in lenses, Nikon or otherwise.

Some other cheap but useful that have good reputations, that can get you the focal lengths you may want (for general use other than wildlife), until you can afford more high quality lenses:

- as Reilly said, the 18-105.

- the 18-70 AFS DX , generally can be had in excellent condition for around a hundred dollars

- the 35mm 1.8 G DX may give you a more appropriate focal length for taking photos of groups and definitely indoors. The 50mm 1.8 will be better for portraits on DX. That said, I have some landscape photos I have taken with a 50mm.

For used lenses, you can keep an eye on Ebay if you are sure you can navigate the 'good' and 'bad'.

Or , you can check KEH dot com or B&H dot com or Adorama dot com. I have used KEH a few times on the recommendations here and am fully satisfied by their products and sales service.

Best of luck.

-- hide signature --

MuraliSankar
Like?
Re: Nikon D7000 or Nikon D7100 couple of thougths...re lens
In reply to Bajerunner, 10 months ago

Hi all, Thanks for your advice. I ordered D7100 and 50mm F1.8 G lens to start with.

Regards,

Murali

calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,329
Like?

Digital cameras are more like computers and each new model upgrade will have improvements over the prior models. In your place I would read owners comments about what they do no like about their D7000 cameras and see if any of these problems were addressed with the D7100.

The D7100 will provide better performance but whether it is 60% better is a who knows question. How much better was the iPhone 5 over the iPhone 4? With my own experience a new camera will often outperform in many respects a two generation back digital camera that cost 2 to 5 times as much.

JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,388Gear list
Like?
Don't even think about the D7000 for wildlife...

The D7100's autofocus system and higher resolution rule.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads