Canon 5D vs 5D mark II - ISO 3200 RAW comparasion pics - SMALL DIFFERENCES?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
skalsa1
Regular MemberPosts: 383
Like?
Canon 5D vs 5D mark II - ISO 3200 RAW comparasion pics - SMALL DIFFERENCES?
8 months ago

Hi theres two pics from my 5D and 5D mark II. same ISO (3200), both in raw, same setting. it is such a small difference than I though it will be (before test). i hope it will help somebody

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,739Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon 5D vs 5D mark II - ISO 3200 RAW comparasion pics - SMALL DIFFERENCES?
In reply to skalsa1, 8 months ago

Not a surprise as said in DPR 5D II's review

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5dmarkii/38

However at per-pixel basis. If you downsize 5D2 to 5D1's size or upsize 5D1 to 5D2's size, 5D2 should be better, but still only slightly not head and shoulder difference.  5D2 is noticeably better in resolution however, and can further extend beyond ISO 3200.

I own both 5D1 and 5D2 as well as 5D3.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clint Dunn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,227Gear list
Like?
In reply to skalsa1, 8 months ago

skalsa1 wrote:

Hi theres two pics from my 5D and 5D mark II. same ISO (3200), both in raw, same setting. it is such a small difference than I though it will be (before test). i hope it will help somebody

Yes...not exactly news in 2013.  What was incredible about this in 2008 was that Canon crammed 21MP into that sensor and kept the noise down...I owned a 5D and upgraded to the 5D2 and image quality from both was (and still is) awesome.

Fast forward to 2013 and Canon sensor technology is stuck in...well....2008:)  Hopefully in 2014 Canon will get ahead of the sensor tech again....the D800E is an awfully tempting option but I'm invested in Canon glass.

-- hide signature --
 Clint Dunn's gear list:Clint Dunn's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +3 more
Mikael Risedal
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,162
Like?
In reply to Clint Dunn, 8 months ago

There are a difference between 12 and 21Mp, but you need a good lens and know what you are looking after, I did a "double blind test " years ago with 5d and 5dmk2 and 50cm big copies. 15 persons was looking at different copies and then vote for the best copy and from which camera,  3 person saw the difference in a tiny texture from the 21Mp camera , 12 persons did not see any difference.

If you know to what  to look after there are a difference

-- hide signature --

Member of Swedish Photographers Association since 1984
Canon, Hasselblad, Leica,Nikon, Linhoff, Sinar
Member of International anti-banding and read out noise Association

qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,739Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mikael Risedal, 8 months ago

Mikael Risedal wrote:

There are a difference between 12 and 21Mp, but you need a good lens and know what you are looking after, I did a "double blind test " years ago with 5d and 5dmk2 and 50cm big copies. 15 persons was looking at different copies and then vote for the best copy and from which camera, 3 person saw the difference in a tiny texture from the 21Mp camera , 12 persons did not see any difference.

If you know to what to look after there are a difference

The same true between 22/24mp and 36mp that you'd need to use even better lenses and with better techniques with even higher 'diminishing return'

-- hide signature --

Member of Swedish Photographers Association since 1984
Canon, Hasselblad, Leica,Nikon, Linhoff, Sinar
Member of International anti-banding and read out noise Association

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads