Can't stop loving my precious Fuji X-E1

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
vratnik
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
Can't stop loving my precious Fuji X-E1
7 months ago

It's been over a year since I own this beast inside a beauty - mirrorless CSC Fujifilm X-E1. Now that X-E2 is out, my loyalty to the first model is surprisingly unaltered. This must be some sort of addiction. I'm just perfectly happy with X-E1 and feel no need to upgrade.
Fujifilm's Kaizen strategy keeps competitors crucified to the back seat of the last car of the train to the future. They might have even disconnected that last car.
Shooting with the X-E1 is entirely new experience, every day. You get portability, comfort and appreciation of that posh style. You are a new kind of person.
What fuels this love story? The designers' craft? The constant improvement of firmware? That insane image quality? Is it just my fetish?
I don't know.
I don't care.

vratnik's gear list:vratnik's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +4 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pcb_dpr
Contributing MemberPosts: 651
Like?
Re: Can't stop loving my precious Fuji X-E1
In reply to vratnik, 7 months ago

I felt the same way until I actually handled the XE2. I found enough improvement in focusing speed that now I very much want the XE2.

Strangely, that hasn't happened with my X100. I finally got an X100S, expecting to sell the X100, but somehow I can't bring myself to sell it. There's nothing I can identify that I like better, but I just don't want to sell her to someone else. I'll grab either, and never feel like I wish I was using the other one instead. Very odd...

vratnik wrote:

...Now that X-E2 is out, my loyalty to the first model is surprisingly unaltered. This must be some sort of addiction. I'm just perfectly happy with X-E1 and feel no need to upgrade.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,910Gear list
Like?
In reply to pcb_dpr, 7 months ago

I love my E1 and 100s, too. Before you even take a shot they just feel so right in your hand. And even more right when you are actually taking the shot. But then…you see the results, and they are eye popping. THey not only make you look like a better photographer, but also make you a better one, too.

Sal

Sal18's gear list:Sal18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,338Gear list
Like?

Have you ever owned a DSLR? I haven't, so perhaps that's why I'm not looking for "faster". Plus, I'm of the age where taking things a bit more slowly with a camera is enjoyable. Last weekend I shot a couple of rolls of 6x9 on the street / park, festooned in 'Texas Leica' and light meter and afterwards got my X-E1 out, stuck the Summicron 90 on and practiced some manual stuff on a slackliner having fun -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/95540165@N08/11269966486/

I was quietly contented, went home happy. The X-E2 can get a couple of iterations of firmware yet, like being able to assign View Mode to an Fn button, then I might think about it, then I might not. I'm in no hurry.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,222Gear list
Like?

vratnik wrote:

It's been over a year since I own this beast inside a beauty - mirrorless CSC Fujifilm X-E1. Now that X-E2 is out, my loyalty to the first model is surprisingly unaltered. This must be some sort of addiction. I'm just perfectly happy with X-E1 and feel no need to upgrade.
Fujifilm's Kaizen strategy keeps competitors crucified to the back seat of the last car of the train to the future. They might have even disconnected that last car.
Shooting with the X-E1 is entirely new experience, every day. You get portability, comfort and appreciation of that posh style. You are a new kind of person.
What fuels this love story? The designers' craft? The constant improvement of firmware? That insane image quality? Is it just my fetish?
I don't know.
I don't care.

I totally agree with you.

The X-E1 is sharper than the X-E2 to start with, due to the X-E2 having two extra layers of elements in front of the photosites that the X-E1 doesn't have. I know me saying this will earn the ire of some but let them argue with the laws of physics on that one.

I was one of the few who didn't find fault with my X-E1 before all the firmware updates but now the thing is lightning fast with all the updates. I guess this could be more due to the fact my own shooting style is somewhat methodical and measured.

The X-Pro2 may interest me down the track but I really can't see me being less than 110% happy with my little X-E1.

So yes, I'm also finding the X-E1 the perfect little tool and a pleasure to use.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
WT Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,420
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, 7 months ago

The X-E1 is a good camera. I did buy a X-E2 to see if the auto focus and a 55-200 zoom could keep up with some Youth Hockey. One game shot so far looks promising believe it or not, but that is a story for another time. However all is not lost on the X-E1. I now have it permanently mounted to a Canon FD 500mm f/4.5 Tele lens as my backyard bird/wild critter rig. The focus peaking addition really helps in this area for me. It's a challenge in low light, but a fun one.

-- hide signature --

Warren

Ed B
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,827
Like?

vratnik wrote:

I don't know.
I don't care.

I have to agree that the X-E1 is an excellent camera.

I have a couple of older Canon DSLRs (10D & 40D) that I love but with all the improvements in sensor quality decided to buy a newer camera that did a better job with high ISO.

After a lot of thought I decided to give mirrorless a try. I originally bought an Olympus, then an NEX but didn't keep either camera very long and almost gave up on anything other than a DSLR.

When I went out to buy a new Canon I found an excellent deal on a used (just a couple weeks old) X-E1 at a brick & mortar store with the 35mm lens. Couldn't pass up the deal I got so I bought it and have been very happy with the camera.

I do have a minor complaint about auto focus tracking speed but that's about the only negative thing I can say about the camera.

I know the X-E2 does have some improved features and that it's a great camera but I just don't see how it, or any camera with an APS sensor, could produce a better image than the X-E1.

I'll probably keep mine for a couple more years before I even think about "upgrading".

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
Like?

vratnik wrote:

I don't know.
I don't care.

Exactly! I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary and am very pleased. No itch to scratch for a new camera at all. Perhaps in 2015.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
kwa_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,390Gear list
Like?
In reply to WT Jones, 7 months ago

WT Jones wrote:

The X-E1 is a good camera. I did buy a X-E2 to see if the auto focus and a 55-200 zoom could keep up with some Youth Hockey. One game shot so far looks promising believe it or not, but that is a story for another time. However all is not lost on the X-E1. I now have it permanently mounted to a Canon FD 500mm f/4.5 Tele lens as my backyard bird/wild critter rig. The focus peaking addition really helps in this area for me. It's a challenge in low light, but a fun one.

-- hide signature --

Warren

I can keep up with hockey on my XE1 and the 55-200 no doubt, the 2 is faster though.

-- hide signature --

Ken
FujiFilm FinePix Moderator (PM with Q's vs. a public post please)
http://www.kwaphoto.com
http://500px.com/kwaphoto/sets

kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,602Gear list
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

vratnik wrote:

I don't know.
I don't care.

The X-E1 is sharper than the X-E2 to start with, due to the X-E2 having two extra layers of elements in front of the photosites that the X-E1 doesn't have. I know me saying this will earn the ire of some but let them argue with the laws of physics on that one.

Please post any credible proof for that statement, perhaps a comparison of sharpness.

Sal

I was one of the few who didn't find fault with my X-E1 before all the firmware updates but now the thing is lightning fast with all the updates. I guess this could be more due to the fact my own shooting style is somewhat methodical and measured.

The X-Pro2 may interest me down the track but I really can't see me being less than 110% happy with my little X-E1.

So yes, I'm also finding the X-E1 the perfect little tool and a pleasure to use.

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
BillyInya
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 7 months ago

Sal Baker wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

vratnik wrote:

I don't know.
I don't care.

Please post any credible proof for that statement, perhaps a comparison of sharpness.

Sal

Better than that you can do your own experiment and see this for yourself on your own equipment. There is no better proof.

Take a pic and then take another pic with, say, a half dozen clear panes of glass in front of the lens. Now examine the difference between the two images. There will be a difference and that difference can be divided up between the number of panes thus giving a differential value per pane.

With a single pane it will be near impossible to spot the difference but there will be one.

Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?

Where are you getting this information. Can you source it?

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Sal Baker
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

vratnik wrote:

I don't know.
I don't care.

Sal

Better than that you can do your own experiment and see this for yourself on your own equipment. There is no better proof.

Take a pic and then take another pic with, say, a half dozen clear panes of glass in front of the lens. Now examine the difference between the two images. There will be a difference and that difference can be divided up between the number of panes thus giving a differential value per pane.

With a single pane it will be near impossible to spot the difference but there will be one.

Again, please provide credible sources for that theory.  I have tested the X-E2 extensively, sharpness is superb.

Sal

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
BillyInya
Like?

Sal Baker wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

vratnik wrote:

I don't know.
I don't care.

Sal

Again, please provide credible sources for that theory. I have tested the X-E2 extensively, sharpness is superb.

Sal

Again, like I have explained to you very clearly you can do this and prove this for yourself on your own equipment.

Like gravity, you can let go of something yourself and it will fall towards the earth. That's you doing your own experiment to prove something to yourself.

Asking me for credible sources to prove added material elements in front of a sensor fractionally degrades the quality of light getting through is about as inept as asking me for "credible sources" to prove gravity.

Whether you like it or not the X-E1 is fractionally sharper than the X-E2 on account of the extra material elements in front of the X-E2's photosites that the X-E1 does not have.

bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,393Gear list
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

Whether you like it or not the X-E1 is fractionally sharper than the X-E2 on account of the extra material elements in front of the X-E2's photosites that the X-E1 does not have.

If this is only "theoretically" true -- i.e. if you cannot demonstrate it -- then it is meaningless. Most photographers are concerned with the demonstrable, perceptible sharpness of an image, not with theoretical sharpness. You knew when you made the initial assertion that it was something you could not substantiate, which is why you keep returning to a theoretical premise whenever anyone requests evidence. Without evidence, your "theoretical advantage" is just burnished imagination.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?

I am not aware that there is any "extra material" over the X-E2 photo sites. Please source that information.

BillyInya wrote:

Again, like I have explained to you very clearly you can do this and prove this for yourself on your own equipment.

Like gravity, you can let go of something yourself and it will fall towards the earth. That's you doing your own experiment to prove something to yourself.

Asking me for credible sources to prove added material elements in front of a sensor fractionally degrades the quality of light getting through is about as inept as asking me for "credible sources" to prove gravity.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Sal Baker
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

vratnik wrote:

I don't know.
I don't care.

Sal

Again, please provide credible sources for that theory. I have tested the X-E2 extensively, sharpness is superb.

Sal

You continue to dodge the issue you presented.  Please prove there is any extra material elements on the X-E2 vs the X-E1, then we can discuss the benefit, or not of any extra materials.

Sal

BillyInya
Like?

Sal Baker wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

vratnik wrote:

I don't know.
I don't care.

Sal

Sal

You continue to dodge the issue you presented. Please prove there is any extra material elements on the X-E2 vs the X-E1, then we can discuss the benefit, or not of any extra materials.

Sal

There is no "issue".

When you place extra multiple layers of material in front of the photosites it degrades the quality of light getting to the photosites. This is not me "claiming" this, it is just a simple law of physics.

I have suggested now twice for you to do your own very simple and easy experiment so you can see this for yourself. Try putting six of seven filters in front of your lens and see the difference between an image taken and one without filters. There will be a difference which should be easy to spot, harder to spot with only one or two filters but there will be a difference.

It's no big deal, unless you are really pixel peeping, the difference will be unnoticeable, but there is a difference. Don't get angry that your X-E2 is not as sharp as the X-E1. As you've mentioned previously your X-E2 is superbly sharp for you and this is what its all about.

Ed/Chicago
Regular MemberPosts: 163
Like?

I, too, am very afraid of anything that is near impossible to spot.

bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,393Gear list
Like?

BillyInya wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

Sal Baker wrote:

BillyInya wrote:

vratnik wrote:

I don't know.
I don't care.

Sal

Sal

You continue to dodge the issue you presented. Please prove there is any extra material elements on the X-E2 vs the X-E1, then we can discuss the benefit, or not of any extra materials.

Sal

There is no "issue".

When you place extra multiple layers of material in front of the photosites it degrades the quality of light getting to the photosites. This is not me "claiming" this, it is just a simple law of physics.

I have suggested now twice for you to do your own very simple and easy experiment so you can see this for yourself. Try putting six of seven filters in front of your lens and see the difference between an image taken and one without filters. There will be a difference which should be easy to spot, harder to spot with only one or two filters but there will be a difference.

It's no big deal, unless you are really pixel peeping, the difference will be unnoticeable, but there is a difference. Don't get angry that your X-E2 is not as sharp as the X-E1. As you've mentioned previously your X-E2 is superbly sharp for you and this is what its all about.

This is pretty bizarre.  Deductive reasoning to resolve an empirical question that is easily refutable. Can we agree that Fuji would not have introduced a newer model that was perceptibly less "sharp" than the older model of the same camera?  If so -- if there is no perceptible or demonstrable difference -- then in what sense is the X-E2 "less sharp"?

You now assert that the difference is noticeable when one is really pixel peeping.  Since you are the one making the claim, you should provide the evidence.

It makes as much sense, with the improvements in sensor technology and processing power of the X-E2 over the E1, to assume a clearer image, based in technological advances that enable Fuji to squeeze more detail out of the same sensor. We know, for one thing, that they have cranked up the number of bits of the raw output file, yielding more color detail.  Perhaps there are other improvements as well.

All of this is pure speculation. Generally photographers who make comparative claims on this forum feel obliged to provide evidence for their claims. Your repeated reference to six filters versus 1 filter is a convenient analogy that may have nothing to do with any actual differences at the sensor level between the two cameras.

The X-E1 is an amazing camera.  The X-E2 is more of the same, but faster. There's really not much more to it than that.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads