Solutions to the crap hood of the 23mm

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
zenpmd
Contributing MemberPosts: 673Gear list
Like?
Solutions to the crap hood of the 23mm
4 months ago

Any small 3rd party ones out there a la 35mm? Thanks!

zenpmd's gear list:zenpmd's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,010Gear list
Like?
Re: Solutions to the crap hood of the 23mm
In reply to zenpmd, 4 months ago

Remember, it is only crap until the sun the gets in and ruins a shot.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mr moonlight
Senior MemberPosts: 1,382
Like?

zenpmd wrote:

Any small 3rd party ones out there a la 35mm? Thanks!

Just get yourself a cheap metal vented screw-on hood. It obviously won't offer the same amount of protection as the OEM one, but it still offers some protection without the size.

zenpmd
Contributing MemberPosts: 673Gear list
Like?
In reply to mr moonlight, 4 months ago

Thanks Mr Moonlight. I heard they might cause vignetting?

zenpmd's gear list:zenpmd's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

zenpmd wrote:

Thanks Mr Moonlight. I heard they might cause vignetting?

Yes, some do. You'll have to test them to see how they work for you.

My screw in hood works fine without a filter. It vignettes a little with a filter. I'm not too horribly offended by the standard hood, though.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Activatedfx
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?

I just got this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Metal-Wide-Angle-62mm-Screw-in-Lens-Hood-Cap-/360810412459?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5401f9f9ab

It's pretty short, about a 1/2" deep, and does NOT vignette, even on top of a slim filter. I'm not sure how much flare protection it will give - I mainly wanted it for some "front end" protection.

WT Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,335
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 4 months ago

Al Valentino wrote:

Remember, it is only crap until the sun the gets in and ruins a shot.

I agree. It also comes in handy if it is snowing! I did buy a shorter metal screw in to use as well. But I find myself using the Big Ugly one more often than not.

-- hide signature --

Warren

flbrit
Senior MemberPosts: 2,709Gear list
Like?
YM do not match mine :-)

I don't find the hood crap at all. Form follows function in my view. But hey, everyone is entitled to their own artistic opinions.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
naftade
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?

Yes, the hood is ugly. Since I kind of like flares and ghostings every once in a while, I decided just not to use it. I put on a good UV filter for protection though, which by the way offers better protection against the ever sticky fingers of my toddlers.

naftade's gear list:naftade's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E2
afragisk
Regular MemberPosts: 466
Like?
In reply to naftade, 4 months ago

naftade wrote:

Yes, the hood is ugly. Since I kind of like flares and ghostings every once in a while, I decided just not to use it. I put on a good UV filter for protection though, which by the way offers better protection against the ever sticky fingers of my toddlers.

Hi, does this mean that if you do not see flares or ghostings in the photo, you will bear no image degradation - in the absence of a hood ? Will it not affect colors or contrast in any way not immediately visible ? Thx.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE-2, Canon FD 50 & 85 1.2L, Fuji 14mm 2.8, 27mm 2.8, 35mm 1.4, Bower 8mm 2.8

afragisk
Regular MemberPosts: 466
Like?
In reply to Activatedfx, 4 months ago

Activatedfx wrote:

I just got this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Metal-Wide-Angle-62mm-Screw-in-Lens-Hood-Cap-/360810412459?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5401f9f9ab

It's pretty short, about a 1/2" deep, and does NOT vignette, even on top of a slim filter. I'm not sure how much flare protection it will give - I mainly wanted it for some "front end" protection.

I really like this, good idea. Based on your experience so far, does it actually improve the quality (colors, contrast) of the photos that you can tell ?

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE-2, Canon FD 50 & 85 1.2L, Fuji 14mm 2.8, 27mm 2.8, 23mm 1.4, Bower 8mm 2.8

naftade
Regular MemberPosts: 241Gear list
Like?
In reply to afragisk, 4 months ago

naftade wrote:

Hi, does this mean that if you do not see flares or ghostings in the photo, you will bear no image degradation - in the absence of a hood ? Will it not affect colors or contrast in any way not immediately visible ? Thx.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE-2, Canon FD 50 & 85 1.2L, Fuji 14mm 2.8, 27mm 2.8, 35mm 1.4, Bower 8mm 2.8

In most situations i do not see any difference. But this goes for all lenses with multi-coated glass I ever used. A fall off in contrast should not be noticeable in any but the brightest surroundings or (of course) when a light source is directed straight into the lens.

And there is another thing. Hoods are no magic items. They can only be as effective as they are capable of shielding the lens against stray light. Thus when using a wider angled lens the effect necessarily becomes less obvious as the hood has to be wide open in order not to vignette. Being a wide standard lens, I'd claim the 23 1.4 is not one of those lenses that practcally 'have to be used with a hood'.

naftade's gear list:naftade's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E2
Activatedfx
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?
In reply to afragisk, 4 months ago

afragisk wrote:

Activatedfx wrote:

I just got this one:

I really like this, good idea. Based on your experience so far, does it actually improve the quality (colors, contrast) of the photos that you can tell ?

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE-2, Canon FD 50 & 85 1.2L, Fuji 14mm 2.8, 27mm 2.8, 23mm 1.4, Bower 8mm 2.8

Hi afragisk - I haven't really done any with or without hood testing. I bought it mostly for a little "front end" protection, as I don't like to use UV filters. My main concern was that it didn't vignette. I'm sure it's better than nothing, but obviously it's not going to be as good as the Fuji OEM hood!

pluton
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028
Like?
In reply to Activatedfx, 4 months ago

I plan to obtain a second Fuji hood for the 23mm, and then saw off the long petals.  That way I'll have the original for maximum flare suppression, and the sawed-off unit for compact requirements.

The problem with screw-in metal hoods are:

1.  They're screw-in, and therefore interfere with filters and come closer to vignetting.  And,

2.  They're metal, which clearly offers less impact protection that pliant plastic.

I wish the hoods on all my Zeiss ZF lenses were plastic for this reason.

-- hide signature --

-KB-

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads