Indoor - stadium sport shooting : Nikon 1 V2 or ... ?

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
GillesF
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Indoor - stadium sport shooting : Nikon 1 V2 or ... ?
Dec 10, 2013

Hello,

I need to get a cam for places like stadiums and indoor arenas where there is a "camera policy" allowing detachables lenses of maximum size of Four Thirds alike, or not detachable at all.

I'm a Nikon user (D3s, D4 the lenses that go with them) and would like to buy Nikon in priority. And if worth in the hybrid or compact range.

I thought about the 1 V2 but would like better lenses than the Nikon ones.

Two questions first :

1. shutter speed of the 1 V2 is great, but ISO capabilities seems les convinicing.

2. Is it possible to put other brand lenses to the 1 V2 (and with or without adapter) ?

I've also seen that Sony RX-10 looks not bad (and with a 200mm capability). But some on DP forums doubt about it on the stop action / mouving target side.

Thanks for you advices (and sorry for my english, not my birth language)

Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
vkyr2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,455Gear list
Like?
Re: Indoor - stadium sport shooting : Nikon 1 V2 or ... ?
In reply to GillesF, Dec 10, 2013

GillesF wrote:

Hello,

I need to get a cam for places like stadiums and indoor arenas where there is a "camera policy" allowing detachables lenses of maximum size of Four Thirds alike, or not detachable at all.

I'm a Nikon user (D3s, D4 the lenses that go with them) and would like to buy Nikon in priority. And if worth in the hybrid or compact range.

Two questions first :

1. shutter speed of the 1 V2 is great, but ISO capabilities seems les convinicing.

It mainly depends on several factors here, like the locations overall given lighting conditions, the shooting distance and thus usage of fast glass and probably how accurate the Ft1 adapter works together with certain faster Nikon tele glass etc. here. - Well higher ISO shots for stadiums and indoor arenas and such scenarios are of course more limited here than on bigger sensor champs like D3s or D4 etc. - I believe some of the birders here in the forum might can tell you better what to expect and what not under dimmer lighting conditions!

2. Is it possible to put other brand lenses to the 1 V2 (and with or without adapter) ?

There are a bunch of third-party lens adapters available for the N1 system, so it might be dependent on what specific third party brand lenses you had in mind to use for a V2.

I've also seen that Sony RX-10 looks not bad (and with a 200mm capability). But some on DP forums doubt about it on the stop action / mouving target side.

The cam is still very new and thus you may will have to wait for some more specific and concrete reviews and statements from sport shooters and the like. Aka real reviews and tryouts from people who tried that cam under exactly such conditions you are going to use it. - Only guesses from people without some own real scenario tryouts from them won't help you much here!

-- hide signature --

Valentino

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,929
Like?
Depends on light levels
In reply to GillesF, Dec 10, 2013

If the indoor arenas are fairly dim then the Nikon 1 telephotos and m4/3 telephotos won't help you much, all being F5.6 aperture or smaller at the long end.

The Nikon V2 could, however, be used with the fT-1 adapter to give you very fast and assured continuous autofocus with Nikon DSLR lenses (albeit only with the central focus point). You could, for instance, spend some money and get the V2, FT-1 adapter and Nikon 85mm f1.4 lens. That would give you the equivalent of a compact 230mm f1.4 lens which would work pretty well in low light with all the benefits of the V2 frame rates and continuous autofocus. Which would be very difficult, if not mpossible to recreate with another system. You would also be able to use the excellent 85mm f1.4 on your Nikon dSLRs as a very, very nice portrait lens.
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

GillesF
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Re: Depends on light levels
In reply to Photo Pete, Dec 11, 2013

Thanks Pete,

Honestly I'm frustrated no to being allowed to use the D4 and 300mm or even the 70-200 VRII but "cam rules" seems very straight (one of the venue is the Monster Jam in LV, the other one is NASCAR)

For MJ, hybrids are allowed (even if removable lenses) but I'm stuck in getting something good but ... tiny and "non professional" ...

For NASCAR I don't know if there's a "cam policy" but it seems so (which is a good thing anyway)

I even don't know if they check that or what happens if I get there with my usual gear (even the "small" 70-200 ) ... I'm based in Switzerland and rules are a bit different. So because I usually shoot with the Nikon "big ones", I'm lost a finding something "compact" or "hybrid" that could get near these...

What's more, many cams in that category seems to have a "lag" during pics recording, range is far too short, etc.

2. I wondered if I could use a Panasonic Lumix G lens on the 1 V2 ?? It seems they have faster and longer focals.

So, any advice is welcome

Photo Pete
Senior MemberPosts: 1,929
Like?
In reply to GillesF, Dec 11, 2013

Thanks Pete,

Honestly I'm frustrated no to being allowed to use the D4 and 300mm or even the 70-200 VRII but "cam rules" seems very straight (one of the venue is the Monster Jam in LV, the other one is NASCAR)

For MJ, hybrids are allowed (even if removable lenses) but I'm stuck in getting something good but ... tiny and "non professional" ...

For NASCAR I don't know if there's a "cam policy" but it seems so (which is a good thing anyway)

I even don't know if they check that or what happens if I get there with my usual gear (even the "small" 70-200 ) ... I'm based in Switzerland and rules are a bit different. So because I usually shoot with the Nikon "big ones", I'm lost a finding something "compact" or "hybrid" that could get near these...

What's more, many cams in that category seems to have a "lag" during pics recording, range is far too short, etc.

2. I wondered if I could use a Panasonic Lumix G lens on the 1 V2 ?? It seems they have faster and longer focals.

Which Lumix G lens are you looking at? Everything over 100mm seems to be slow (f4-5.6) and relatively bulky.
--
Have Fun
Photo Pete

ragspix
Contributing MemberPosts: 750Gear list
Like?

GillesF wrote:

Hello,

Two questions first :

You will be disappointed with the low light capability of the V1& 2. You're shooting motion and you need good low light capability

You might like to wait for the V3 announcement in January

If you go to these events with a girl, have her put the 300s w 70/200 in her handbag. Security seems to be less likely to look in there, but a backpack.

I have smuggled in my gear in a lot of events. It's unfair to restrict us and let the p&s/iphones with flashes popping all over the place.

The good thing about the Nikon 1 system is the silent shutter. So you can shoot ballet, Cirque and not bother the neighbor spectators

Rags

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,585Gear list
Like?
Yes...EM-1+ 35-100 mm f2.8

But it is very expensive compared to the other options. I guess something like 2500 dollars if not more. It is really compact for such a combination though...

Cheaper would be EM5 or GX7 but they lack PDAF. EM5 is not good enough, G6 did surprising well in AF tracking (not as good as a DSLR, V1/BV2 or EM1). Even a bit better than several mirrorless cams with on sensor PDAF. So: how about GX7? It is newer but is it even better?

I have tried EPL5 with sports in reasonable light (ISO800 was needed) and it did its job. Not very good, not very bad. With the 45-200 mm Panny. Not the best lens for this. Indoors it is just not good enough. f5.6 means ISO 3200 to ISO 6400 at 200 mm (400 mm). So an f2.8 100 mm would be ISO 800- ISO1600. Current m43 sensors give very good results till ISO 3200. ISO6400. for me is just a step too far, but may be EM1 just nudges it..

All in all I think m43s only gives you good results here when you pay a lot of money (EM1+ 35-100 mm f2.8).

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Digetydog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,337Gear list
Like?
In reply to GillesF, Dec 12, 2013

GillesF wrote:

Thanks Pete,

I even don't know if they check that or what happens if I get there with my usual gear (even the "small" 70-200 ) ... I'm based in Switzerland and rules are a bit different. So because I usually shoot with the Nikon "big ones", I'm lost a finding something "compact" or "hybrid" that could get near these...

For NASCAR, I was able to take my d7000 with a 70-300 mounted.  While I think each track has a policy, they seem to be very generous.  (Get a Pit Pass - they are worth it).

I have used my N1 inside an arena, but keeping shutter speed up can be a problem.  Arenas are becoming more and more  restrictive About what they allow in.  I think a N1 system will be about the best we can get past security.

Digetydog's gear list:Digetydog's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
nigelht
Regular MemberPosts: 430Gear list
Like?
In reply to Digetydog, Dec 12, 2013

You can also look at the FT1 + the 105mm f/2.8. That's not a huge huge lens (8.38 x 11.68 cm) and gives the same reach as 283mm and a decent speed.

scottyinfrisco
Regular MemberPosts: 487Gear list
Like?
In reply to GillesF, Dec 12, 2013

I think the FT-1 w/85mm 1.8 is a good option, also the GX7 or PM2 w/75mm 1.8 would do well I think.  I'm wanting to try both these combos myself.

scottyinfrisco's gear list:scottyinfrisco's gear list
Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D200 +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads