FF hype is great for unstylish APS-C believers

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
Dirk W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,689Gear list
Like?
FF hype is great for unstylish APS-C believers
Dec 10, 2013

I just love the FF hype. Today I bought the SEL 10-18 for an absolute bargain price from someone who upgraded to FF. Last week I added a stellar A77 with 2 great lenses to my gear - for almost half of the regular used price - for the same reason; seller upgraded to FF. For me who decided to stay with APS-C (admittedly having to fight some temptation :-)), this FF hype is like heaven and I can buy used APS-C equipment that I have been interested in for a long while for prices that i could never dream of. Don't get me wrong - the A7s look great and I really understand why people like them. But soon there will probably come a new top NEX model, and then.....

Anybody else of the APS-C believers using the chance right now?

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 +17 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,984
Like?
Re: FF hype is great for unstylish APS-C believers
In reply to Dirk W, Dec 10, 2013

Dirk W wrote:

I just love the FF hype. Today I bought the SEL 10-18 for an absolute bargain price from someone who upgraded to FF. Last week I added a stellar A77 with 2 great lenses to my gear - for almost half of the regular used price - for the same reason; seller upgraded to FF. For me who decided to stay with APS-C (admittedly having to fight some temptation :-)), this FF hype is like heaven and I can buy used APS-C equipment that I have been interested in for a long while for prices that i could never dream of. Don't get me wrong - the A7s look great and I really understand why people like them. But soon there will probably come a new top NEX model, and then.....

Guess what, you can buy film cameras and lenses for a fraction of their original price and a lot cheaper than modern equipment.

There is nothing morally, etc. right or wrong with either choice and each one may make sense in a particular context. I just wish people stopped polluting the forum with inane threads about the superiority of their decisions.

-- hide signature --

"Ninety percent of everything is crap" - Sturgeon's law

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dirk W
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, Dec 10, 2013

forpetessake wrote:

Guess what, you can buy film cameras and lenses for a fraction of their original price and a lot cheaper than modern equipment.

There is nothing morally, etc. right or wrong with either choice and each one may make sense in a particular context. I just wish people stopped polluting the forum with inane threads about the superiority of their decisions.

LOL - I really do not call my decision superior or morally right, and I can understand everybody who likes and buys an A7 - as said I am tempted myself but manage to resist. But I am also glad that I find such good SONY APS-C equipment really cheap right now and wondered if other people have made similar experiences. Btw I would not call the SEL 10-18 outdated.

NexOffender
Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?

It's a great time to buy e mount lenses on eBay. I got a black 18-55 the other day for $100 delivered and a Tamron 18-200 for $400. I also saw an SEL20 sell for $175 and a 24Z for under $800 but I had to pass them up. Now I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on a second NEX-6 so I don't have to swap lenses as much.

It probably won't last though. I expect prices to go back up when the NEX6 replacement is released.

NexOffender's gear list:NexOffender's gear list
Pentax Efina
Coopscoop
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
In reply to NexOffender, Dec 10, 2013

NexOffender wrote:

It's a great time to buy e mount lenses on eBay. I got a black 18-55 the other day for $100 delivered and a Tamron 18-200 for $400. I also saw an SEL20 sell for $175 and a 24Z for under $800 but I had to pass them up. Now I'm keeping an eye out for a good deal on a second NEX-6 so I don't have to swap lenses as much.

It probably won't last though. I expect prices to go back up when the NEX6 replacement is released.

I picked up a NEX 6 body at the Sony Rewards website (for Sony Card holders) on sale for $460. Got a new SELP1650 for $165 shippped on ebay and now have a new SEL35f18 on the way from ebay for $350 shipped.

Coopscoop's gear list:Coopscoop's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6
fysloc
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
In reply to NexOffender, Dec 10, 2013

Dang, now you guys are making me think I should look on ebay now. I was avoiding ebay because it's almost christmas and bidwards go on to get the present before christmas time. 
I have a pretty small and "not great" collection compared to all of you guys, with the 19mm+30mm sigma, 1650pz, and sel 55-210.
Covers my ranges, but night performance is abysmal.

Dirk W
Like?
In reply to fysloc, Dec 10, 2013

You could look for the SEL50 1.8, a great lens and very nice for low light. A friend of mine bought it today used for Euro 140 ($190), also one of those steals.

fysloc
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?

Dirk W wrote:

You could look for the SEL50 1.8, a great lens and very nice for low light. A friend of mine bought it today used for Euro 140 ($190), also one of those steals.

I'm just not sure if a 50mm or a 35mm would be more useful for me. Most of my pictures are landscape in the wide range, test shots trying out settings to see their effect, or hockey games and airshows. Will be going travelling soon so was hoping to pick up something decent before then.

seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,881Gear list
Like?

The Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 is a prime candidate to fall in price I reckon. This weekend a used camera equipment store I check regularly had 3 lined up for sale. It's rare to see even one there.

I suspect the reason is their ex-owners now own an A7(r) + 35mm f/2.8.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 3,899Gear list
Like?

Yup - if you are happy with a certain IQ/sensor-size level, always stick with it!  Moving up is only when you constantly feel you are pushing the limits of what you want out of your images (in ISO noise, DR, DoF, etc), and a M user will know this instinctively, but not everyone realises it until they move up.  Glad to see some really nice 2nd hand bargains... those will only come once!

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +10 more
ZzzooM3
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
In reply to Coopscoop, Dec 10, 2013

Coopscoop wrote:

NexOffender wrote:

I picked up a NEX 6 body at the Sony Rewards website (for Sony Card holders) on sale for $460. Got a new SELP1650 for $165 shippped on ebay and now have a new SEL35f18 on the way from ebay for $350 shipped.

The 35mm f/1.8 is a really good lenses .. on APS-C or FF. Good choice!

ZzzooM3's gear list:ZzzooM3's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha 7 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +8 more
ZzzooM3
Like?
In reply to fysloc, Dec 10, 2013

fysloc wrote:

Dirk W wrote:

I'm just not sure if a 50mm or a 35mm would be more useful for me. Most of my pictures are landscape in the wide range, test shots trying out settings to see their effect, or hockey games and airshows. Will be going travelling soon so was hoping to pick up something decent before then.

The 35mm will be most useful IMO. Your already at a 52.5mm FF equivalent. If you really want wide, you need to get yourself a 10-18mm f/4 which is why you see so many people talking about it.

Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha 7 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +8 more
ZzzooM3
Like?

Dirk W wrote:

What did you pay for the 10-18mm f/4?

abortabort
Senior MemberPosts: 1,309Gear list
Like?
In reply to ZzzooM3, Dec 10, 2013

Its the lead up to Christmas, it has nothing to do with a mass migration to FF. Prices are determined by what the market will pay, during the festive season people aren't that interested in buying second hand (for gifts) and much of their available money is set aside for gifts and other parts of the festive season, not picking themselves up more lenses. So during this time ALL s/h camera gear is cheaper, because you have less people bidding against you (auction) and just less genuine interest (sales) so those figures drop.

It's a great time to buy for sure, but I highly doubt that there is some mass exodus from crop happening that means all crop stuff from now on will be dirt cheap.

I picked up a Canon FF lens for my A7 this week MUCH cheaper than I have seen them go for in the recent past - maybe there is a mass migration from Canon happening as well

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha 7S +44 more
D Williams
Contributing MemberPosts: 681Gear list
Like?
Fine me a .........
In reply to Dirk W, Dec 11, 2013

16-70mm for $700 and I'm on it like a duck on a June bug.

D Williams's gear list:D Williams's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-7 +30 more
Nate Dogg
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?

I'm not sure I'd call it hype, it's here to stay and what I would consider a maturing of the E-Mount system. It's okay to 'believe' in both systems.

For the record, I have an A7, NEX-6, NEX-5N, A77, and A57 -- I will not part with any of them (or the many lenses I've collected). To me they each have their purpose, like any good tool.

-- hide signature --

-Nate

nzmacro
Forum ProPosts: 10,471Gear list
Like?

I might go FF, want to buy my beat up NEX-7 for $4,500 US mate ?? Well, since its you I'll take $250 off the price

All the best to you and the family mate.

Danny.

-- hide signature --
nzmacro
Forum ProPosts: 10,471Gear list
Like?
Re: Fine me a .........
In reply to D Williams, Dec 11, 2013

D Williams wrote:

16-70mm for $700 and I'm on it like a duck on a June bug.

Oh the visions mate, awwww Not sure if I feel sorry for the duck or the June bug !!

Danny

-- hide signature --
Dirk W
Like?
In reply to ZzzooM3, Dec 11, 2013

I paid 500 Euros ($688), which is I think about 100 Euros less than the regular used price here in Europe.

Felice62
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?
In reply to NexOffender, Dec 11, 2013

I don't see anything wrong with that. It's not the first nor last time this happens.

You can buy whatever piece of technology dating a couple of years at a fraction of its street price.

What's the deal here?

I sold at purchase price my nex-6 and purchase the A7 (got a very good price here in Europe) and I am planning to purchase a nex-6 in a month or two.

This is not taking advantage of 'believers' imo

Felice62's gear list:Felice62's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads