Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD Lens for Sony

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,117
Like?
Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD Lens for Sony
7 months ago

I was looking at the ad for this lens on the B&H site and noticed that the VR feature listed in the Nikon and Canon information for this lens is noticeable in it's absence in the ad for the Sony versions.  If their information is accurate then Tamron is once again screwing Sony users by leaving this feature of their version of the lens.  For shorter FL lenses this is not that big of deal as the Sony SS works well, but for a lens this long where a stabilized viewfinder image becomes very important to the user this is a major omission which makes the lens much less desirable then I had previously expected it to be.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Setter Dog
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,606
Like?
Re: Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di USD Lens for Sony
In reply to dlkeller, 7 months ago

dlkeller wrote:

Sony SS works well, but for a lens this long where a stabilized viewfinder image becomes very important to the user this is a major omission which makes the lens much less desirable then I had previously expected it to be.

-- hide signature --

Dave

I agree. I strongly prefer lens stabilization for the stabilized view. I have Sigma 18-250mm lenses on a Canon SL1 and a Sony a77. The Canon is more enjoyable to use at max zoom, strictly because the lens is stabilized. I will never buy another non stabilized long zoom lens.

Jack

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,754
Like?

dlkeller wrote:

I was looking at the ad for this lens on the B&H site and noticed that the VR feature listed in the Nikon and Canon information for this lens is noticeable in it's absence in the ad for the Sony versions. If their information is accurate then Tamron is once again screwing Sony users by leaving this feature of their version of the lens. For shorter FL lenses this is not that big of deal as the Sony SS works well, but for a lens this long where a stabilized viewfinder image becomes very important to the user this is a major omission which makes the lens much less desirable then I had previously expected it to be.

Doesn't bother me.  I have the 500mm mirror and use it hand held and the SSS is effective.

Do I have to hold it steadier because I don't have a stabilised viewfinder image?

I don't know because I don't have an alternative frame of reference but if I am doing then this is probably a good thing anyway.

I do have the Sigma 105 macro with O/S and in theory I ought to prefer the O/S than the SSS at 1:1 magnification but I don't.  So that is another reason why I am not bothered it isn't on the Tamron.

I am seriously considering the Tamron but if I get it I  may also go for a tripod with Wimberley head as I think at an effective 900mm f/l on my A77 hand holding such a lens at max zoom is going to tax either stabilisation mechanism.  I also won't be taking this lens out as a matter of routine as I often do with the 500mm mirror so lugging the tripod is part of the deal.

capt bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,506Gear list
Like?

I have been trying to figure that for a while as well , The General I assume photo of the lens on the Sony ad has the control switch but it is omit in ad copy , Tamron will be leaving sales on the Table with the A7 for it would be the only other choice besides the Bigma for the Non stabilised A7 , Sigma's site for the 50-500 claims OS is not offered for Sony and Pentax but in fact it is , I only hope Tamron / B&H is just not mentioning it as to not confuse potential buyers cause of Sony's  built in SS , I have been checking the site every couple days to see when they post price , one gripe would be is if it is omit on Sony and the Price is the same as Canon/Nikon.

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +22 more
seilerbird666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,101
Like?

I love it when people review an item they have never used and jump to some amazing conclusions.

I have used the Tamron 200-500 for years and it doesn't need any additional image stabilization.

-- hide signature --

My photos:
picasaweb.google.com/seilerbird

brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,470
Like?
In reply to seilerbird666, 7 months ago

seilerbird666 wrote:

I love it when people review an item they have never used and jump to some amazing conclusions.

I have used the Tamron 200-500 for years and it doesn't need any additional image stabilization.

No one is 'reviewing' anything.  Based on the performance of the 200-500 potential buyers are hoping sony isn't excluding in lens os because of the lame 'Well sony already has is in a-mount non-sense.

Sony I believe has shares in tamron and I am sure that is the reason tamron left out lens is* with the new 70-200 2.8 in sony a-mount.  If you read reviews on the tamron or several sigma zooms, lens is* can blow away sony's in camera stabilization.  With  600mm of reach that can be very useful/beneficial/making the difference between a good shot or not.

So while no one 'needs' lens is, it would be a great feature as several lenses have shown consistently and indisputably that it is generally more effective . Not everyone wants ,needs or even can use a tri-pod in many cases either.

thanks-brian

...would be nice to see some recent tamron 200-500 shots from you.*

AlphaTikal
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?

I am considering to buy this too and I don't bother if the stabilisatio. Is in camera or in lens. And I think at 600mm cropped sensor and eith possibly magnification in viewfinder, I wouldn't need a stabilization, as I would use a tripod. But as I said, I have no real experience with this type of super tele lens.
--
· http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackhole_eater/
· (All photos are creative common licensed. Check them out.)
· English is not my native language.

AlphaTikal's gear list:AlphaTikal's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro +11 more
Setter Dog
Like?
In reply to brian14478, 7 months ago

brian14478 wrote:

seilerbird666 wrote:

So while no one 'needs' lens is, it would be a great feature as several lenses have shown consistently and indisputably that it is generally more effective . Not everyone wants ,needs or even can use a tri-pod in many cases either.

thanks-brian

...would be nice to see some recent tamron 200-500 shots from you.*

I agree with Brian. Those who have used long zoom lenses, stabilized and unstabilized, seem to prefer the stabilized lens. For me, It's more enjoyable to shoot with. Whether or not it's better than in camera IS, I wouldn't know. Results from my shooting have been fine with both stabilization systems. It would be nice to have the choice.

Jack

JerryCurtis
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,995Gear list
Like?
A little off-topic: Sigma 105 macro
In reply to Dave Oddie, 7 months ago

Are you enjoying this lens? I have one coming for Christmas, and wondering how others that have used it are finding it...

-- hide signature --

*Jerry*
Sony V1, H5, A350 and A77... Still learning...
'The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.'
-- Dorothea Lange
http://www.pbase.com/icicle50/root
http://www.pbase.com/icicle50/image/88943577/medium.jpg

JerryCurtis's gear list:JerryCurtis's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +9 more
lhkjacky
Regular MemberPosts: 182Gear list
Like?
In reply to Setter Dog, 7 months ago

Agree,

For long tele-lens, In-lens stabilization is more effective than In-body Steady Shot.

The Sigma 70-200 has OS in Sony version.

According to some review, At 200mm, the In-lens OS is about 1 stop better than In-body SS.

and the newly released lens has much better In-lens stabilization than the Sigma's OS.

lhkjacky's gear list:lhkjacky's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +5 more
dlkeller
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,117
Like?

I'm not reviewing, just commenting on the advertising.  I'm glad you are so rock steady, but not all of us are so fortunate and sometimes a tripod just isn't a good solution.  I do have experience with stabilized Canon Binoculars as opposed to non-stabilized ones and know for a fact the stabilized image works a WHOLE LOT BETTER for me.

My real complaint is to the fact that a feature is left off the Sony version of a lens which has it in the CanKon versions and is still sold to us at the same price.  I bought the Tamron 18-270 PZD anyway, but would not buy the longer lens under these conditions unless nothing else was available.  Fortunately Sigma is giving me other options.  I also have the option of jumping systems due to lack of support and affordable lenses by both Sony and 3rd party suppliers, an option that is looking more desirable by both Sony and 3rd party decisions recently.

I would think the NEX users would really be up in arms complaining about this.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Setter Dog
Like?

dlkeller wrote:

I also have the option of jumping systems due to lack of support and affordable lenses by both Sony and 3rd party suppliers, an option that is looking more desirable by both Sony and 3rd party decisions recently.-

Dave

I agree with this thinking. I just ordered a Canon 70D, primarily because the Canon lenses are stabilized. I will keep my Sony a77 for awhile and evaluate the two side by side on which is more fun for me to use. I honestly believe the stabilized lenses will be a big factor in my decision as to which system to go forward with . A large part of my shooting is long zoom and I really value the lens stabilization. Not everyone will agree with me, but that's my take on it.

Jack

Cetonid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,458Gear list
Like?
Same experience with the Sigma 150mm macro.
In reply to Dave Oddie, 7 months ago

The SSS seemed to work better than the lens OS, so I leave it off on the lens. It may be that the lens OS just isn't that good in macro and near macro ranges.

Cetonid's gear list:Cetonid's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony SLT-A77 +11 more
jonzalez
Regular MemberPosts: 147Gear list
Like?
In reply to Setter Dog, 7 months ago

When I'm using any longer tele zoom lenses with the stabilization inside the lens, the most important advantage compared to in body sensor shifting is stabilized view finder picture. At least for me this makes a big difference and it also makes the framing of the shot much easier, especially if and when you are shooting at 500 mm or longer. OS in lens is also usually more powerful than SSS and gives you sharper photos.

It's a big mistake if lens manifactures are continuously leaving the in lens OS system out of the Sony mount lens versions and still asking for the same price for it as Nikon and Canon versions with stabilization. I really can't see myself buying those lenses.

Fortunately there are still some models with OS in lens also for A-mount. I'm quite happy with the Sigma 50-500 OS.

jonzalez's gear list:jonzalez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 Sony SLT-A58 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +2 more
capt bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,506Gear list
Like?

I have the Tamron 200-500 and find it to be a good sharp lens other than the Dorky hood it's a Dandy , I also have the Stabilised Sigma 50-500 and Primarily shoot on the long end with Both , The in body SS works well out to about 400 on the Tammy but in comparison the Sigma in position 1 also stabilises the Viewfinder and does it exceptionally well something in body does not achieve and out past 400 or so it works better at least for me on my 77/99 , I simply would not have purchased the Sigma without OS , Point is if Tamron gives Sony the Stepchild treatment and chooses to leave OS off Just for Sony when they could just as easily include it and charge the same price, I have used the Sigma on my Nex 7 with excellent results I can't do much with the Tamron on the Nex without a Tripod , I have enough gear I carry without "Having to have " a tripod when a flip of the switch would enable a Clear shot , And with the introduction of the A 7/r Tamron would really have something here that is unique in it's the longest Zoom available for the Big 3 and could Please all if they would include their version of OS , Last I checked 500 is not 600 that extra 100 mm will change the effectiveness for in Body SS at that range and I bet substantially . If you were being charged for OS would you be "good" with it if they left it off ?

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +22 more
falconsusi
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?
Tammy 200-500 images HIwassee Wildlife Refuge
In reply to brian14478, 7 months ago

Hand held (by a not so strong girl). Sandhill cranes are migrating through.

f8 420mm jpeg from a77 cropped and sharpened in cs6

f8 500mm jpeg from a77 cropped and sharpened in cs6

After learning to use the tammy 200-500 handheld I am having second thoughts about wanting the 150-600 lens. I think it will be heavier and I won't be able to handhold it like I can this one. And I won't need two lenses so similar in length.

-- hide signature --
brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,470
Like?
Re: Tammy 200-500 images HIwassee Wildlife Refuge
In reply to falconsusi, 7 months ago

They look good.. Thank you for posting.

I  have read many good user reviews and see many great images from the lens.

Thanks-brian

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads