E-M1: Ongoing experience report

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,585
Like?
Re: Simple explanation
In reply to Timur Born, 10 months ago

Timur Born wrote:

The noise I have demonstrated is sensor noise, it has nothing to do with light, as it is the sensor circuits creating "false" information by heating up (thus the longer the exposure the more noise is present). And this whole discussion is too detailed and derailing for this thread where I am just sharing my personal experiences with the E-M1 (vs. E-M5) and thus should be taken to thread specifically discussing just the noise (pattern) stuff.

-- hide signature --

Red flash eyes save lives and eye-sight!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoblastoma

So what is the reasoning behind the colored/chroma Noise? Did they make the EM1 sensor more sensitive or employ different photosites?

And you saying that there is "zero" light reaching the sensor with the lens cap on? Like a black hole?

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark Chan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,706
Like?
Re: E-M1: Ongoing experience report
In reply to LTZ470, 10 months ago

LTZ470 wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

No AA Filter is causing this...

Hmmm. So what's the theory behind how that's happening ??

Open original look at her black coat collar closely…you'll see a similar happening here...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Thats the LACK of AA in operation.

I had something very similar again on a dark but textured coat with my (former) E-5, again noted for its extremeyl weak AA filter; except I do find the 'colour noise' a bit startling; I will have to dig if I can find it.

Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,986
Like?

- Live View can be considerably less sharp/detailed and less contrasty than the final image. This becomes quite visibly apparent when Autoplayback is used right after exposure. Viewfinder framerate and picture settings have no impact on this. To be fair, the same happens on the E-M5, it's just less pronounced with the lesser resolution EVF of the E-M5. This means that playback quality is higher on the E-M1, Live View quality maybe not so much!

- Autoplayback only starts when you fully release the shutter, not when you keep it half-pressed after exposure. This is the same as on the E-M5, I just never noticed consciously.

- The HLD-7 portrait grip makes holding the E-M1 in landscape mode very comfortable for the right hand, but less comfortable for the left hand, unless you grab the camera along its left side. The grip is protruding too much for the left hand to comfortably reach the lens (even the rather large 12-40/2.8). My usual way of supporting the camera from below feels somewhat awkward with the grip, but maybe I just need to get used to it. That dangling metal triangle on the E-M1 gets in the way of the left hand and putting the camera down in portrait orientation.

- Using the HLD-7 grip in portrait mode is less stellar than I hoped for. It makes using the screen as viewfinder feel very nice for the right hand, but once I try to use the viewfinder it feels awkward that you have to lift up the E-M1 that far. Naturally my eye is trying to either go to the position of the arrow keys or AEL/AFL button, while the EVF is positioned too far down (left in landscape) for comfortable portrait shots.

Furthermore I feel that the HLD-7 is too light and too unbalanced toward the (single) battery position. In landscape orientation it adds to the lever of camera + lens + HLD-7 battery pulling down on the left. In portrait orientation it somewhat counters the camera + lens weight, but adding a (FL-600R) flash really pulls heavily on the left. I also don't like the hollow (and thus louder) sound of the control wheels and wish Olympus could have filled the obvious void with a second battery option.

-- hide signature --

Timur Born
Like?

After some comparison I'd say that Live View on the E-M1's viewfinder is less detailed than playback on the "lesser" E-M5's viewfinder. So the increased resolution really doesn't translate so well, except for that "fast" refresh rate doesn't suffer as it does on the E-M5. Still you wouldn't need the higher resolution for Live View, only for playback.

-- hide signature --

Timur Born
Like?
In reply to Timur Born, 9 months ago

- Turns out that the E-M1 + 12-40/2.8 - without portrait grip - fits perfectly into glovebox of my car.

- Even with the extra battery the 12-40/2.8 is still too heavy to keep the camera balanced when it's put down with the portrait grip attached. Best way is to put it down in portrait, albeit the strap triangle get in the way then.

- Judging from a quick and dirty test my copy of 12-40/2.8 seems to be reasonably centered horizontally throughout the focal range. It seems slightly more contrasty towards the upper edge than towards the lower edge, though, which I will have to check more thoroughly once the sun comes out again.

-- hide signature --

Timur Born
Like?
In reply to Timur Born, 9 months ago

- Using "Zoom AF" (fully magnified view) now includes an additional center AF frame *inside* the already magnified area. At x14 magnification this center AF frame is *smaller* than the smallest AF frame you could dial in by any other means! And yes, it works.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads