E-M1: Ongoing experience report

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Iskender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,313
Like?
Re: E-M1: Ongoing experience report
In reply to Timur Born, 10 months ago

Timur Born wrote:

- Blue shadow blinkies are now completely turned off when much of the frame consists of (clipped) shadows. I am not sure why that is a good idea?! If I don't want blue to impede my vision I can always turn blinkies off on the E-M5. Fortunately white highlight blinkies seem to work as before.

[...]

patterns. They also become visible with blue blinkies, which might be the sole (aesthetic?) reason why blue blinkies turn off automatically.

This is absolutely a feature, and one I would likely use (if I needed it, these new sensors are SO much better than the old 12MP chip in my P1).

When I shoot stars/deep sky objects, shadow blinkies will fill up the entire screen, with the exception of a few dots: these will be hard to see due to the blinking. After a certain point it becomes a case of the camera saying that 95%+ of the image is black. It's usually not very helpful. There are no doubt photographers who toggle this on/off daily: it can be pretty crude when things get dark enough.

That said, it sounds like it should be an ON/OFF/AUTO feature. Have you checked if there's a menu setting in the menu catacombs?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Caledonia
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?

Thanks, that matches up with what I have seen on the two cameras as well.  (Looking at your E-M1 exposure, it did occur to me that long E-M1 exposures sans DFS might now be useful as another art mode -- "confetti".) 

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,526
Like?
In reply to Big Ga, 10 months ago

Big Ga wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

No AA Filter is causing this...

Hmmm. So what's the theory behind how that's happening ??

Open original look at her black coat collar closely…you'll see a similar happening here...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,279Gear list
Like?

Thanks a lot for the report, and, please, continue it.

I may add the following experience: in order to improve handling even further, I can recommend the Really Right Stuff base plate (BOEM1). It rectifies the problem that the tripod mount screw is not in the center and it provides an Arca Swiss compatible tripod plate. Additionally, your right hand gets an even better grip, as the small finger now also has a rest (at least on my hand).

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,968
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, 10 months ago

LTZ470 wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Open original look at her black coat collar closely…you'll see a similar happening here...

That's moire you are pointing at. But my shots were done sans light with the lens cap attached. The colorful stars and stripes are not even random noise, as the same pattern comes up in several shots at different settings and even on a different day.

Something about the circuit of that sensor is causing lots of colored vertical and horizontal lines that do *not* seem to simply follow the Bayer pattern of the sensor. There are also single blips and clusters of pattern, but the straight lines strike me the most odd.

Just to mention it: I tested with and with IS to make sure that the sensor shifting around electromagnetically isn't a possible source.

-- hide signature --

Red flash eyes save lives and eye-sight!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinoblastoma

gnewsch
Regular MemberPosts: 475Gear list
Like?

Probably a consequence of on sensor PDAF.

gnewsch's gear list:gnewsch's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +11 more
Timur Born
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, 10 months ago

Thanks for the hint, but I already used my 100 EUR rebate on a HLD-7 grip and my Arca Swiss compatible tripod plates shown earlier help to perfectly center the E-M5 (battery still accessible) and hopefully will do the same with the E-M1 (did not check until I get the new unit).

The RRS ones are very nice, though, and if I ever decide on buying an L plate they will be among my choices. Of course you pay the dollar price in EUR here in Germany.

-- hide signature --

Timur Born
Like?
In reply to gnewsch, 10 months ago

gnewsch wrote:

Probably a consequence of on sensor PDAF.

It happens in all parts of the image, not only within the PDAF area. And the PDAF sensels are just plain normal sensels with a different filter on top as far as I understood.

-- hide signature --

Caledonia
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?

Hmm, that looks to me like moire, and specular highlights.  Nice weave on that coat!

Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,595
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Riiiiiggggggghhhht.

"Nurse .... I've found the one that escaped from the padded room ....."

Timur Born
Like?
Re: E-M1: High ISO comparison
In reply to lester11, 10 months ago

lester11 wrote:

Hi Timur

With my E-M5 I was comfortable with what I saw at 6400 (to give you a baseline), and have been rather surprised to find that I get the same level of comfort on the E-M1 at 12800... Am I just getting more tolerant with age, or do you think the E-M1 has sprinkled a little more magic over its processing? Thanks!

Hi Lester,

I didn't do my own high ISO comparisons yet, but the general consensus seems to be that most of the "new magic" is in the JPG processing, not so much in RAW files. Still every bit is welcome, especially since I often have to revert to high ISO when shooting my moving kids in badly lit indoor situations (grandma really needs to get rid of all that dark brown stuff in her apartment ;)).

-- hide signature --

Timur Born
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, 10 months ago

Sorry, forgot about these earlier:

Bob Tullis wrote:

On the other hand, have you tried it with other than thin gloves? Both exposure dials, even if you can't quite feel them through the gloves, can be operated. I don't recall that possibility on any of the Canon or Oly m4/3 bodies I've been fortunate to own, so I'm rather jazzed for this.

Do you mean the E-M1 or E-M5 wheels? I did not try with gloves on the wheels yet, but I did try to get the lens cap off the 12-40 with gloves and failed.

- IBIS now keeps running for about 1.5 seconds after you release the shutter button. I cannot think of why this is an advantage compared to immediately turning it off (like on the E-M5), but maybe someone here can come up with something?

Could it be related to the short shutter release option?

Hm, if so then they forgot to turn of the 1.5s extra IS when short shutter is disabled, because I didn't enable it yet (was enabled out of the box, though, which showed me that the camera had been out of the box already).

-- hide signature --

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,526
Like?
In reply to Big Ga, 10 months ago

Big Ga wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Riiiiiggggggghhhht.

Lol...actually I'm running it!...and the Nurse works for me...

Have the A7r with me and the RX1 will run a test on those two to verify...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Timur Born
Like?
In reply to Caledonia, 10 months ago

Thanks, that matches up with what I have seen on the two cameras as well.  (Looking at your E-M1 exposure, it did occur to me that long E-M1 exposures sans DFS might now be useful as another art mode -- "confetti".) 

And now things get interesting and this might be worth it's own thread: I got a new unit in exchange for the scratched one and the noise signature is *dramatically* different. Confetti decreased much closer to E-M5 levels, but normal noise increased by something like 2 stops and turned towards violet.

Comparing two black images at same settings from both units reads as 97% underexposure for the confetti image of my first unit, but only 78% for my new unit in RawDigger. Maybe firmware differences, but still very baffling.
--

janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?

How do you press and hold F1 and operate front dial at same time?   i think I saw a reference to this in the manual, and I was stumped as to how to do this..

jan

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Timur Born
Like?
In reply to janeenadamsmartin, 10 months ago

janeenadamsmartin wrote:

How do you press and hold F1 and operate front dial at same time? i think I saw a reference to this in the manual, and I was stumped as to how to do this..

Maybe you mean Fn2 + rear dial to change the current "Multifunction" function?

There are some functions that allow to use the front dial while holding down Fn1, ISO and exposure compensation are examples. With both function if you press the (Fn1) button on its own it will act like an on/off button that you have to press twice, once for on (then change setting) and again for off. But if you keep the button pressed while rotating the front dial then it will turn on during rotation and automatically turn off when you release the button. Quite a clever system.

-- hide signature --

Big Ga
Forum ProPosts: 16,595
Like?

LTZ470 wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

LTZ470 wrote:

Riiiiiggggggghhhht.

Lol...actually I'm running it!...and the Nurse works for me...

I'm saying nothing 

Have the A7r with me and the RX1 will run a test on those two to verify...

Well, just to give you a headsup, the image you posted shows colour artifacting caused by the lack of an AA filter giving issues with correctly resolving small specular highlights. The original issue pointed out by Timur is caused by some other kind of sensor noise.

They may look similar, but one has to be careful that we don't add 2+2 and get 5 !

janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 616Gear list
Like?

I must be dense here, lol.. or else everyone else is very dexterous!   Ok, Fn2 and the rear dial.  I don't get how one can press and hold the button and *at the same time* operate the dial.  I am assuming this is with one hand, the right hand?  Which finger/thumb is doing what?

jan

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Timur Born
Like?
In reply to janeenadamsmartin, 10 months ago

Thumb and index finger in both situations (Fn1 + front, Fn2 + back). Both a bit cramped, because of the close proximities. If you cannot reach these then you could try to set the corresponding functions to the front buttons (beside the lens mount) instead.

-- hide signature --

Bob Petruzzelli
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, 10 months ago

tgutgu wrote:

Thanks a lot for the report, and, please, continue it.

I may add the following experience: in order to improve handling even further, I can recommend the Really Right Stuff base plate (BOEM1). It rectifies the problem that the tripod mount screw is not in the center and it provides an Arca Swiss compatible tripod plate. Additionally, your right hand gets an even better grip, as the small finger now also has a rest (at least on my hand).

-- hide signature --

Thomas

Hi, and thank you for pointing to that plate. I purchased the MC-L: Multi-Camera L-Plate when my OM-D E-M1 first came, but as the tech at RRS told me, it blocks the left side of the camera and I can't hook my remote control to it.

I should have waited and realized that RRS would have a L plate that would work for the E-M1 but my patience was lacking.

Just bought the BOEM1-L Set: Includes Base + L-component which is made for the E-M1... I love their products..

-- hide signature --

Bob

Bob Petruzzelli's gear list:Bob Petruzzelli's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads