D800 shutter dying?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
imAvalanche
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
D800 shutter dying?
11 months ago

Dear All,
I have this D800 with around 140k Shutter actuations, recently i have noticed something weird with the pics..

As you can see at the bottom of the pic there is this bar of darkness, it appears in many photos.. bare in mind that a SB-910 was used.. is this the shutter dying on me?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hugo First
Contributing MemberPosts: 750
Like?
Re: D800 shutter dying?
In reply to imAvalanche, 11 months ago

probably not. check your flash sync speed settings. shutter speed is probably too fast...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
imAvalanche
Like?
In reply to Hugo First, 11 months ago

Hugo First wrote:

probably not. check your flash sync speed settings. shutter speed is probably too fast...

It was shot at 1/160s..

shigzeo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,347Gear list
Like?

imAvalanche wrote:

Hugo First wrote:

It was shot at 1/160s..

It is possible it is just the flickering lights above causing the camera to miss-meter. I've had this happen with a D800/D4 at a basketball game. However, it looks very much like what happens when I accidentally nudge the exposure dial to 1/320. You might get it looked at if it isn't a problem with inconsistent lighting.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,858
Like?

You need to shoot at or below your flash sync speed. Your flash sync speed was probably slower than your shutter speed.

-- hide signature --
Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,630Gear list
Like?
Light source?

imAvalanche wrote:

Hugo First wrote:

It was shot at 1/160s..

You haven't told us much that we need to know.

What was the light source for the example photo?

Does the problem occur consistently?  If not, what conditions seem to cause, or not cause it?

Is it always the lower edge of the image that is darkened?

Does the issue occur in daylight?

-- hide signature --

Qualities possessed by God in infinite proportion: Love, Grace, Power, Righteousness, Wisdom, . . .
Qualities possessed by humans in infinite proportion: Ignorance.
- Marianne

Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,331
Like?

imAvalanche wrote:

Hugo First wrote:

It was shot at 1/160s..

Does it happen with every flash photo? Can you try it with the on-board flash to eliminate hot-shoe timing issues and problems with your Speedlight.

Daniel Bliss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,686Gear list
Like?

Flash firing late, or for longer than the duration of the shutter?  I'd think it's firing late, if you have 1/160th as stated.

iwannabesedated
Senior MemberPosts: 1,034Gear list
Like?

imAvalanche wrote:

Dear All,
I have this D800 with around 140k Shutter actuations, recently i have noticed something weird with the pics..

As you can see at the bottom of the pic there is this bar of darkness, it appears in many photos.. bare in mind that a SB-910 was used.. is this the shutter dying on me?

Very interesting. Can't say for sure, but I think I may have had the same problem with my D800E. At approximately the same shutter count as you stated (140K), I started seeing dark streaks across the bottom edge of my frames. Sometimes, the streak was fairly faint. Other times, it was quite large and very dark. The problem was evident with several of my lenses, and occurred when I was shooting in broad daylight (i.e., no flash). Over time, the dark streaks got blacker and bigger.

For example, here's the shot associated with shutter actuation 140,791. Note that I was holding the camera in portrait orientation, so the right edge corresponds to what would be the bottom edge in landscape orientation. The streak is quite evident.

I sent my D800E to the Nikon Service Center in Los Angeles with an explanation of the problem and a few sample photos demonstrating the streaking. The camera was nearly 4 months out of warranty, and I was expecting a big bill. To my surprise, Nikon fixed the problem at no charge. I'm away from home and don't have the final repair invoice with me, but here's a snippet from the estimate they emailed me.

The final repair invoice which Nikon shipped back to me with my camera indicated that they had replaced the mirror box (which, I assume, must have been faulty and played some role in creating the dark streaks), along with several other parts, including the rubber grip, and, ugggh, I can't remember what else. They also checked the camera for proper focus alignment, cleaned the sensor, and cleaned out all the dust and dirt that had gotten into the camera (I shoot a lot of beach sports).

Whatever they did, my D800E looked and worked like new - no more dark streaks! And, it's worked fine after several thousand additional shutter clicks. Anyhow, that's my story. I wonder if other D800/E owners are going to have similar experiences. Regards. -iwbs

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 +2 more
Bernard Delley
Regular MemberPosts: 269Gear list
Like?
take the external flash out of the investigation

you might do test shots on a white wall (diffusely reflecting, no gloss) using the built in flash.

Beware of shading, if you are close up, or use a wide angle lens.

The manual flash power settings help to vary the flash duration : highest power (100%) makes longest flash duration. 1/250s shutter speed is the most critical setting.

NormN
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
In reply to iwannabesedated, 11 months ago

Same problem happen to my D800E and NPS called and told me that my camera is waiting for parts and under warranty. My shutter count is also around 140K.

I got a loaner for the time being. I guess that is a known issue to Nikon.

BTW, It is nothing related to the sync speed and flash......

imavalanche, I guess they also change the shutter.Right ?

Norm

imAvalanche
Like?
In reply to NormN, 11 months ago

Hello Everyone..
I went today and shot an engagement session.. what a damn shame :'(
Every single shot had this stupid frame, i tried every single shutter speed from 1" till 1/320*FP

I have even tried using the camera's built in flash.. still the same issue..

my problem is i live in Egypt.. we have no nikon service centers here, and i am pretty sure it is a grey market camera, we never get premium stuff like these in here, i don't even know what to do, i will pay the shop i bought it from a visit and hope for the best
Until then.. my D600 all the time :/

iwannabesedated
Senior MemberPosts: 1,034Gear list
Like?

imAvalanche wrote:

Hello Everyone..
I went today and shot an engagement session.. what a damn shame :'(
Every single shot had this stupid frame, i tried every single shutter speed from 1" till 1/320*FP

That ugly, black, irregularly shaped streak is EXACTLY what I was getting just before I sent my D800E in for repair. My deepest sympathy to you. -iwbs

iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 +2 more
imAvalanche
Like?
In reply to iwannabesedated, 11 months ago

Okay now after receiving it from the local store.. the issue with the black bar is fixed completely.
HOWEVER..

The focusing system is screwed.. the camera is unable to autofocus on anything, no matter what it is or how i am focusing.. i can see it in the viewfinder.. the subject at the focus point is actually out of focus and when i am trying to autofocus the camera keeps hunting..

i guess they screwed something while fixing the mirror :/

Do you think this is an easy task to fix or am i screwed? i will try to get a refund for the camera but it won't be an easy task, at all..

Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,630Gear list
Like?
Who performed the service work?

imAvalanche wrote:

Okay now after receiving it from the local store.. the issue with the black bar is fixed completely.
HOWEVER..

The focusing system is screwed.. the camera is unable to autofocus on anything, no matter what it is or how i am focusing.. i can see it in the viewfinder.. the subject at the focus point is actually out of focus and when i am trying to autofocus the camera keeps hunting..

i guess they screwed something while fixing the mirror :/

Do you think this is an easy task to fix or am i screwed? i will try to get a refund for the camera but it won't be an easy task, at all..

As long as Nikon or an authorized service center - or any reputable independent service center - performed the work, you should have a service warranty.  It's their responsibility to correct the issue they caused.

Sounds like the camera was re-assembled incorrectly.  Don't panic; just stand up for your rights.

-- hide signature --

Qualities possessed by God in infinite proportion: Love, Grace, Power, Righteousness, Wisdom, . . .
Qualities possessed by humans in infinite proportion: Ignorance.
- Marianne

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads