Sharing a little excitement, X-E2

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Sharing a little excitement, X-E2
9 months ago

I finally ordered my X-E2 today with a 27mm lens. B&H and Amazon are applying a $150 discount for the combo. AmazonSmile donates to my favorite animal rescue organization, SOS Rescue in Baton Rouge, so I went that way.

I have spent several nights thinking about it, and I believe I will get enough use from the X-E2 to make it worthwhile. I believe it will be the ultimate family photo machine, and I am looking forward to it. I always keep a camera with me, and this will be much handier than a DSLR. I think the little 27mm will make this the best option around (inch for inch).

Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ThachLy
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?
Re: Sharing a little excitement, X-E2
In reply to Still Image, 9 months ago

Funny I am actually thinking about the exact thing!

I need an X-cam with facial detection and tracking for family & portraits.

I was looking at youtube reviews of the X-M1 and was quite impressed that is has facial tracking plus other A modes that will let me hand over my cam to others to shoot.

I was also checking photozone.com and was quite surprised that the 27mm is actually sharper then the 35mm corner to corner, which is more desirable, I think, in a small group social shot. Photozone gives the 27mm a 'Highly Recommended', wow !

If this is the case I might sell my 35mm and get the 27mm. Yes, yes I know, it takes a lots for me to let go of the 35mm

ThachLy's gear list:ThachLy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pinnacle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,439Gear list
Like?
Excited for you!

I am not a Fuji X user but, I want to congratulate you on your new camera. Have an awesome time taking pictures!

Dan from the M43 forum wishing all of you Fujifilm camera owners happy holidays!

-- hide signature --

Life is good.

pinnacle's gear list:pinnacle's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +6 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,424Gear list
Like?
In reply to ThachLy, 9 months ago

ThachLy wrote:

I was looking at youtube reviews of the X-M1 and was quite impressed that is has facial tracking plus other A modes that will let me hand over my cam to others to shoot.

I was also checking photozone.com and was quite surprised that the 27mm is actually sharper then the 35mm corner to corner, which is more desirable, I think, in a small group social shot. Photozone gives the 27mm a 'Highly Recommended', wow !

If this is the case I might sell my 35mm and get the 27mm. Yes, yes I know, it takes a lots for me to let go of the 35mm

Don't sell your 35, you will regret it. The 27 is a less serious lens, a completely different proposition from the 35. I have both and they are such different characters, both great lenses in their own right though.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to ThachLy, 9 months ago

ThachLy wrote:

If this is your primary camera I suggest you try very hard to keep the 35 as well. I think the 27mm is the better "go anywhere/travel light" option. But you need fast lenses in your bag. I use full frame for that and for telephoto. I ordered the Fuji strictly for the times I don't want a lens larger than a button and a camera heavier than a steak at Texas Roadhouse. In other words, I think if you want to get some serious shallow DOF and you want to do it with your Fuji you will need the fastest lenses available. The 27mm will not do that for you. But from images and reviews I have seen, it does what it does really well.

Mike Carroccio
Regular MemberPosts: 398Gear list
Like?

It might be a little presumptuous of us to tell someone who has and has used the 35mm f1.4 that they can not live without it. Tests do indicate that the 27 is indeed a very good lens, and 1.4 maximum apertures are simply not a "must" for every shooter. The 27 can produce beautiful "out of focus" areas at max aperture. We may forget the importance of "subject to background" distance in this aspect of photography, where we can sometimes get what we are looking for by changing that distance.

Mike Carroccio's gear list:Mike Carroccio's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Still Image wrote:

I finally ordered my X-E2 today with a 27mm lens. B&H and Amazon are applying a $150 discount for the combo. AmazonSmile donates to my favorite animal rescue organization, SOS Rescue in Baton Rouge, so I went that way.

I have spent several nights thinking about it, and I believe I will get enough use from the X-E2 to make it worthwhile. I believe it will be the ultimate family photo machine, and I am looking forward to it. I always keep a camera with me, and this will be much handier than a DSLR. I think the little 27mm will make this the best option around (inch for inch).

Well done, you'll find that you take it many places you would not take the DSLR and for family pix that's invaluable!

Enjoy.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Mike Carroccio, 9 months ago

Mike Carroccio wrote:

It might be a little presumptuous of us to tell someone who has and has used the 35mm f1.4 that they can not live without it. Tests do indicate that the 27 is indeed a very good lens, and 1.4 maximum apertures are simply not a "must" for every shooter. The 27 can produce beautiful "out of focus" areas at max aperture. We may forget the importance of "subject to background" distance in this aspect of photography, where we can sometimes get what we are looking for by changing that distance.

Not wanting to be presumptuous, I'm just saying that if a Fuji X-E2 will be that person's primary system that person is going to need some speed in the bag, and two stops is a lot. Personally, I don't need it. I would use a different system in that situation.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads