A77 Lens Distortion compensation On -> Slow down continuous shooting speed

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
lhkjacky
Regular MemberPosts: 260Gear list
Like?
A77 Lens Distortion compensation On -> Slow down continuous shooting speed
9 months ago

I have just did a simple test on A77

I found that setting the "In-camera Lens Distortion compensation" to AUTO will significantly slow down continuous shooting speed after buffer is full.

For example:

Setting at Jpg(fine), Con. shooting (Hi) 8fps Mode, 95MB/s Card.

Lens Compensation: Distortion "OFF" :

8fps for 3sec, after buffer full -> 4fps

Lens Compensation: Distortion "Auto" :

8fps for 2sec, after buffer full -> 1fps

Lens Compensation: Distortion "OFF" : 8fps for 3sec, after buffer full -> 4fps

Lens Compensation: Distortion "Auto" : 8fps for 2sec, after buffer full -> 1fps

lhkjacky's gear list:lhkjacky's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +9 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,914Gear list
Like?
Re: A77 Lens Distortion compensation On -> Slow down continuous shooting speed
In reply to lhkjacky, 9 months ago

Doesn't surprise me.. it has more work to do.. but its good to know.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?

lhkjacky wrote:

I have just did a simple test on A77

I found that setting the "In-camera Lens Distortion compensation" to AUTO will significantly slow down continuous shooting speed after buffer is full.

For example:

Setting at Jpg(fine), Con. shooting (Hi) 8fps Mode, 95MB/s Card.

Lens Compensation: Distortion "OFF" :

8fps for 3sec, after buffer full -> 4fps

Lens Compensation: Distortion "Auto" :

8fps for 2sec, after buffer full -> 1fps

Lens Compensation: Distortion "OFF" : 8fps for 3sec, after buffer full -> 4fps

Lens Compensation: Distortion "Auto" : 8fps for 2sec, after buffer full -> 1fps

Thanks for sharing this.

Not surprisingly, but what's the need to "compensate distortion" when using burst trigger?

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
lhkjacky
Like?
In reply to Michel J, 9 months ago

I did this test because I suddenly find that the continuous shooting rate is slower than before.

and I remember that the A77 should able to keep shooting at 3fps fine jpg without slow down.

First I thought it was my card problem,

Then after changing every setting in the camera, I found out that it was the Lens Distortion compensation set to "Auto" which default is "Off".

The dpreview's review said that set the Lens Distortion compensation On won't affect the continuous shooting speed, but I found out that it does slow down from 4fps to 1.5fps after buffer is full.

So I have to turn the Lens Distortion compensation "Off" next time, when I want to shoot at higher frame rate.

Ricoh GR Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +9 more
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,399Gear list
Like?

While I haven't seen anybody test in as much detail as you did on this subject, this is nothing new and has been discussed in this forum before (as well as some other forums). Shortly after the A77 was released, people were noticing a loss in performance when lens corrections were turned on, even when shooting just RAW.

Apparently, even if shooting RAW the camera will store the calculations of the lens corrections in the meta data so that Sony's IDC can apply the lens correction in its editor. Lightroom and most other editors don't read this data or have their own lens corrections, so it was useless.

Disabling the lens corrections restored performance to the camera that people were expecting. Since I shoot RAW only, I always leave the lens corrections within the camera disabled.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,902Gear list
Like?

Interesting but not surprising since lens distortion correction takes up processing time.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
kpenner
Regular MemberPosts: 165Gear list
Like?
In reply to tbcass, 9 months ago

tbcass wrote:

Interesting but not surprising since lens distortion correction takes up processing time.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.

Can you share the firmware you're using?

kpenner's gear list:kpenner's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sigma 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 +3 more
Michel J
Like?
Lenses without distortion doesn't require compensation

lhkjacky wrote:

I did this test because I suddenly find that the continuous shooting rate is slower than before.

You can't write "before" since you had never ever tested that with an increased speed, "before" (and with the same settings, accordingly).

and I remember that the A77 should able to keep shooting at 3fps fine jpg without slow down.

First I thought it was my card problem,

Then after changing every setting in the camera, I found out that it was the Lens Distortion compensation set to "Auto" which default is "Off".

The dpreview's review said that set the Lens Distortion compensation On won't affect the continuous shooting speed, but I found out that it does slow down from 4fps to 1.5fps after buffer is full.

Again, if I shot sport (or something) all my attention is focused on the action, not on a supposed distortion, what I don't care, since I prioritize all the camera performance accordingly. And as other folks wrote, you can shot RAW and doing it in PP.

So I have to turn the Lens Distortion compensation "Off" next time, when I want to shoot at higher frame rate.

You can also use that kind of "macro lenses", who dosen't have noticable distortion.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
JerryCurtis
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,996Gear list
Like?
Solution

It seems to me, that IDC has the lens distortion data stored in it, so doesn't depend on its being in the file. If you shoot RAW with the lens correction set to OFF, and open the file in IDC, you still have the option of applying the lens distortion correction there, and you can see it happening as you click it on and off in IDC. Whether this is as accurate as doing it in the camera or not, I have no idea, but you can see the change happening in IDC.

P.S. I just gave this another try, and it works flawlessly with my A77 and 16-50 2.8 lens, At 16mm, the shot had glaring barrel distortion, yet, even with the distortion correction set to OFF in the camera, when I imported the RAW into IDC and selected Distortion Correction ON, all barrel distortion was corrected. I even imported the file into my editing software (PSPX6) and overlaid a very fine grid, and all lines were perfectly straight. So it definitely works. I tried it with my Sigma 50mm 1.4, but to no avail. Obviously this only works with Sony (or supported Minolta) lenses.

-- hide signature --

*Jerry*
Sony V1, H5, A350 and A77... Still learning...
'The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.'
-- Dorothea Lange
http://www.pbase.com/icicle50/root
http://www.pbase.com/icicle50/image/88943577/medium.jpg

JerryCurtis's gear list:JerryCurtis's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +9 more
lhkjacky
Like?
Re: Lenses without distortion doesn't require compensation
In reply to Michel J, 9 months ago

I usually shoot Raw+Jpg at single shooting mode, so I just set all the lens compensation to AUTO. 

I agree that I do not care much about lens distortion when I shoot sport.

and I would choose to disable it if I knew it sacrifice frame rate.

It totally make sense that Lens compensation does need more computation time, but according to DPreview, it won't affect continuous shooting speed.

Lens distortion compensation:

This feature is not enabled by default and we imagine most people will choose to enabled it as there is really no noticeable detriment to overall image quality or continuous shooting speed.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/13

There are 3 kinds of lens compensation in the camera , Shade, CA and Distortion.

After a few test, I found that only Lens Distortion compensation will affect the shooting speed.

It is not a big discovery, but I just want to share my test result and hope it may useful for some.

Michel J
Like?
Re: Lenses without distortion doesn't require compensation

lhkjacky wrote:

I usually shoot Raw+Jpg at single shooting mode, so I just set all the lens compensation to AUTO.

I agree that I do not care much about lens distortion when I shoot sport.

and I would choose to disable it if I knew it sacrifice frame rate.

It totally make sense that Lens compensation does need more computation time, but according to DPreview, it won't affect continuous shooting speed.

DPreview, or writers? It's me or this is not the first time that there are something missing? :-))

Lens distortion compensation:

This feature is not enabled by default and we imagine most people will choose to enabled it as there is really no noticeable detriment to overall image quality or continuous shooting speed.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyslta77/13

There are 3 kinds of lens compensation in the camera , Shade, CA and Distortion.

After a few test, I found that only Lens Distortion compensation will affect the shooting speed.

It is not a big discovery, but I just want to share my test result and hope it may useful for some.

I give my opinion, but in the other hand I just realized that I enabled all three (lol) So, you do a good job, thanks for sharing, again.

Regards,
--
Michel J

mmhendrie
Regular MemberPosts: 415
Like?

i thought the a77 got more then 8fps on high - more like 10 or 12, no?

-- hide signature --

www.wingedwarriors.co.uk

VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,399Gear list
Like?
In reply to mmhendrie, 9 months ago

mmhendrie wrote:

i thought the a77 got more then 8fps on high - more like 10 or 12, no?

-- hide signature --

www.wingedwarriors.co.uk

Lo (Continuous Lo) is 3 FPS, High (Continuous Hi) is 8 FPS, then there is Continuous Advance Priority AE that is 12 FPS.

The 12 FPS setting is its own option on the dial and is not an option in any other mode.  In the rest of the modes you only have Lo and Hi as described above.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
DannsTheMan
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?

Useful information!  Thanks for testing and sharing!

Big smiles,

Andy.

DannsTheMan's gear list:DannsTheMan's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM
Ricky85
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
In reply to tbcass, 9 months ago

tbcass wrote:

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------

No processing time for lens distortion correction with A58

Ricky85's gear list:Ricky85's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II
RichV
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,917Gear list
Like?

Sony cameras seem to slow down if you look at them cross-eyed (old expression), so when I shoot for speed I make sure every "extra feature" is disabled. I'd love to see camera manufacturers post the camera speeds with all recommended extras enabled (and I'd love to see Sony solve the processing/heat problems and beef things up).

-- hide signature --

Rich

RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 50mm F1.4 +6 more
Vikas Rana
Contributing MemberPosts: 805Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ricky85, 9 months ago

Ricky85 wrote:

No processing time for lens distortion correction with A58

Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads