Lunch Time

Started 9 months ago | Photos
tree11b
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?
Lunch Time
9 months ago

We had our first "decent" snow today. It's stopped now, and I've got the shoveling finished. But while eating lunch, I noticed that the birds have finally discovered the new bird feeder. This little guy had it all to himself.

I'm posting two images, the first is straight out of the camera. The second had some noise reduction applied using Noiseware. Which do you think is better? I can't decided and would like a few opinions.

Lunch Time (original)

Lunch Time (w/noise reduction)

-- hide signature --

Jim

tree11b's gear list:tree11b's gear list
Canon PowerShot A530 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 FastStone Image Viewer
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Jerry045
Senior MemberPosts: 3,798Gear list
Like?
Re: Lunch Time
In reply to tree11b, 9 months ago

Jim:

I could not see any difference between those two shots on my monitor with my aging eyes.

The only thing I would possibly suggest, if at all possible would be to get a little more detail on the bird. It's dark feathers make getting more detail really tough, but as it stands, the bird sort of looks like a very uniform dark shape. Maybe tweaking with a little HDR might work. Anyway, you asked for comments, and that was all I could think of.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/av8tor045
Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
danielsonkin
Forum ProPosts: 11,369Gear list
Like?

I agree with Jerry, the difference is very minor. The noise-reduced version is a bit smoother, but it doesn't make the photo more pleasant, just a tiny different (smoother) if looking at pixels. Nice captture, Jim,

Daniel

danielsonkin's gear list:danielsonkin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 +2 more
Gary Waugh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,292
Like?

The little guy appears to be a Dark-eyed Junco.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

tree11b
Contributing MemberPosts: 551Gear list
Like?

Thank's guys, I didn't see much difference either. The second is a little softer. I was tempted to use the HDR setting on the ZS15, but decided against it. That little critter was jumping all over the place and I figured even with the burst, it would still be blurry. I could have lightened the shadows a bit, but I wanted to keep post processing as simple as possible. Here it is lightened a bit using FastStone.

-- hide signature --

Jim

tree11b's gear list:tree11b's gear list
Canon PowerShot A530 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 FastStone Image Viewer
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 13,176
Like?

I'm with Jerry & Daniel.

It seems a bit dark to me (my possible datk monitor may add to that)

Here's 50% "Lighten Shadows in PSE8 (pretty high amount !) and some Unsharp Mask:

Yeah, I agree that HDR might be difficult with a moving bird!

-- hide signature --

"Measure wealth not by things you have but by things for which you would not take money"
www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Jerry045
Senior MemberPosts: 3,798Gear list
Like?

Jim:

I think the lightening definitely brought out more detail around the bird's head and shoulders (if birds have shoulders).

My thoughts lean toward making the subject (in this case the bird) look as good as possible at the expense of the rest of the scene if that is the result.

The other thought, (and this is a taste issue and not a criticism) is if I did that shot, I thnk I would have filled the frame a bit more with the bird. But you need to tweak the photo so it looks best to you, not anybody else.

Please forgive my playing with your photo.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/av8tor045
Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 +8 more
ysal
Senior MemberPosts: 6,826
Like?

Difficult shot, dark bird in limited light.  I think it came out pretty good.  Like the background very much.

-- hide signature --

yuki

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads