What cases are you using for your Sony RX100?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
BansheeOne80
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
What cases are you using for your Sony RX100?
8 months ago

Hi,

I am about to buy a slim case to my Sony RX100 but have a hard time finding one.

I have tested two cases, the Sony original and a Hama case

In the store I did think that the Hama case was smaller then the orignal but it really aren´t. With the camera in the hama case it is slightly thicker then the original as you can see on the photos.

The fit is however really good with both of them.

The Hama cost about $12 and the orignal $73.

Maby this will be a better buy for me?

www.ebay.com

Do you got any of these cases? What do you think? Do you got another case that you think would fit me need?

BestRegards

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
h2odog
Regular MemberPosts: 359Gear list
Like?
Re: What cases are you using for your Sony RX100?
In reply to BansheeOne80, 8 months ago

http://optechusa.com/soft-pouch-snappeez.html

Great case, about $10. Wide Horizontal Large version fits the RX100/100II perfectly. Has a magnetic flap closure. Easy in and out. It can be used with a belt as well.

h2odog's gear list:h2odog's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Geary
Regular MemberPosts: 319Gear list
Like?

I'm using this Kodak hard case with my RX100M2:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J8ZF92/

It's the same case I used with my Canon S95. It just has room for the camera and a white balance card. It's a very solid case and would easily protect the camera from a drop onto hard concrete.

The one thing I don't like about it is the bulky belt clip. As often as not, I want to put it a cargo pants pocket, and the clip just gets in the way. Other than that, it works great.

Michael Geary's gear list:Michael Geary's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX100 II Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
BansheeOne80
Like?
In reply to h2odog, 8 months ago

h2odog wrote:

http://optechusa.com/soft-pouch-snappeez.html

Great case, about $10. Wide Horizontal Large version fits the RX100/100II perfectly. Has a magnetic flap closure. Easy in and out. It can be used with a belt as well.

Thanks, but it looks like to have big gaps where dirt kan get in to the camera. Do not really like the color but thats not important.

BansheeOne80
Like?
In reply to Michael Geary, 8 months ago

Michael Geary wrote:

I'm using this Kodak hard case with my RX100M2:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002J8ZF92/

It's the same case I used with my Canon S95. It just has room for the camera and a white balance card. It's a very solid case and would easily protect the camera from a drop onto hard concrete.

The one thing I don't like about it is the bulky belt clip. As often as not, I want to put it a cargo pants pocket, and the clip just gets in the way. Other than that, it works great.

Thanks, I have looked at simular cases but there is 2 problems.

1. There is a bigger risk of getting scratches from the zipper
  2. It takes a lot more work and time to get the camera ready tho shoot with. This is really important specially when you have kids.
ahmami
Senior MemberPosts: 1,371
Like?

I am using one of the Sony zip-up cases as the original leather version was not available from the store. Am on the lookout for a nice leather case.

-- hide signature --
Afterhourz
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to BansheeOne80, 7 months ago

Which case did you end up purchasing for your RX100?

BansheeOne80
Like?
In reply to Afterhourz, 7 months ago

I ended up with the Sony RX100M2 instead and the original Sony case(that looks like the one to RX100M1).

I do however not like it vary much. When the top cover is off there is no good way of setting it on the desk. It is possible but its everything but stable. It is possible to place the camera upside down in a stable way when the top cover is on but when that is on you could as well place it on its back.

The problem is to find a slim regular bag for the camera that are easy and fast to use.

pocoloco
Regular MemberPosts: 464Gear list
Like?

I use the sony case. Advantages:

- you can charge it while the camera is in te case

- you can use a tripod while the camera is in the case ( top half flips open or completely removable, case has screw for tripod)

- you can use it as a half case

- fast access to camera, loosen the top, flip backwards/forwards, ready for usage, no need to completely remove the camera from a softcase, grip the camera (where do you leave your softcase???), etc.....

- it feels like it offers more protection then a softcase

- looks better ( to me )

Of course the drawback is the price!

pocoloco's gear list:pocoloco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +8 more
Juan T.
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
In reply to pocoloco, 7 months ago

My requirement in a case was a sturdy metal belt clip so I can easily take it on and off and not require a belt.  I am using the RipOffs case.   I have a few of their other products and have always been please.  The case in the thread below is what I bought and its perfect for my needs although it may not be as low profile as some would like.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42006467

Juan T.'s gear list:Juan T.'s gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,347Gear list
Like?

As I experiment with many features of my "new" RX 100 ii and an extra accessory. I have the Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 5. Holds the camera with the battery charger or the external Sony microphone in its own pouch, extra battery.

The Lowepro Geneva 30 bag was one item that came Free with the purchase/kit along with a memory card which I dod not open in case of needed return as I work with the camera.

Either way that Think Tank MM 5, should also work with my Fuji X20, so that I'll keep.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
hapster
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,005Gear list
Like?
Using the Original Sony

case...

Like that its a half case when you take the top off. Really like that I sling around my body and the camera stays out of the way under my arm when not in use.

Having to take it off to get at the battery and card is a pain to some; but I don't mind it. With a 64GB card, I can take a lot of pictures before I really need to swap LOL

hapster's gear list:hapster's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
BansheeOne80
Like?

But you will have to remove the top cover to manage to open the door right? So then it is not really that big of a +.

- you can use a tripod while the camera is in the case ( top half flips open or completely removable, case has screw for tripod)

Yes but why is this a good thing? If you would just have the camera in a regular case you would take it our and mount it. Now you take off the top to mount and use it so what is really the diffrence?

Yes, but again, to what point? yes it might give you a better grip but its also mor bulki so if you would need to put it down your pocket temporarly it would be a pain.

- fast access to camera, loosen the top, flip backwards/forwards, ready for usage, no need to completely remove the camera from a softcase, grip the camera (where do you leave your softcase???), etc.....

Yes, this is a good point but you have to think how you are handling the camera and in what parts of the case you can hold on to when the buttons if off. To remove a camera from a regular case would not be hard but the disadvantage is that you end upp with a camera in one hand and the case in one and this might not always be good.

But it downt, there is big holes where dirt and water might come on.

- looks better ( to me )

If you want your camera to look old and retro I agree. But I want a modern looking camera in slim package and the orgininal case is net even close to that. I think that the camera without the case is really nice looking and its lovely to handle, it really feels like a compact camera. As soon as the Sony Original case is on it is not really a compact camera anymore and this is the biggest problem for me. I buy a compact camera and this camera is really on the ege already, with the bulky case it becomes to big to count as a compact camera to me.

So for me, the biggest problems is

- With the case, the camera is no longer a compact camera

- It is not simple to just place the camera on the desk without the top part off.

BansheeOne80
Like?
Re: Using the Original Sony
In reply to hapster, 7 months ago

Like that its a half case when you take the top off. Really like that I sling around my body and the camera stays out of the way under my arm when not in use.

This is a good point and its a plus for this case. Its a old and retro way of handling the camera but in the same time a vary good and easy way. I have however not found me using this way yet and I would probably have a problem to have it located under my arm without the top cover on.

Having to take it off to get at the battery and card is a pain to some; but I don't mind it. With a 64GB card, I can take a lot of pictures before I really need to swap LOL

I am not storing photos in raw yet but I dont see any problem to just buy a bigger card as you say. I am never using my camera that much so I have to swap battery.

BansheeOne80
Like?
In reply to Juan T., 7 months ago

My requirement in a case was a sturdy metal belt clip so I can easily take it on and off and not require a belt. I am using the RipOffs case. I have a few of their other products and have always been please. The case in the thread below is what I bought and its perfect for my needs although it may not be as low profile as some would like.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/42006467

I really dont like to have the camera placed in my belt, its just to bulky and to not look nice. This is a compact camera and if there is no space in my pocket for the camera, then it is not a compact camera.

The case you suggest looks to be a bit bigger then the one Im linkin to in my first post. But is, it got a metal strap that would be better if you use it in a belt.

In fact, I would rather have the original case hanging from my neck. Best is however still a regular pants pocket if the camera is in fact compact.

BansheeOne80
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 7 months ago

The Lowepro Geneva 30 bag was one item that came Free with the purchase/kit along with a memory card which I dod not open in case of needed return as I work with the camera.

I never liked zipper on a camera case, it just feels like the zipper could scratch the camera to easy. The product that supose to hold the camera safe should not be able to scratch it.

HansV
Contributing MemberPosts: 563Gear list
Like?

I use the original Sony case because it is very compact and easy to open. I can hang it over my shoulder for quick access (open or closed). I often remove the cover and put it in my pocket when walking around and shooting. I put it back on when I don't use the camera or when I put it in my pocket.

The case looks a bit retro but I can live with that.

-- hide signature --

Hans

HansV's gear list:HansV's gear list
Sony RX100 II
pocoloco
Like?

BansheeOne80 wrote:

But you will have to remove the top cover to manage to open the door right? So then it is not really that big of a +.

Nope, you don't, there is an opening specifically for that pupose. Drawback : holes in the case ( see below).

Yes but why is this a good thing? If you would just have the camera in a regular case you would take it our and mount it. Now you take off the top to mount and use it so what is really the diffrence?

Part of the camera still protected while on tripod. You can mount tge camera while on the tripod fully protected, encased and only remove top cover when you want to make the image ( maybe during a drizzle, fog, you longer protect your camera while still set up everything)... you don't have to stuff your softcase away sonewhere, camera and case almost have become one ( if that suits you ). And it protects the screw in the camera body against wear and tear.

Yes, but again, to what point? yes it might give you a better grip but its also mor bulki so if you would need to put it down your pocket temporarly it would be a pain.

The half case has shoulder straps so you can sling it around you neck/ shoulder, carry the camera like this, 100% ready to shoot immediately when you need it. Much preferred by many streetshooters. Even with the too civer n, just flip it back and ready! Of course, you can't put it in your pocket, but do you put your camera with the softcase into your pocket? Hmmmm....

Yes, this is a good point but you have to think how you are handling the camera and in what parts of the case you can hold on to when the buttons if off. To remove a camera from a regular case would not be hard but the disadvantage is that you end upp with a camera in one hand and the case in one and this might not always be good.

But it downt, there is big holes where dirt and water might come on.

Agree. It does not fully protect against water / dust. I also do not  have the feeling most softcovers are really waterproof, but at least there are no holes.

- looks better ( to me )

If you want your camera to look old and retro I agree. But I want a modern looking camera in slim package and the orgininal case is net even close to that. I think that the camera without the case is really nice looking and its lovely to handle, it really feels like a compact camera. As soon as the Sony Original case is on it is not really a compact camera anymore and this is the biggest problem for me. I buy a compact camera and this camera is really on the ege already, with the bulky case it becomes to big to count as a compact camera to me.

The case fits tightly like a second skin. I have yet to find a case with a smaller footprint. And we were comparing covers / cases.

- It is not simple to just place the camera on the desk without the top part off.

Don't understand this one. It is on my desk right now, fully encased, please explain your need/ problem. If you mean it is hard/ impossible to put it standing upright on your desk while encased ( or half encased), you are correct, but what is the problem with that? Limited amount of desk space? When you have the camera in any other case, we are comparing cases, is it then a problem for you? Can you make it stand up on your desk in a softcase? To what purpose?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 +8 more
BansheeOne80
Like?

pocoloco wrote:

BansheeOne80 wrote:

Nope, you don't, there is an opening specifically for that pupose. Drawback : holes in the case ( see below).

Yes there is but if the door to the port is fully closed you will have a hard time opening it with the top cover on. You have to use your nail or somthing other sharp to get the door open and this is not possible with the top cover on.

Part of the camera still protected while on tripod. You can mount tge camera while on the tripod fully protected, encased and only remove top cover when you want to make the image ( maybe during a drizzle, fog, you longer protect your camera while still set up everything)... you don't have to stuff your softcase away sonewhere, camera and case almost have become one ( if that suits you ). And it protects the screw in the camera body against wear and tear.

Yes but I don´t see the point of having it protected while on a tripod? Im not sure that its always simple to remove the top cover while mounted on a tripod

The half case has shoulder straps so you can sling it around you neck/ shoulder, carry the camera like this, 100% ready to shoot immediately when you need it. Much preferred by many streetshooters. Even with the too civer n, just flip it back and ready! Of course, you can't put it in your pocket, but do you put your camera with the softcase into your pocket? Hmmmm....

Yes you got a point there, even with a softcase this camera is at the ege to large to put in a regular pocket. The only way to get this camera compact is to use no case at all.

- looks better ( to me )

The case fits tightly like a second skin. I have yet to find a case with a smaller footprint. And we were comparing covers / cases.

No you are probably right about this.

Don't understand this one. It is on my desk right now, fully encased, please explain your need/ problem. If you mean it is hard/ impossible to put it standing upright on your desk while encased ( or half encased), you are correct, but what is the problem with that? Limited amount of desk space? When you have the camera in any other case, we are comparing cases, is it then a problem for you? Can you make it stand up on your desk in a softcase? To what purpose?

If you remove the stop cover you will have a hard time setting it down on a table. The screw will make it vary unstable. It is not possible to remove the screw(and only use it with the tripod) becouse its holding the camera to the case. This is the biggest drawback about this case and its a big one.

pocoloco
Like?

BansheeOne80 wrote:

pocoloco wrote:

BansheeOne80 wrote:

Yes there is but if the door to the port is fully closed you will have a hard time opening it with the top cover on. You have to use your nail or somthing other sharp to get the door open and this is not possible with the top cover on.

You'll have to explain to me how it is impossible, because I ( and probably everyone who ownes this case ) have no trouble charching the camera while fully encased.

Yes but I don´t see the point of having it protected while on a tripod? Im not sure that its always simple to remove the top cover while mounted on a tripod

I can have the camera fully protected against the elements, bumps etc right up untill the moment i want to take the shot, and still have everything setup. And protect my camara screw against wear and tear. Yes, it is simple.

Yes you got a point there, even with a softcase this camera is at the ege to large to put in a regular pocket. The only way to get this camera compact is to use no case at all.

- looks better ( to me )

No you are probably right about this.

If you remove the stop cover you will have a hard time setting it down on a table. The screw will make it vary unstable. It is not possible to remove the screw(and only use it with the tripod) becouse its holding the camera to the case. This is the biggest drawback about this case and its a big one.

What is the problem if it lays on its back instead up standing upright??? I don't see the problem. And... Good luck balancing it upright whilst in a soft cover

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads