Optical Zoom FZ200

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
bkushner
Contributing MemberPosts: 524
Like?
Optical Zoom FZ200
7 months ago

Is there a way to turn off Optical Zoom in IA Mode? I could in the FZ-150 but don't see how in the FZ-200 - thanks

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 3,303Gear list
Like?
Re: Optical Zoom FZ200
In reply to bkushner, 7 months ago

bkushner wrote:

Is there a way to turn off Optical Zoom in IA Mode? I could in the FZ-150 but don't see how in the FZ-200 - thanks

-- hide signature --

Hi, are you sure you mean optical zoom? There's no way you can turn it off on either camera, its part of the camera, eg the cameras (FZ150/200) have an optical zoom of 25-600mm.You don't have to use the zoom, that is don't operate the zoom lever.

If you meant "extended optical zoom", you can turn it off simply by setting your picture size and that works in all settings including iA. Just make sure that you have the camera set to 12mp and then you won't get any extended optical zoom. "Digital zoom" and "izoom" are turned on/off in the recording menu.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bkushner
Contributing MemberPosts: 524
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, 7 months ago

Sorry I meant Digital Zoom. Right now in IA it is on the Zoom bar..I was able to remove it in the FZ150

-- hide signature --
cainn24
Senior MemberPosts: 1,630
Like?

bkushner wrote:

Sorry I meant Digital Zoom. Right now in IA it is on the Zoom bar..I was able to remove it in the FZ150

-- hide signature --

Like Roger said, the option to disable it is found in the recording menu. Page 4 to be exact. It's called "i.Resolution". In the sub-menu there are 3 options: "i.ZOOM", "ON" and "OFF".

i.Resolution (Intelligent Resolution) does some JPEG processing designed to improve sharpness and reduce noise without increasing noise. Whether the algorithm really actually enhances IQ or not is a matter of some debate. In any case, it doesn't really do anything that you can't do in PP yourself. The effect is more pronounced when combined with digital zoom, which is exactly what i.Zoom (Intelligent Zoom) is.

So:

i.ZOOM = Intelligent Resolution enabled, Intelligent Zoom enabled

ON = Intelligent Resolution enabled, Intelligent Zoom disabled

OFF = Intelligent Resolution disabled, Intelligent Zoom disabled

kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,194Gear list
Like?

bkushner wrote:

-- hide signature --

No matter what I do I can't get iA mode to go beyond 24X on my FZ200 I can only enable iZoom, Digital Zoom, and/or EZoom outside of iA mode and then I can see the bar showing Optical zoom to 24X, iZoom to 36X, and Digital Zoom to 150X. However, when I switch back to iA mode, it also switched back to 24X optical only.

This is a bit confusing as I would have expected the iA mode to go beyond 24X - and for you it apparently does!

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads