IE 8 vs Chrome

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
gs85739az
Contributing MemberPosts: 651
Like?
IE 8 vs Chrome
8 months ago

Just got an older Dell XPS 4100, ran malwarebytes/superantispyware/ms security essentials,etc.

Deleted everything that showed up...

Cleaned 1/4" of dust off fan intakes,etc.

The PC now runs ok in Chrome, but IE8 is a total lagging disaster!  Deleted IE8 and it went to IE6, still the same lagging beast, re-installed IE8, but geez folks, it's SO slow..

PC is Windows XP SP3 4G RAM 32bit OS?

naturally will not be using IE for anything[if possible]..

any ideas on what to do next?

NOT using this PC for more than surfing/email..but if it was just IE8, I'd throw it in the trash!

ps: have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 psu from an older Dell Inspiron 530, wondering if it might work in this unit?  I get the idea that the "6600 processor" in this unit is only dual core?  Not sure...

Please advise...

-- hide signature --

Gary

Birk Binnard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,685
Like?
Re: IE 8 vs Chrome
In reply to gs85739az, 8 months ago

Get a low-cost 64GB SSD and do a clean install of Windows on the drive.  Then use the PC's current HDD for all software, user data, TEMP, scratch, etc.  Switching the boot device to an SSD is the single biggest performance improvement I've ever come across.

-- hide signature --

Birk Binnard
www.birkbinnard.com/photography;

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,601
Like?

gs85739az wrote:

Just got an older Dell XPS 4100, ran malwarebytes/superantispyware/ms security essentials,etc.

The PC now runs ok in Chrome, but IE8 is a total lagging disaster! Deleted IE8 and it went to IE6, still the same lagging beast, re-installed IE8, but geez folks, it's SO slow..

NOT using this PC for more than surfing/email..but if it was just IE8, I'd throw it in the trash!

ps: have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 psu from an older Dell Inspiron 530, wondering if it might work in this unit? I get the idea that the "6600 processor" in this unit is only dual core? Not sure...

Please advise...

-- hide signature --

Gary

IE8 is three generations old.  The version of Chrome you are running is likely the most recent.  There's little surprise that Chrome is running better.   I'd just stick with Chrome (or Firefox or Opera).

AwkwardSwine
Contributing MemberPosts: 575
Like?
Time to move to Win7 (or higher) and IE11?

Booting your PC will be much faster on Win 8.1 vs XP, and you'll have access to IE11 and 21st century video drivers.  At least move to Win7 as well supported, mainstream OS.

You'll be cut off from Security Patches on XP in April next year, so the clock is ticking.

teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,037Gear list
Like?
Re: Time to move to Win7 (or higher) and IE11?
In reply to AwkwardSwine, 8 months ago

AwkwardSwine wrote:

Booting your PC will be much faster on Win 8.1 vs XP, and you'll have access to IE11 and 21st century video drivers. At least move to Win7 as well supported, mainstream OS.

You'll be cut off from Security Patches on XP in April next year, so the clock is ticking.

I agree IE11 on Win 8.1 is amazingly fast.  I believe there are some browser speed tests to back that up (was the fastest browser out there a few months ago).

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,296
Like?
Re: have you run IE11 long term?
In reply to teseg, 8 months ago

teseg wrote:

I agree IE11 on Win 8.1 is amazingly fast. I believe there are some browser speed tests to back that up (was the fastest browser out there a few months ago).

According to the Tom's Hardware benchmarks done last June, Firefox 22 is the winner with 974 points, followed closely by Chrome 27 with 964 points.

IE10 lags way behind with only 379 points. My IT guys told me not to upgrade from IE9 because 10 has problems.

Did IE11 improve enough to surmount that previous gap?

bananahead
Regular MemberPosts: 256
Like?
Re: have you run IE11 long term?
In reply to CAcreeks, 8 months ago
gs85739az
Like?
In reply to teseg, 8 months ago

teseg wrote:

AwkwardSwine wrote:

Booting your PC will be much faster on Win 8.1 vs XP, and you'll have access to IE11 and 21st century video drivers. At least move to Win7 as well supported, mainstream OS.

I agree IE11 on Win 8.1 is amazingly fast. I believe there are some browser speed tests to back that up (was the fastest browser out there a few months ago).

-- hide signature --

Installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit OS and using Chrome, seems very fast, but can't seem to find IE at all?  It must be there somewhere, not in programs,etc?  Hoping to see if the OS upgrade helped the IE experience?

Was using IE 8 in XP and it was SO dismal..

Please advise...where IE might be now?

Gary

dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,601
Like?

gs85739az wrote:

teseg wrote:

AwkwardSwine wrote:

-- hide signature --

Installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit OS and using Chrome, seems very fast, but can't seem to find IE at all? It must be there somewhere, not in programs,etc? Hoping to see if the OS upgrade helped the IE experience?

Was using IE 8 in XP and it was SO dismal..

Please advise...where IE might be now?

The trick to using Windows 7/8 is search.  Hit your Windows key on your keyboard (or the Start button in 7) and just start typing.

Try a search for "Internet explorer".  Should appear within the first couple letters.

tom graham
Contributing MemberPosts: 784
Like?
In reply to dradam, 8 months ago

Is there a speed test so we can compare IE8, Chrome, Firefox, etc?

I'm running Firefox 12 on a PC with OS W2000, Intel dual core E6850 3ghz, etc.  My  ISP is ATT uverse   And Firefox browser is quick enough for me.  Most sites home pages load in 2-3 sec. Some slow site loads I would blame on the site, or on ATT, or some DNS somewhere. The internet is vastly more complex than most people realize.

Tom

CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,296
Like?
Re: benchmarks? Internet speed?
In reply to tom graham, 8 months ago

tom graham wrote:

Is there a speed test so we can compare IE8, Chrome, Firefox, etc?

The aforementioned Tom's Hardware review, which they repeat from time to time.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/chrome-27-firefox-21-opera-next,3534-12.html

I'm running Firefox 12 on a PC with OS W2000, Intel dual core E6850 3ghz, etc. My ISP is ATT uverse And Firefox browser is quick enough for me. Most sites home pages load in 2-3 sec. Some slow site loads I would blame on the site, or on ATT, or some DNS somewhere. The internet is vastly more complex than most people realize.

OpenDNS might be faster for you. It was for us at home, faster than the DSL service's DNS server anyway.

You might want to update your Firefox, currently at version 26.

bronxbombers4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,366
Like?

gs85739az wrote:

The PC now runs ok in Chrome, but IE8 is a total lagging disaster! Deleted IE8 and it went to IE6, still the same lagging beast, re-installed IE8, but geez folks, it's SO slow..

ps: have a Core 2 Quad Q6600 psu from an older Dell Inspiron 530, wondering if it might work in this unit? I get the idea that the "6600 processor" in this unit is only dual core? Not sure...

Please advise...

-- hide signature --

Gary

I don't know, but if you want to view images, Firefox is way better than either of those since they either do only partial or zero color-management.

gs85739az
Like?
In reply to bronxbombers4, 8 months ago

Never did find IE 10, but was able to download/install IE11...

Will also do the same for FF, nice to have options for web browsers, when one is acting funny, I can use another..

-- hide signature --

Gary

tom graham
Contributing MemberPosts: 784
Like?
Re: benchmarks? Internet speed? Firefox 12
In reply to CAcreeks, 8 months ago

CAcreeks wrote:

You might want to update your Firefox, currently at version 26.

Thanks, but, W2000 supports only Firefox 12!!!!  (Or vice-versa).

BTW, I just love how Firefox puts up a new version every 6 months!!!

Oh, and, been through the "why W2000" thing before.   Well, I do have retail discs for W7 (and DAZ loader).  Maybe in 2014 I'll redo my PC from power supply up???

Tom

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads