The rumour mill - 10-24mm & new "pro" camera

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
R Neuschul
Regular MemberPosts: 415
Like?
The rumour mill - 10-24mm & new "pro" camera
11 months ago

A colleague who runs a camera store in London has [allegedly] been told by a UK Fuji rep that the 10-24 lens has been held back to the end of January so it can be announced at CES at the same time as a new Pro camera. It sounds like a great story; one that certainly fits with Fuji's previous announcements at CES. On the other hand I'm not a great believer in or follower of speculation and rumours.

This gossip brought to you courtesy of a nice cup of coffee and a chat about the recent uptick in sales of s/h analog cameras, film and chemicals amongst younger photographers.

The doctor is now out: the hunting season is open for business ......

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,380Gear list
Like?
Re: The rumour mill - 10-24mm & new "pro" camera
In reply to R Neuschul, 11 months ago

last week a fuji shooter that works at B&H Photo told me the same thing about the 10-24 being delayed, possibly until after the 56mm prime, shifting the order of release. Of course none of this is official but will be by mid-late January

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
R Neuschul
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 11 months ago

>not listening<....>not listening<

out shooting

well I'm not, I'm typing, but YKWIM .....

New Year resolution #1: find more patience.

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?

This is one reason I've been able to resist the temptations of upgrading to an X-E2.  The X-E1 is good enough, post-firmware, that it would take a pretty big leap to make me upgrade.  I expect the next X-Pro camera to leapfrog the X-E2/X100s in terms of technology and features.  Can't wait to see what Fuji is cooking up.

Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 11 months ago

My completely uninformed speculation is that the new 2014 lineup will look like this:

___

New pro level mirrorless body with an X consistent SLR-like form factor.

X-Pro 1S

X-E2

X-M1

X-A1

etc.

___

I'm skeptical that Fuji is cooking an X-Pro 2. It seems to me that they need to move on a more capable cam to compete with the Olympus and Sony models and to a lesser degree the Nikon Df. The X-Pro 1 can last another year or more with an S upgrade. Give it the same spec bump that the X-E2 got and upgrade the OVF as well but keep it largely the same. They need to drop the X-S1 and replace it with something that takes on the A7, OMD em5 and Df head to head. Something consistent with the rest of the X series. That would likely be the rumored weather sealed body sitting above the X-Pro.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,335Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chris G Hughes, 11 months ago

Chris G Hughes wrote:

.... New pro level mirrorless body with an X consistent SLR-like form factor.

I personally would not be surprised if what you say turns out true.

Using myself as an example, the shooting experience moving from DSLR to X-E1 was huge. For months it felt strange and at times uncomfortable.

However, you only have to look over at some of the DSLR forums to see what the negative effects are of having an entire mirror mechanism slamming up against a padded stopper and then smashing down again to slam in to its base stopper every single time you shoot an image. The vibrations can be significant and more pronounced on DSLR's with huge MP's and very fast frame rates. Hence the popularity of 'mirror up' shooting which means you have removed a big chunk of vibration from effecting your image. No such concerns with mirrorless cams of course.

On some odd occasions I still use my old S3 Pro and while I am amazed now at how heavy the darn thing is, there is a sort of "I'm home" feeling about it - not sure how to explain it any other way.

A mirrorless X-Trans sensor in a light DSLR style body is something I would absolutely go for myself, no question about it.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
JYPfoto
Regular MemberPosts: 322Gear list
Like?

R Neuschul wrote:

A colleague who runs a camera store in London has [allegedly] been told by a UK Fuji rep that the 10-24 lens has been held back to the end of January so it can be announced at CES at the same time as a new Pro camera. It sounds like a great story; one that certainly fits with Fuji's previous announcements at CES. On the other hand I'm not a great believer in or follower of speculation and rumours.

This gossip brought to you courtesy of a nice cup of coffee and a chat about the recent uptick in sales of s/h analog cameras, film and chemicals amongst younger photographers.

The doctor is now out: the hunting season is open for business ......

I hope you're right.  There's rumors of a black x100s and a X Pro 1S, in time for CES and Fuji's 80th anniversary.  If that's true, then my CC bill will be massive as I'm probably going to buy both.

JYPfoto's gear list:JYPfoto's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM
abelits
Contributing MemberPosts: 677Gear list
Like?

They better should release something in January, as I can't be the only person who decided not to buy X-E2 until it is clear what is going to be its closest alternative model (like X-E1 became for X-Pro1).

abelits's gear list:abelits's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +10 more
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,759Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 11 months ago

Red5TX wrote:

This is one reason I've been able to resist the temptations of upgrading to an X-E2. The X-E1 is good enough, post-firmware, that it would take a pretty big leap to make me upgrade. I expect the next X-Pro camera to leapfrog the X-E2/X100s in terms of technology and features. Can't wait to see what Fuji is cooking up.

In fairness, the X-E2 is pretty revolutionary in terms of focus speed

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, 11 months ago

The X-E2 is a major upgrade top to bottom.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?

sgoldswo wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

This is one reason I've been able to resist the temptations of upgrading to an X-E2. The X-E1 is good enough, post-firmware, that it would take a pretty big leap to make me upgrade. I expect the next X-Pro camera to leapfrog the X-E2/X100s in terms of technology and features. Can't wait to see what Fuji is cooking up.

I don't doubt it, but I find the X-E1's focus speed to be fine for me for now. I just don't miss many shots because of autofocus.  I'd be more interested in a major EVF upgrade, better bracketing options, flash support, dual memory cards, and even (whisper) an upgrade to 20mp.  But that's me.  I think the X-E2 is a fine camera.  If my X-E1 fell off a cliff, I would happily buy one.  I just don't feel the pull like I know I will if/when a more pro body is released.  So I wait. 

Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,736Gear list
Like?

sgoldswo wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

It sounds like the processing speed is, too. Less, or even no more, waiting for the camera to write before you can do the next thing. That would be a big deal for me. And the EVF sounds better, too. The persistent 1/3-stop shutter settings are great, though I seem to recall they are going to add that to the X-E1 through firmware?

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Big question is whether it will be a different sensor or just a new form factor with better features such as weather sealing...

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

sgoldswo wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

I wouldn't go that far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFUChl0YDz4

hellocrowley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,195
Like?

sgoldswo wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

The term you were looking for is evolutionary.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to hellocrowley, 11 months ago

hellocrowley wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

Red5TX wrote:

The term you were looking for is evolutionary.

Amen

R Neuschul
Like?
In reply to stimpy, 11 months ago

Absolutely so: we need sound evolution from good basic principles. The E1 and Pro established those principles for the interchangeable lens range. Sudden major shifts in tech within that range would probably be disruptive for all sorts of reasons. Although not necessarily a problem in any new range.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

R Neuschul wrote:

Absolutely so: we need sound evolution from good basic principles. The E1 and Pro established those principles for the interchangeable lens range. Sudden major shifts in tech within that range would probably be disruptive for all sorts of reasons. Although not necessarily a problem in any new range.

I think the new X will be something somewhat different - something more DSLR like. Getting DSLR users to 'downgrade' is a bigger market than getting compact users upgrading and a DSLR styled body is less of a transition for them.

Perhaps a classically styled SLR camera will fill that need.

noyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 675Gear list
Like?
Re: The rumour mill - it goes around

This rumour has been around for a wee while including on another website well known for producing rumours. I think it has a ring of truth about it and your experience further fuels that.

However, the problem with rumours is that they go around. The first time you hear it, you think, 'no'. Then a while later you hear it somewhere else so you think, 'maybe'. But the second time all you are hearing is the same as the first but it has been repeated round about and comes back to you from a different source. It sounds more plausible but is just the same one from a different source.

It reminds me of a story where a soldier was responsible to fire the 1 o'clock gun, at a well known tourist attraction, at precisely the right time every day. He always stopped to check his trusty watch at the local jeweller's shop window en route to the firing. This jeweller was fastidious to ensure all the clocks in the display were synchronised to the right time, so the soldier was confident it was exactly right and his fine watch hardly varied over the years.

Upon demob from the army, the solder thought it would be good to thank the shop keeper personally for keeping him right all these years and called in one day. During a pleasant chat the soldier asked the shop keeper how he managed to keep all the time-pieces working together so accurately. The shop keeper replied that it was obviously good marketing to have all the clocks in his display showing the same time and even better if the time was correct. So every day he reset the best one to the 1 o'clock gun and adjusted the rest to match.

Anyway, rumours. They go around.

-- hide signature --

Norman Young
www.noyo.co.uk

noyo's gear list:noyo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-M1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads