Need zoom assist on GH3

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
jgrussell Regular Member • Posts: 107
Need zoom assist on GH3

Assist may be wrong term but I'm looking to find a device that will allow me to adjust zoom on lenses, this case a 45-175 zoom by means of a band attached to a wheel (like the big cameras you see on nTV doing an NFL game) or other solution so i don't have to reach over camera to do so. This is for videoing sports events esp. football where I follow a play going from wide to a close up of a tackle or touchdown etc. It's difficult and not very smooth to use the zoom ring on the lenses.

I tried searching, but I can't seem to find anything, maybe using wrong terminology. I hope I've explained myself properly.

Thanks in advance.

John

 jgrussell's gear list:jgrussell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
arrr
arrr Senior Member • Posts: 1,502
Re: Need zoom assist on GH3

http://www.cavision.com/followfocus/dualmini.htm

I've been looking at that as well. This setup looks like two follow focus systems.

 arrr's gear list:arrr's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
jgrussell OP Regular Member • Posts: 107
Re: Need zoom assist on GH3

found the solution;

www.dfocussystem.com

exactly what I was looking for.

 jgrussell's gear list:jgrussell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 14,925
Which of their products are you looking at? (nt)
1

no text

 Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M5 II +3 more
jgrussell OP Regular Member • Posts: 107
Re: Which of their products are you looking at? (nt)

The D/Zoom with lens gear, the DSLR baseplate with 12" rods. Looks perfect, can't wait to get it for next years sporting events.

http://dfocussystem.com/dzoom

 jgrussell's gear list:jgrussell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
Kawika Nui Contributing Member • Posts: 537
Re: Which of their products are you looking at? (nt)

If it's possible to get the 45-175mm PZ (power zoom) lens, I urge you to do so.  It's easy to hold the camera with the left hand supporting the lens (a fairly common tactic) and the lever is right there.  I do a lot of surf videos with this lens on a GH3, and the results are excellent.  No unwanted camera motion.

arrr
arrr Senior Member • Posts: 1,502
Re: Which of their products are you looking at? (nt)

Kawika Nui wrote:

If it's possible to get the 45-175mm PZ (power zoom) lens, I urge you to do so. It's easy to hold the camera with the left hand supporting the lens (a fairly common tactic) and the lever is right there. I do a lot of surf videos with this lens on a GH3, and the results are excellent. No unwanted camera motion.

With the PZ lens, does it zoom at 1 speed or does it vary by how much pressure you put on switch?

 arrr's gear list:arrr's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
arrr
arrr Senior Member • Posts: 1,502
Re: Which of their products are you looking at? (nt)

arrr wrote:

Kawika Nui wrote:

If it's possible to get the 45-175mm PZ (power zoom) lens, I urge you to do so. It's easy to hold the camera with the left hand supporting the lens (a fairly common tactic) and the lever is right there. I do a lot of surf videos with this lens on a GH3, and the results are excellent. No unwanted camera motion.

With the PZ lens, does it zoom at 1 speed or does it vary by how much pressure you put on switch?

Yes, it's variable.

 arrr's gear list:arrr's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,778
Re: Which of their products are you looking at? (nt)
1

arrr wrote:

With the PZ lens, does it zoom at 1 speed or does it vary by how much pressure you put on switch?

I don't have this lens, but my GH3 has menu items to control the zoom speed of power zoom lenses.   I assume this sort of thing is supported in all of Panasonic cameras which have had firmware updates to deal with the power zooms.

arrr
arrr Senior Member • Posts: 1,502
Re: Which of their products are you looking at? (nt)

Sean Nelson wrote:

arrr wrote:

With the PZ lens, does it zoom at 1 speed or does it vary by how much pressure you put on switch?

I don't have this lens, but my GH3 has menu items to control the zoom speed of power zoom lenses. I assume this sort of thing is supported in all of Panasonic cameras which have had firmware updates to deal with the power zooms.

Thanks Sean, that sounds like it's very useful.

 arrr's gear list:arrr's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D610 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +6 more
jgrussell OP Regular Member • Posts: 107
Re: Which of their products are you looking at? (nt)

The power zoom is nice but not for my situation videoing fast moving sports such as baseball and football, that is why I'm getting the equipment I posted earlier. The power zoom would be appropriate for situations where you need a gradual and smooth zoom between a close up to a distant spot etc.

 jgrussell's gear list:jgrussell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads