Need zoom assist on GH3

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
jgrussell
Regular MemberPosts: 107Gear list
Like?
Need zoom assist on GH3
Dec 10, 2013

Assist may be wrong term but I'm looking to find a device that will allow me to adjust zoom on lenses, this case a 45-175 zoom by means of a band attached to a wheel (like the big cameras you see on nTV doing an NFL game) or other solution so i don't have to reach over camera to do so. This is for videoing sports events esp. football where I follow a play going from wide to a close up of a tackle or touchdown etc. It's difficult and not very smooth to use the zoom ring on the lenses.

I tried searching, but I can't seem to find anything, maybe using wrong terminology. I hope I've explained myself properly.

Thanks in advance.

John

jgrussell's gear list:jgrussell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
arrr
Regular MemberPosts: 439Gear list
Like?
Re: Need zoom assist on GH3
In reply to jgrussell, Dec 10, 2013

http://www.cavision.com/followfocus/dualmini.htm

I've been looking at that as well. This setup looks like two follow focus systems.

arrr's gear list:arrr's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jgrussell
Like?
Re: Need zoom assist on GH3
In reply to jgrussell, Dec 10, 2013

found the solution;

www.dfocussystem.com

exactly what I was looking for.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,327Gear list
Like?
Which of their products are you looking at? (nt)
In reply to jgrussell, Dec 11, 2013

no text

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
jgrussell
Like?
Re: Which of their products are you looking at? (nt)
In reply to Corkcampbell, Dec 11, 2013

The D/Zoom with lens gear, the DSLR baseplate with 12" rods. Looks perfect, can't wait to get it for next years sporting events.

http://dfocussystem.com/dzoom

Kawika Nui
Regular MemberPosts: 368
Like?
In reply to jgrussell, Dec 11, 2013

If it's possible to get the 45-175mm PZ (power zoom) lens, I urge you to do so.  It's easy to hold the camera with the left hand supporting the lens (a fairly common tactic) and the lever is right there.  I do a lot of surf videos with this lens on a GH3, and the results are excellent.  No unwanted camera motion.

arrr
Like?
In reply to Kawika Nui, Dec 11, 2013

Kawika Nui wrote:

If it's possible to get the 45-175mm PZ (power zoom) lens, I urge you to do so. It's easy to hold the camera with the left hand supporting the lens (a fairly common tactic) and the lever is right there. I do a lot of surf videos with this lens on a GH3, and the results are excellent. No unwanted camera motion.

With the PZ lens, does it zoom at 1 speed or does it vary by how much pressure you put on switch?

Nikon D3200 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +7 more
arrr
Like?
In reply to arrr, Dec 12, 2013

arrr wrote:

Kawika Nui wrote:

If it's possible to get the 45-175mm PZ (power zoom) lens, I urge you to do so. It's easy to hold the camera with the left hand supporting the lens (a fairly common tactic) and the lever is right there. I do a lot of surf videos with this lens on a GH3, and the results are excellent. No unwanted camera motion.

With the PZ lens, does it zoom at 1 speed or does it vary by how much pressure you put on switch?

Yes, it's variable.

Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,529
Like?

arrr wrote:

I don't have this lens, but my GH3 has menu items to control the zoom speed of power zoom lenses.   I assume this sort of thing is supported in all of Panasonic cameras which have had firmware updates to deal with the power zooms.

arrr
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, Dec 12, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

arrr wrote:

I don't have this lens, but my GH3 has menu items to control the zoom speed of power zoom lenses. I assume this sort of thing is supported in all of Panasonic cameras which have had firmware updates to deal with the power zooms.

Thanks Sean, that sounds like it's very useful.

jgrussell
Like?

The power zoom is nice but not for my situation videoing fast moving sports such as baseball and football, that is why I'm getting the equipment I posted earlier. The power zoom would be appropriate for situations where you need a gradual and smooth zoom between a close up to a distant spot etc.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads