stellar compact macro for A7r?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
Paul Richman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,093Gear list
Like?
stellar compact macro for A7r?
11 months ago

Any such RF lenses you'd recommend? Would like at least 1:2. Would prefer 1:1. Must have super IQ.
--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Paul Richman's gear list:Paul Richman's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,882Gear list
Like?
Re: stellar compact macro for A7r?
In reply to Paul Richman, 11 months ago

For compact, you will have to settle for shorter FL. Sony's native macro lens is a fee months away. If you have EA3 (or EA4), I would recommend Sigma 105mm/2.8 HSM OS on A-mount.

But of course Zeiss makro planar 100mm would be impressive.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Paul Richman
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 11 months ago

Oseont something much more compact than those.
--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Sony Alpha 7R Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +11 more
Paul Richman
Like?

Oseont something much more compact than those.
--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Those first words should have been " I want ". Cell phone garbling. Sorry.
--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Richt2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,898Gear list
Like?

You could look at the tamron 90mm or if you want small, how about the canon 50mm 1:2
--
Landscape portfolio
http://www.pbase.com/richthompson/rich_thompson___landscapes

Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +9 more
DavieK
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?
In reply to Richt2000, 11 months ago

I'm using the 30mm SAM on LA-EA3. Not only is the SAM excruciatingly sharp on the A7R, it focuses to 1:1, and as a bonus is also cover the full frame as a very acceptable 30mm wide angle with a little vignetting in the extreme corners and hardly any sharpness loss - plus, super straight line geometry. Altogether unexpected.

David

Tuloom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,393
Like?

Paul Richman wrote:

Any such RF lenses you'd recommend? Would like at least 1:2. Would prefer 1:1. Must have super IQ.
--
Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90mm only does 1:3. I'm not aware of any RF lens that does 1:1 or even 1:2 without bellows... or Visoflex... or whatnot? Understandably, rangefinders just aren't a popular macro format.

You can mount any M lens to a Helicoil, though, for close(r) focus. This is a 50 Cron on a Hawk's Helicoil.

Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,577Gear list
Like?

The Elmar 90 Macro, OM 50/35 or 50/2 will probably be the smallest options, another option is diopter or close-up filters.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Paul1974
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lightshow, 11 months ago
Paul Richman
Like?
In reply to Tuloom, 11 months ago

Yes, I'm thinking about the Leica 90mm macro, even though it's only 1:3, and that only with its "goggles".    I'm wondering what kind of magnification I could get with this lens on either a Sony extension tube (to take the place of the "goggles" or with the helicoid.  Any idea?

-- hide signature --

Paul Richman
Pixels By Paul

DavieK
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?
In reply to Tuloom, 11 months ago

Here's my lightweight set-up which uses a Pentax 50mm f/4 macro SMC screw thread (I've used extension tubes before the adaptor stage, but could use the same between the lens and adaptor). This is a relatively small light macro with exceptionally good performance.

Here's the lens reversed on bellows for 3X magnification -

This is the first shot I took with it (using the same studio flash as set up for the product images)

It is the Alpha logo from the 30mm SAM (49mm) lens cap, which I measure up as 0.5 inch here enlarged to 1.5 inch, which makes 3X. The A7R is a versatile camera but of course macro rigs are not a huge problem on any DSLR either - just a whole lot easier in the hands with a Leica-sized body.

David

jpfisher
Regular MemberPosts: 259Gear list
Like?

Rangefinder glass is not known for its macro capability.

Hawk's adapter will provide a more dramatic difference in close focus with wide-angle lenses. Consider a 28mm. But you won't get the perspective that you would with a proper macro.

In the not super compact world, but fairly light and darned inexpensive, the old Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 is a good one. Just be aware that older lenses don't have coatings that modern ones do, so try to avoid backlighting.

With the e-mount you have lots and lots of options for a good 1:1 macro via an adapter. But unfortunately not a lot are rangefinder designs. Maybe Zeiss or Voigtlander will change that given the existence of the A7/A7R and live view M 240? Would certainly be nice, rangefinder coupling to 0.7m, live view after that.
--
Jim

http://www.pcmag.com/reviews/digital-cameras
http://www.daguerreotyping.com

jpfisher's gear list:jpfisher's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M Typ 240 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +26 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads