Driving me to diffraction: tripod heads for Pro1 & E 1/2

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
R Neuschul
Regular MemberPosts: 402
Like?
Driving me to diffraction: tripod heads for Pro1 & E 1/2
10 months ago

OK: I have a range of tripods from basic lightweight ally units via heavier mid-size Benbo all the way up to full-scale heavy-duty studio Gitzos, plus several different tripod heads, some with fluid motion, some being simple ball head. These heads include Manfrotto and Gitzo. One or two - preferred by my wife for her Alpha cameras with longer lenses - are quick release types. However none of these work well with the Fuji bodies thanks to the size of the head itself and - on the camera - the off-axis positioning of the tripod bush and the proximity to it of the battery compartment.

I'm therefore trying to find a quick release head where a] the camera plate does not obstruct the battery cover and b] the plate and the QR head are not designed for a 5/4 or 'blad with a super telephoto attached - i.e. the overall head/plate size is in keeping with the size of the X Pro & E bodies. with lenses up to 55-200mm. I've looked at quite a few and so far I can't find anything suitable.

I'm beginning to think I may have to stick with one of my simple ball heads. Any suggestions?

NB: most usage would be urban outdoor rather than field and hills etc, with some limited indoor "studio" use. Packability [weight/size] is relatively important.

deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,142Gear list
Like?
Re: Driving me to diffraction: tripod heads for Pro1 & E 1/2
In reply to R Neuschul, 10 months ago

R Neuschul wrote:

OK: I have a range of tripods from basic lightweight ally units via heavier mid-size Benbo all the way up to full-scale heavy-duty studio Gitzos, plus several different tripod heads, some with fluid motion, some being simple ball head. These heads include Manfrotto and Gitzo. One or two - preferred by my wife for her Alpha cameras with longer lenses - are quick release types. However none of these work well with the Fuji bodies thanks to the size of the head itself and - on the camera - the off-axis positioning of the tripod bush and the proximity to it of the battery compartment.

I'm therefore trying to find a quick release head where a] the camera plate does not obstruct the battery cover and b] the plate and the QR head are not designed for a 5/4 or 'blad with a super telephoto attached - i.e. the overall head/plate size is in keeping with the size of the X Pro & E bodies. with lenses up to 55-200mm. I've looked at quite a few and so far I can't find anything suitable.

I'm beginning to think I may have to stick with one of my simple ball heads. Any suggestions?

NB: most usage would be urban outdoor rather than field and hills etc, with some limited indoor "studio" use. Packability [weight/size] is relatively important.

I have used RRS ballheads for a number of years now, use the BH-30 with my X-E1:

I have used the BH-25 before and found the head was better than good enough to hold a D800 plus 70-200/2.8 ...

I would have kept the BH-25. nifty little number, but got the BH30 as a present so moved on. The BH-25 with quick release and L-bracket for the Fuji work really, really well, pricey, but hey, life is short. A delight to use!

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BH-25-LR&type=3&eq=&desc=BH-25-LR%3a-Ultra-light-ballhead-with-LR&key=it

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
R Neuschul
Like?
In reply to deednets, 10 months ago

Thanks; those plates look interesting; first one I've seen that doesn't look like part of a civil engineering project.

hexxthalion
Contributing MemberPosts: 536Gear list
Like?

I have Arca Swiss P0 with standard Arca Swiss quick release. I have cheap L-bracket with grip for X-Pro1 (improves handling considerably with longer lenses), small Arca Swiss camera plate for my other cams (Sigma DP2M, X100 and Mamiya 6) and Markins base camera plate for Hasselblad 501 (I replaced original Hasselblad one with it).

So one Arca Swiss ball head for all my cameras and Feisol tripod, links below:

Ball Head: http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/tripods-and-heads/arca-swiss-monoball-p1-s-with-quickset-device.html

L-Bracket for X-Pro1: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Quick-Release-Plate-Camera-Handle-for-Fujifilm-Fuji-X-PRO1-Tripod-Ballhead-/281100604503

Markins camera plate for Hasselblad: https://www.photoproshop.com/product_info.php/cPath/27_94/products_id/47?osCsid

Small camera plate: http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/tripods-and-heads/arca-swiss-quick-release-small-universal-camera-plate-1-4-with-rubber-top.html

Tripod: http://www.globaltechcommerce.co.uk/feisoluk/25-ct-3442-tournament.html

hexxthalion's gear list:hexxthalion's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
hexxthalion
Contributing MemberPosts: 536Gear list
Like?
In reply to hexxthalion, 10 months ago

ah... can edit only twice...

Forgot to add that longest lens I have for Hassy is 150mm one. This combo of head and tripod is sturdy yet portable (well, I know that Hassy 501 isn't very portable but every weight reduction helps)

hexxthalion's gear list:hexxthalion's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +11 more
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?

R Neuschul wrote:

For years, my lightweight travel setup has consisted of a Slik carbon fiber tripod and a Novoflex Neiger 19P head attached to it. On top is a Novoflex panorama plate and an Arca-Swiss style plate to receive either the camera with L-bracket attached to it (very similar to deednets' setup above, sans the panorama plate), or my panorama setup. The head, as small as it is, has proven to be absolutely adequate for the X-E1/18-55mm zoom combo plus some rails, etc. for panoramas.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
vkphoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,617
Like?
iShoot

Since you already have various tripods I would suggest to go with iShoot quick release/L-bracket (exactly as suggested by hexxthalion in the post above, I bought mine from the same seller). It's worth every penny. Arca Swiss compatible, direct access to battery/memory card, extra grip for FX 55-200, very well made. You can find my detail report on my blog site.

Several other forum members (X-Pro1, XE-1 users) have also reported a very positive feedback.

-- hide signature --
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,377Gear list
Like?
Re: iShoot
In reply to vkphoto, 10 months ago

XE1 with ishoot Grip/L-bracket on Induro CT213 tripod and Induro BHL2 ballhead

iShoot bracket. I used black maker to remove the iShoot logo, and the right side (of photo) can also be unscrewed and removed to use just for handholding with grip

With Wimberley P30 plate to use as a focusing rail for macro

Bottom of iShoot bracket with easy access to battery compartment

Wimberley P30 plate attached to bottom

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Chuck Eklund
Regular MemberPosts: 476Gear list
Like?
Re: iShoot
In reply to vkphoto, 10 months ago

Really Right Stuff believes their camera plate for the X-E2 will ship in two weeks. Because of the size of LCD on the X-E2 it will be slightly different from the plate for X-E1. The attachment to make it an L Bracket is the same for both. The RRS plate for my X-E1 allowed full access to the battery/sd card and I am sure the plate I ordered for the X-E2. I use their BH-40 ball head, although, as mentioned above the 25 or 30 would probably do the job.

Chuck

Chuck Eklund's gear list:Chuck Eklund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +3 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,871Gear list
Like?

Buy the Really Right Stuff products they are fantastic. They have a grip, baseplate and even the "L" part of that for arca swiss set ups or you can buy their product.

I use the RRS grip and base plate for the XE-1 with a flash bracket from Custom bracket. You do not have to use an external flash set up.

The Custom Bracket RF-Pro Rapid Fire is very compact and does cost a few bucks, but is great for the camera bag.

They may have something you are looking for as well to easily solve this, but I have not researched, worth a look though.

One more thing, this bracket accepts camera strap accessories from various manufactures that gives you a rapid way to wear a camera strap with the camera and bracket attached. I have the Black Rapid set up.

http://www.custombrackets.com/products/featured/rf-pro.html

Dave Chilvers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,175Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 10 months ago

I purchased some RRS QR stuff a few tears ago and fitted them to my Manfrotto ball heads, superb. I have used these items on many cameras and have even cut them down to fit etc. They are great.

-- hide signature --

I feel so much better now that I've given up Hope
http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/latest_images

Dave Chilvers's gear list:Dave Chilvers's gear list
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
R Neuschul
Like?

Thanks all for the useful feedback; some very good options to consider there.

Will be doing a series of night shoots over the next few weeks as part of an experimental project so fully armed with new ideas I'll guess be trying out various combinations of tripod/head options, though as the winter weather starts to set in one really doesn't want to be standing out in the cold for too long [nice test of the battery life though - good thing I have several spares].

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads