K-3 Image Processing Samples

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Kaso
Regular MemberPosts: 421
Like?
Re: K-3 Image Processing Samples
In reply to Ned-B, 8 months ago

Ned-B wrote:

Funny but didn't even think about my settings...just shot like I've always done with my K-5 etc. AV mode, SR on, single focus point, everything else default.

Noted, with interest -- just amazing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kerusker
Contributing MemberPosts: 726Gear list
Like?

To me,

the warm and friendly eyes of your grand-son need a warm skin tone.

For me it's #2

Very nice  - thanks Ned

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Kerusker's gear list:Kerusker's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED
Ned-B
Senior MemberPosts: 1,304Gear list
Like?
In reply to JL Salvignol, 8 months ago

Bad luck for the wrinkles, Ned. You managed to dig up the single k3 in circulation that does notblurs details !  

-- hide signature --

JLS

Thanks JLS, I'm pretty sure there are many more K-3's out there which will perform the same as my sample

Regards,
Ned

Ned-B's gear list:Ned-B's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Ned-B
Like?
In reply to Kerusker, 8 months ago

To me,

the warm and friendly eyes of your grand-son need a warm skin tone.

For me it's #2

Very nice  - thanks Ned

-- hide signature --

][.Kerusker
we don't see that we don't see (eye's blind spot)

Thanks very much for your feedback. I went back and forth while editing, but agree, I think No. 2 works best for him (and his mom).

Regards,
Ned

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Gary Martin
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,041Gear list
Like?

Hello Ned! I like the B&W rendition quite a bit, but the Color Fx version looks artificial to me, and I like the original much better. I love the rendering of the FA31 for images like this.

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +3 more
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,471
Like?

Nice Processing Ned, Great photo too!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

soheil
Senior MemberPosts: 2,009Gear list
Like?
Age specific mode

Adding an age specific skin rendering option to K3 by a firmware update could be a blockbuster for                portrait photographers. As a 50+ guy, I prefer the 2nd image

-
Regards,
Soheil
------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +18 more
Ned-B
Like?
In reply to Gary Martin, 8 months ago

Hello Ned! I like the B&W rendition quite a bit, but the Color Fx version looks artificial to me, and I like the original much better. I love the rendering of the FA31 for images like this.

Hi Gary, thanks. I'm looking forward to printing the B&W's. Agree, a few of the default filters in Color Efex sometimes produce a slight plasticky look. I probably should have adjusted the toning a bit. Yes, the FA31 sure seems to like the new sensor!

Cheers,
Ned

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Ned-B
Like?
In reply to MightyMike, 8 months ago

Nice Processing Ned, Great photo too!

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Thanks Mike, hope you're enjoying your K-3.

Regards,
Ned

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Ned-B
Like?
Re: Age specific mode
In reply to soheil, 8 months ago

Adding an age specific skin rendering option to K3 by a firmware update could be a blockbuster for                portrait photographers. As a 50+ guy, I prefer the 2nd image

-
Regards,
Soheil
------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

Soheil, it actually could be done...probably in software as part of face detection:)

Cheers,
Ned

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
13thBagel
Contributing MemberPosts: 928Gear list
Like?
If you do not know it already...

Ned-B wrote:

Ned-B wrote:

Great images Ned, the focus and skin detail are excellent, now the big questions are, was sr on, was fill flash used, was af used ? and if so contrast or phase ?

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax K7, Panasonic fz150, Olympus XZ1, my main toys.

Thanks Don. Funny but didn't even think about my settings...just shot like I've always done with my K-5 etc. AV mode, SR on, single focus point, everything else default.

Cheers,
Ned

Ditto .... keep settings simple. Leaves you free to work on composition, lighting, background, expressions etc

Maybe use a simple reflector propped up but that's as far as I go. The rest is in the eye as they say ..

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

We're on the same page. As the sun was going down, I had very little time for these photos so had to keep it simple. You're right though, I probably should have brought a reflector.

I've never considered, or used a reflector. Instead, I find NIK's ColorEfex Pro filter "Darken/Lighten Center" in LR 5.2 works well to simulate the effect with a very soft vignette can help draw the viewer's eye to what I consider the image's point of interest.

Anyway, simply open the filter, click on the "Place Center" square below the sliders, move your pointer over the image and click on the spot where you wish the effect to center. In your case, I might pick the main subject's eyes, or smile, (say) the boy. Adjust the sliders to create the effect you desire. If you wish to change the center point in the image, re-click the little square under the filter's sliders, then click the new location in your image, followed by a re-adjustment of the slider's effects, as you wish. Usually, this is done as the last step in my workflow and I save the result as a TIFF file.

Cheers... M

BTW: Handsome family...

-- hide signature --

Mostly bugs, birds and people... each doing its own special thing.

13thBagel's gear list:13thBagel's gear list
Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads