K-3 Image Processing Samples

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Ned-B
Senior MemberPosts: 1,285Gear list
Like?
K-3 Image Processing Samples
7 months ago

I had to shoot some last minute family Holiday photos yesterday. As the K-3 is still very new to me, I've only been using the FA31...it's my favorite lens and I want to fully understand how it renders images in various situations with the new sensor.

I thought some of you would like to see this trio of images. The image was shot in DNG and simply processed into jpegs for posting here and on my Flickr account. As I'm a big fan of Nik Software's Color and Silver Efex, the next two examples were edited with these two plug-ins that I use with CS6.

Cheers,

Ned

Original Image

Image processed with Color Efex

Image processed with Silver Efex

Ned-B's gear list:Ned-B's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Joseph Tainter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,215
Like?
Re: K-3 Image Processing Samples
In reply to Ned-B, 7 months ago

Lovely.

I like 1 and 3 better than 2.

Joe

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Kaso
Regular MemberPosts: 405
Like?

The details are spectacular! The fabric and the button below her chin, for example.

Thanks for sharing.

britcam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,807Gear list
Like?

I took the liberty of looking at 100%, and the detail is exceptional ...!  I prefer the warmth of the second one, but the B&W is equally good.

Nice the see more examples of the K3 delivering the goods ...

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-01 +11 more
Ned-B
Like?
In reply to Joseph Tainter, 7 months ago

Lovely.

Joe

Thanks Joe. My daughter-in-law will probably prefer 2 since the filter softened up the bitingly sharp rendering of those wrinkles around her eyes

Ned

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Ned-B
Like?
In reply to Kaso, 7 months ago

The details are spectacular! The fabric and the button below her chin, for example.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your feedback. I also thought with all the textures and surfaces this would be a good test of the K-3.

Ned

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Ned-B
Like?
In reply to britcam, 7 months ago

I took the liberty of looking at 100%, and the detail is exceptional ...!  I prefer the warmth of the second one, but the B&W is equally good.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

Thanks Rich,

I'm still getting used to the camera and its file processing characteristics, but agree the images are starting to look very nice for my purposes. Can't wait to print some of my B&W's at a large size off my Epson 4900.

Regards,
Ned

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,082Gear list
Like?

Great images Ned, the focus and skin detail are excellent, now the big questions are, was sr on, was fill flash used, was af used ? and if so contrast or phase ?

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Pentax K7, Panasonic fz150, Olympus XZ1, my main toys.

britcam
Like?

Ned-B wrote:

I took the liberty of looking at 100%, and the detail is exceptional ...! I prefer the warmth of the second one, but the B&W is equally good.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

Thanks Rich,

I'm still getting used to the camera and its file processing characteristics, but agree the images are starting to look very nice for my purposes. Can't wait to print some of my B&W's at a large size off my Epson 4900.

Regards,
Ned

Great that you are printing!  I think that should be a mantra ...."I must print ... I must print" ...   I use an Epson 3800 on rag art paper ... wonderful depth

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-01 +11 more
britcam
Like?

Ned-B wrote:

Lovely.

Joe

Thanks Joe. My daughter-in-law will probably prefer 2 since the filter softened up the bitingly sharp rendering of those wrinkles around her eyes

Ned

Maybe the K3 should be issued with a "wrinkle" health warning ... especially coupled with a 31 Ltd!

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

Ned-B
Like?

Ned-B wrote:

Lovely.

Joe

Ned

Maybe the K3 should be issued with a "wrinkle" health warning ... especially coupled with a 31 Ltd!

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

Too funny, Rich! In reality though, I'm going to have to rethink how I do portraits of non-family members

Cheers,
Ned

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Ned-B
Like?

Ned-B wrote:

I took the liberty of looking at 100%, and the detail is exceptional ...! I prefer the warmth of the second one, but the B&W is equally good.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

Thanks Rich,

Regards,
Ned

Great that you are printing!  I think that should be a mantra ...."I must print ... I must print" ...   I use an Epson 3800 on rag art paper ... wonderful depth

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

I'm with you on this point. For me, the print has always been what photography is about. Hope you're enjoying your 3800. My favorite papers are Velvet Fine Art and Hot Press Natural.

Regards,
Ned

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Ned-B
Like?
In reply to Donald B, 7 months ago

Great images Ned, the focus and skin detail are excellent, now the big questions are, was sr on, was fill flash used, was af used ? and if so contrast or phase ?

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Thanks Don. Funny but didn't even think about my settings...just shot like I've always done with my K-5 etc. AV mode, SR on, single focus point, everything else default.

Cheers,
Ned

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
britcam
Like?

Ned-B wrote:

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Thanks Don. Funny but didn't even think about my settings...just shot like I've always done with my K-5 etc. AV mode, SR on, single focus point, everything else default.

Cheers,
Ned

Ditto .... keep settings simple.  Leaves you free to work on composition, lighting, background, expressions etc

Maybe use a simple reflector propped up but that's as far as I go.  The rest is in the eye as they say ..

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,172Gear list
Like?

1st for me Ned - beautiful photograph.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Ned-B
Like?

Ned-B wrote:

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ned

Ditto .... keep settings simple.  Leaves you free to work on composition, lighting, background, expressions etc

Maybe use a simple reflector propped up but that's as far as I go.  The rest is in the eye as they say ..

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
britcam - Rich S

We're on the same page. As the sun was going down, I had very little time for these photos so had to keep it simple. You're right though, I probably should have brought a reflector.

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Ned-B
Like?
In reply to ozdean, 7 months ago

1st for me Ned - beautiful photograph.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

Thanks Dean, glad you liked it.

Ned

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,082Gear list
Like?

Ned-B wrote:

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ned

Thanks Ned,

after all the negative outcomes from some new K3 owners with focus and image quality, your photos put to rest a lot of their findings,  look forward to some more of your work from the K3.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 766Gear list
Like?

Bad luck for the wrinkles, Ned. You managed to dig up the single k3 in circulation that does notblurs details !  

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V1 Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
Ned-B
Like?
In reply to Donald B, 7 months ago

Ned-B wrote:

cheers don

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ned

Thanks Ned,

after all the negative outcomes from some new K3 owners with focus and image quality, your photos put to rest a lot of their findings,  look forward to some more of your work from the K3.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

My pleasure, Don.

This happens anytime a mfg releases a new camera. Best to wait until the dust settles before you can really judge a camera's true capabilities.

There should be a "certified photo" program whereby images from a new camera are tagged and you know they've been shot by a photographer who's been loaned the camera by the mfg. They all have their circle of photographers who are seeded cameras as soon as they're released.

Regards,
Ned

Ricoh GR Pentax K-3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads