Poll: What Camera did you get on the end? A7 or A7R ?

Started 7 months ago | Polls
radissimo
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
Re: Poll: What Camera did you get on the end? A7 or A7R ?
In reply to SF Slim, 7 months ago

DAY 5 count:

A7: 55.4 %      A7R: 44.6%

Even that number of total voters is low I thing it represents the current ratio. I was wront that A7R is on the top....

radissimo's gear list:radissimo's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JeffS7444
Regular MemberPosts: 280
Like?
In reply to radissimo, 7 months ago

My dealer ran a special A7 event this past weekend, but I didn't reach the store until mid-afternoon, and by then, the A7Rs and 35mm lenses were sold out. I liked the size of the lens, but decided not to worry about 36 megapixels because I feared it would unleash my inner OCD 

hdr
hdr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,444
Like?

SF Slim wrote:

pantat wrote:

It was kind of hard for me to decide, so I bought both.

are you keeping both?

Good question.

It's best to look at a side-by-side comparison of all the features (and ignoring the price and max px count.

-- hide signature --

Depth haz been the mizzing dimenzion for long enough, but still, few are bothered with 3D:-
http://www.SingaporeGallery.com

Patarix
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
In reply to JeffS7444, 7 months ago

I still can't vote as I've not bought any of the two yet, but I'll most likely get the A7R (I'll vote once I get the camera); right now I own an old Nikon D300....I'm expecting good image quality from the A7R vs the old D300 

-- hide signature --

Alessandro Pataro - Rep. of Panama

Patarix's gear list:Patarix's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622Gear list
Like?

radissimo wrote:

Yes they are ( quality wise, the mode dial of A7R is made of metal ).

But several testers could not tell the difference blindfolded.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Red G8R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,622Gear list
Like?
In reply to Red G8R, 7 months ago

I still haven't decided as yet but I'm leaning more towards the A7. This will primarily be my travel camera  and I would pick up the kit now if it had a 24-70 f3.5-5.6. The 28-70 is just not wide enough for me. I might still go the Fujifilm way with an XE-2.

-- hide signature --

Peter
Ontario, Canada

Red G8R's gear list:Red G8R's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
sroute
Senior MemberPosts: 2,459
Like?

radissimo wrote:

DAY 5 count:

A7: 55.4 % A7R: 44.6%

Even that number of total voters is low I thing it represents the current ratio. I was wront that A7R is on the top....

Local regions have their own trends. Where I live A7r is apparently outselling A7's three to one.

Riebs
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?

A7r with both 35 and 55 FE lenses.

I was praying for a camera to lighten my backpacking load when shooting landscapes. I'm uncertain that I succeeded. Really bad shutter shock (vibration) degrading images at longer shutter times on too many lenses. And the lossy compression of RAW images makes me want to cry.

Riebs's gear list:Riebs's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R
uhoh07
Senior MemberPosts: 1,354Gear list
Like?
In reply to Riebs, 7 months ago

Returning my A7r for the A7 which should be here wed.

At first I thought the A7r had more center pop even with reduced files, but as I saw alot of good shooters working with it, I just did not see that anymore. I hope LOL

then we have colorshift issues which are related to smearing to some degree I think, but it's nice to have less of that for sure.

next is the first curtain shutter: quieter.

FIle size: it wasn't too bad but smaller would be nicer.

and not least: 600 bucks. I can pay for something with that

This is the first time I've ever returned a camera, and I never thought about it till the tenth time I told someone to get the A7 instead of the A7r. So I called B&H and asked.

uhoh07's gear list:uhoh07's gear list
Leica M9 Sony Alpha 7R
Bruce Oudekerk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?
The Poll:

As an interested non-voter/non-owner I find it remarkable that about 40% of the voters likely have NO native FE lenses. That means they are using the camera in e-mount crop mode or are using other mount lenses. That in itself would make an interesting survey as to what is actually being used as primary lenses.

Bruce

ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,847Gear list
Like?
The magic $2K mark

radissimo wrote:

What Camera did you get on the end?

For a research paper with an early January deadline, I'm trying to get a FF sensor behind optics that wouldn't fit on DSLRs but easily adapt to E/FE mount. Both A7/A7R are in stock various places, so why did I just buy an A7 when the A7R's sensor would be a real advantage for this work?

Any camera over $2000 requires paperwork through purchasing at my university rather than simple business credit card purchase (which I just did to get an A7). That paperwork adds a minimum of about a two-week delay to actually ordering an A7R. The delay is particularly daunting when a camera could easily go out of stock while that paperwork is happening, potentially pushing the delivery date even later. Note that if the Sony A7R was available from any of the "preferred vendors" for my university this wouldn't be a problem, but of course it isn't yet.

Anyway, I think this is a real issue. I suspect that the A7R's pricing makes buying it take the slow path in a lot of institutions/companies. I don't see the A7 as an "end," but as a quick fix with good potential for other uses in the longer term (e.g., development platform for using Sony's API). Little doubt I'll eventually I'll get an A7R too....

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
SF Slim
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to Riebs, 7 months ago

Riebs wrote:

A7r with both 35 and 55 FE lenses.

I was praying for a camera to lighten my backpacking load when shooting landscapes. I'm uncertain that I succeeded. Really bad shutter shock (vibration) degrading images at longer shutter times on too many lenses. And the lossy compression of RAW images makes me want to cry.

You sound very disappointed, are you returning it? Will you get the A7 instead?

Would you elaborate on the "lossy compression of RAW images"

-- hide signature --

SF

r23w
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?

Mine didn't really have an option but A7 + kit + 35mm.  Bought an open box on amazon, only paid $1829 for it (kit not with the 35mm).

r23w's gear list:r23w's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
radissimo
Like?
In reply to r23w, 7 months ago

DAY 6:

-- hide signature --

A7:57%       A7R: 43%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still cannot believe that A7 is more popular here on the \Forum, however I noted that most tests are done with A7R!

M Powered
Regular MemberPosts: 159
Like?

A7 Kit + 35mm here.

-- hide signature --

www.keslertran.com
www.keslertran.tumblr.com

radissimo
Like?
In reply to M Powered, 7 months ago

DAY 7 COUNT

-- hide signature --

A7: 56.3%                                             A7R: 43.7%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

radissimo
Like?

DAY 8 COUNT

A7:54.5%                  vs.                               A7R: 45.5%

Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,355Gear list
Like?

A7 because:

• I can use the extra $600 a LOT more than I can use the extra 12 MP
  • Electronic Front Curtain (the feather that tipped the scale)
  • Same resolution but much larger CoC [circle of confusion i.e. pixel size] than my current NEX-7 (might be fun to let my gut out just a bit…)
  • File size (my computer isn't getting any younger and the next upgrade is still 2 years out)

Did it take some monumental self-discipline on my part to refrain from going for the maximum IQ? You bet it did. But the price break helped - a lot. And I know from owning the NEX-7, sometimes it gets lonely at the top. 

No kit lens for me, thank you very much. I have 16 full-frame legacy lenses that have been waiting way too long to get used as intended.

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
djp58
Regular MemberPosts: 346Gear list
Like?
Re: Perhaps unpopular
In reply to djp58, 7 months ago

djp58 wrote:

Currently still planning on the A7R w/35mm, but neither has shipped yet (ordered through local small brick & mortar shop - I like to support local small businesses when I can). They did get an A7 kit in and are letting me play around with it with my legacy lens collection. I'm impressed - might have to rethink.

David

Stuck to my original plan A7R (arrived yesterday) & 35mm (Monday I'm told).  I've only had a chance to take a couple of shots w/CG45 and, wow.  Hope the weather here clears up and I can get out and really put it to the test!

David

djp58's gear list:djp58's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +14 more
ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,847Gear list
Like?
Re: The magic $2K mark
In reply to ProfHankD, 7 months ago

ProfHankD wrote:  I don't see the A7 as an "end," but as a quick fix with good potential for other uses in the longer term (e.g., development platform for using Sony's API). Little doubt I'll eventually I'll get an A7R too....

After playing with the A7 a little, I have to say that the A7 would be a perfectly viable "end" for 99% of all uses.

Yes, I'll get an A7R too -- because I do technical stuff within that 1% rather often -- but I don't think many people would ever have to apologize for using an A7 instead. The IQ is really superb, as is the EVF; the UI isn't great, but it doesn't hurt general handling with LA-EA4 autofocus or peaking manual focus much... and, of course, the A7R is essentially the same in everything but peak IQ. It is also worth noting that it will take a bit of care to max-out the IQ on the A7 (which is also true of the NEX-7), so unless you're being very careful, there really will not be much extra IQ for an A7R to capture.

Just to make it explicit: I think the NEX-7 (with an optional lens turbo) is also still a viable "end" for 95% of all uses. The A7 peak IQ is better, but it doesn't blow away a NEX-7 with a focal reducer unless you need the highest ISOs (and thanks to photon shot noise, no camera will ever approach peak IQ at high ISOs) or wireless support. Put another way, for old manual glass, we suddenly have decent "full-frameish" options ranging from about $450 (A3000 + lens turbo) to $2300 (A7R) with a range of IQ that starts out great and goes up from there. The only problem I see is that pricing on old lenses is gonna go nuts.  

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads