Any Sony RX100ii users?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
ekomorgan
Regular MemberPosts: 295
Like?
Any Sony RX100ii users?
7 months ago

I have the V1 and love it, but have to admit that despite its small size, I sometimes want something a little more pocketable.  I was thinking about the Sony RX100ii, but was wondering about its AF speed and macro ability.  Does anybody have experience with both cameras and can give me a comparison of these features?

Thanks!

Nikon 1 V1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wazu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,156
Like?
Re: Any Sony RX100ii users?
In reply to ekomorgan, 7 months ago

Have Nikon 1 AW1 and RX100m2, and actaully since it is now winter fitting the AW1 with 11-27.5 lens jacket pocket is possible. So that isn't as much of an issue. The low light ability to focus using the AW1 is a real problem as well as the poor high ISO quality. Too much noise above ISO 800. But then I bought the AW1 for diverse weather conditions while skiing and kayaking.

Going back and forth from toggle zoom to lens twist and the controls being so different is tough getting used to. I had no issues swapping between my RX1 and RX100. The appeal of a small capable camera like RX100 is great if you enjoy always carrying a quality camera with you. Perhaps an alternative is just a better mobile phone camera also. the RX100m2 is overpriced IMO so if you aren't going to use the tilt screen and hotshoe I would recommend the first version.

-- hide signature --

There is a crack in everything That's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ekomorgan
Regular MemberPosts: 295
Like?
In reply to wazu, 7 months ago

Thanks for sharing your experiences with these cameras.  The price is what is holding me back from ordering the Sony, but you are right, perhaps the ealier model might be a good option.  -Amy

captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,826Gear list
Like?

ekomorgan wrote:

Thanks for sharing your experiences with these cameras. The price is what is holding me back from ordering the Sony, but you are right, perhaps the ealier model might be a good option. -Amy

You could also look at the new Panasonic GM1, the smallest M43 camera.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Jimmy jang Boo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,231Gear list
Like?

I considered it, but for a little more money I went with the Ricoh GR. The GR feels much better in the hand with all the controls sensibly placed for one hand operation; by contrast I won't say what I really think of the Sony. The GR has a much bigger sensor and the IQ exponentially better. And although it doesn't have zoom lens, the lens it does have leaves nothing to be desired. At full resolution it is equal to 28mm on a FF. Additionally, it has two crop modes, one that allows for 35mm FOV utilizing the a little more area of the sensor than that of m4/3, and another that allows for 47mm FOV utilizing the a little more area than that of a 1" sensor.

If you like those 3 equivalent focal lengths, the GR is arguably the best compact / P&S camera on the market. The ergonomics, interface and image quality are flat out superior to the RX-100ii.

Jimmy jang Boo's gear list:Jimmy jang Boo's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1
scottyinfrisco
Regular MemberPosts: 382Gear list
Like?

Canon S110? Just a thought.

scottyinfrisco's gear list:scottyinfrisco's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 +13 more