Equipment storage

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Phlodge
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
Equipment storage
9 months ago

Hello

Like most people (I hope) I have a camera bag for all occaisons, these are based on size and purpose and there is no doubt I have more than I need.  And here's me thinking women have too many handbags.

I feel a visit to ebay coming on.

Anyway, none of these bags are large enough to hold all my equipment in one place (couple of bodies, say 5 lens and 2 speedlight flash's.)  My equipment seems to be all over the place and I like the idea of it all being together where I can see what it is and where it is.

I rarely go out with more than 2/3 lens, so the current plethora of bags more than fulfills that purpose.

I thought of buying a cupbard to put all the equipment in, then my thoughts drifted to a very large camera bag or a protective case, but the latter 2 are a bit pricey and probably more than  I need given that I probably would never go out with everything.

To date I have not resolved the matter although its leaning towards a cupboard of some sort, I just wondered what everyone seems to do regarding storing their equipment when its not being used.

Thought I would ask in case I have missed something unique or obvious.

Thanks for the help.

Phil.

PenPix
Contributing MemberPosts: 906
Like?
Re: Equipment storage
In reply to Phlodge, 9 months ago

I did have things on a cupboard, but it let dust in and it wasn't that convenient to move lenses and things about to see what is behind it. I now have a large bag for all my Nikon gear, and a medium bag for all my Fuji gear. I also have 2 smaller bags that I use to take whatever gear I need at the time.  This is more convenient and quicker.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bikerguy
Forum MemberPosts: 79
Like?

I just went through this. I have five lenses, one body and a compact camera plus the ususal assorment of filters, chargers and memory cards. I have them all in a padded drawer with internal dimmensions of 18" x 21". since evrything is visible I find it very convenient to reach in and take out whatever I want. BTW, I lined the bottom and the four sides with pieces cut from a 1/2" foam sleeping bag pad. In addition to cushioning everything it also tends to hold eerything in place. The drawer is just deep enough to allow clearance for my DSLR to stand upright with a lens attached.

-- hide signature --

Bikerguy

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,491Gear list
Like?

I used old Samsonite hard shell suitcases without the liner.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
wasserball
Like?

The Samsonite hardcase gives me flexibility in what I need to take to a photo shoot. The hardcase protects the equipment from all the wet and rough stuffs that go on near the football sideline.

Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Cope
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,319Gear list
Like?

Most of my gear is stored in my safe.  My body and a few lenses stay in a Domke messenger bag.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
Carey Brown
Contributing MemberPosts: 689Gear list
Like?
Locked gun cabinet

I learned the hard way.

Carey Brown's gear list:Carey Brown's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +9 more
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,419Gear list
Like?

I have a cupboard for my digital gear-- just a plain unfinished kitchen cabinet I bought at a big box home store for less than $40 US.  I have it set up on top of a low cabinet in my studio, braced on one side against my tall tool chest.  Two shelves inside with a bunch of little desiccant pouches scattered around (I have to buy a decent desiccant box). Batteries and chargers on the top shelf, alongside a B+H box full of bits and pieces.  On the lower shelf, which is really the bottom of the cabinet, padded with a couple of old T-shirts, are my cameras: the K-30 with one lens on it and the Fuji X10, and the extra lenses for the DSLR all in their little pouches.  The cameras are ready to go and can be in hand and ready to go very quickly.  I keep my stack of bags of various sizes on top of the cabinet and can pack whatever I need right there without too much trouble.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
wasserball
Like?

I missed understood you. You want storage, not a bag or case to transport your equipment. I use a set of plastic drawers to keep my equipment. It is as dust and outgas (after a while) free as anything that is not overly expensive.

BTW, is "cupboard" some English word for a dresser?

yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,419Gear list
Like?
Re: Locked gun cabinet
In reply to Carey Brown, 9 months ago

But not with the guns, I hope-- I was always taught that penetrating gun oils can fog lenses if guns and cameras are stored together in tight quarters.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,961
Like?

Get a G.I. foot locker plenty big enough and has a tray as well.

-- hide signature --

ABA DABA

Carey Brown
Contributing MemberPosts: 689Gear list
Like?
In reply to yardcoyote, 9 months ago

yardcoyote wrote:

But not with the guns, I hope-- I was always taught that penetrating gun oils can fog lenses if guns and cameras are stored together in tight quarters.

Nope - no guns.

Had to make shelves for it though.

Carey Brown's gear list:Carey Brown's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +9 more
AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,239Gear list
Like?
In reply to wasserball, 9 months ago

wasserball wrote:

Yes.

Cupboard

I store my gear in one of these (from Ikea). All my cameras and lenses fit nicely and you can use plasic foam if you really want to stop things rolling around. These drawers are probably too shallow for a big DSLR with a lens mounted but I only have mirrorless and film cameras.

Chest of drawers

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.
Most people are more interested in the picture than the image.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
In reply to wasserball, 9 months ago

wasserball wrote:

I missed understood you. You want storage, not a bag or case to transport your equipment. I use a set of plastic drawers to keep my equipment. It is as dust and outgas (after a while) free as anything that is not overly expensive.

"Cup"-"Board" As in you open it up and there is a board (shelf) for storing cup's on

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?

Phlodge wrote:

Hello

Like most people (I hope) I have a camera bag for all occaisons, these are based on size and purpose and there is no doubt I have more than I need. And here's me thinking women have too many handbags.

Anyway, none of these bags are large enough to hold all my equipment in one place (couple of bodies, say 5 lens and 2 speedlight flash's.) My equipment seems to be all over the place and I like the idea of it all being together where I can see what it is and where it is.

I rarely go out with more than 2/3 lens, so the current plethora of bags more than fulfills that purpose.

I thought of buying a cupbard to put all the equipment in, then my thoughts drifted to a very large camera bag or a protective case, but the latter 2 are a bit pricey and probably more than I need given that I probably would never go out with everything.

To date I have not resolved the matter although its leaning towards a cupboard of some sort, I just wondered what everyone seems to do regarding storing their equipment when its not being used.

Thanks for the help.

Phil.

Our flat is real damp and camera insurance is extortionate so everything lives in ziplock bag's in the safe, which was a fifth of the price of a years camera insurance. 5 lenses, 2 body's, 3 flash's, lightmeter, diffuser baffles, etc,etc are a real pain to get out and then put back into their bag's after use. Zip lock bags are cheaper than paying more rent for a dryer place though

-- hide signature --
 Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Phlodge
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?

Hey there

Apologies for not responding sooner to your help, I have been away from a computer since I posted the original question.

Many thanks for getting back to me with your options and thoughts, I think I am leaning towards a cupboard and probably a trip to my local Ikea may inspire me.

I am looking to have a good clear out over the coming weeks and reorganise my office/study at home to be a bit more efficient when it comes to all things photographic.  In doing so I hope to improve my workflow which sort of just happens as opposed to having any structure, in simple terms its a bit messy.

Your help is most appreciated and many thanks once again.

Phil.

Cope
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,319Gear list
Like?
In reply to yardcoyote, 9 months ago

yardcoyote wrote:

It you're in an environment where you needed that much oil on your guns, the cameras would be toast anyway.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Cope's gear list:Cope's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX +3 more
Mahmoud Mousef
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358
Like?

Phlodge wrote:

Hello

Like most people (I hope) I have a camera bag for all occaisons, these are based on size and purpose and there is no doubt I have more than I need. And here's me thinking women have too many handbags.

I can relate

Anyway, none of these bags are large enough to hold all my equipment in one place (couple of bodies, say 5 lens and 2 speedlight flash's.) My equipment seems to be all over the place and I like the idea of it all being together where I can see what it is and where it is.

If you can find one of those large backpacks that can fit it all, it's a good way to protect the gear and have it in one place. Otherwise if it's not going to be moved much (or for some of the less-used components), one of those large plastic boxes with wheels & a lid do a good job storing a fair amount of gear.

wasserball
Like?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, 9 months ago

Clueless Wanderer wrote:

wasserball wrote:

"Cup"-"Board" As in you open it up and there is a board (shelf) for storing cup's on

-- hide signature --

Yea, I have several of them in the kitchen. They are attached to the walls. I put plates in them too, but I have never heard of anyone storing camera lens in there as well.

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,695
Like?
In a humid environment

Phlodge wrote:

Hello

I thought of buying a cupbard to put all the equipment in, then my thoughts drifted to a very large camera bag or a protective case, but the latter 2 are a bit pricey and probably more than I need given that I probably would never go out with everything.

I'm in a warm, humid environment, although the air conditioning keeps the humidity down to a safe level when I'm in town, I travel and then the air conditioning is off. My solution is the use of dry cabinets for bodies, lenses & filters.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads