X-E2 RAW and pink faces

Started 7 months ago | Questions
HPS3
Regular MemberPosts: 454Gear list
Like?
X-E2 RAW and pink faces
7 months ago

I've been using the X-E2 and Sony A7 for the past few days. I've really enjoyed the X-E2 more and want to go the Fuji route. At 6400 iso there really isn't enough difference to make me keep both. The only problem I'm having is the pink skin and faces when shooting raw and converting I'm LR5.3. I don't want to shoot jpeg at 3200 and up because fuji seems to smear the skin. Is there another way to work with the raw files to get the rednes out? I don't have any problems with objects other than skin it seems.

HPS3's gear list:HPS3's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,602Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E2 RAW and pink faces
In reply to HPS3, 7 months ago

HPS3 wrote:

I've been using the xe2 and Sony A7 for the past few days. I've really enjoyed the xe2 more and want to go the Fuji route. At 6400 iso there really isn't enough difference to make me keep both. The only problem I'm having is the pink skin and faces when shooting raw and converting I'm LR5.3. I don't want to shoot jpeg at 3200 and up because fuji seems to smear the skin. Is there another way to work with the raw files to get the rednes out? I don't have any problems with objects other than skin it seems.

Are you seeing high ISO skin smoothing in raw images?

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 7 months ago

HPS3 wrote:

I've been using the xe2 and Sony A7 for the past few days. I've really enjoyed the xe2 more and want to go the Fuji route. At 6400 iso there really isn't enough difference to make me keep both. The only problem I'm having is the pink skin and faces when shooting raw and converting I'm LR5.3. I don't want to shoot jpeg at 3200 and up because fuji seems to smear the skin. Is there another way to work with the raw files to get the rednes out? I don't have any problems with objects other than skin it seems.

Are you seeing high ISO skin smoothing in raw images?

Sal

Need to use a different converter or hope adobe gets it's sorted with the final release. Your issues sound along the same lines as the purple face shadows and blotches everybody has been getting using Lightroom 5.3

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

HPS3 wrote:

Funny, I've just spent the last hour going over some recent photos and correcting pink skin.

I'd wait to see what the final release of LR is like, there are a few issues with the X-E2 and LR but it is a beta so no massive surprise.

Someone posted an X-E2 profile which helps a little, but just toning down the reds and the vibrancy / saturation fixes most of mine most of the time.

RE the JPEG skin smoothing, no fix available, that has to come from Fuji.

HPS3
Regular MemberPosts: 454Gear list
Like?
In reply to newone757, 7 months ago

Yes it's the same pink as other posters have talked about. I'll post some photos later when I can. I've had the pink/purple cast on the almost the whole face. I've tried to use the brush and change the temp but it's a deal beaker if I can't use raw files if people. The raw file doesn't smear at all.

HPS3's gear list:HPS3's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

HPS3 wrote:

Yes it's the same pink as other posters have talked about. I'll post some photos later when I can. I've had the pink/purple cast on the almost the whole face. I've tried to use the brush and change the temp but it's a deal beaker if I can't use raw files if people. The raw file doesn't smear at all.

Sorry. I thought you meant the overall skin tones (they do tend to be a bit on the pink side when indoors but using natural light I find).

For the purple & pink shadows you definitely want to download the X-E2 profile from this thread then: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52598363

It's not perfect, but it's a damn site better than the default.

UfoPeople
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
In reply to stimpy, 7 months ago

stimpy wrote:

HPS3 wrote:

Funny, I've just spent the last hour going over some recent photos and correcting pink skin.

I'd wait to see what the final release of LR is like, there are a few issues with the X-E2 and LR but it is a beta so no massive surprise.

Someone posted an X-E2 profile which helps a little, but just toning down the reds and the vibrancy / saturation fixes most of mine most of the time.

RE the JPEG skin smoothing, no fix available, that has to come from Fuji.

profile v.1.1 added : http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52695994

UfoPeople's gear list:UfoPeople's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
mO0nkey
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to HPS3, 1 week ago

I take a lot of pictures in low light. Actually one of the main reasons to buy the X-E2. I was worried a bit about AF in low light, but never worried about the image quality. And quess what?

I am happy with the AF. Even in low light, but while I do not have the problem with 'pink faces' I do have the same issue with the outrageous amount of noise reduction/smearing being applied to faces and skins. It makes the jpeg's from iso 3200 and upwards useless. I mostly shoot in raw, but this is still pretty annoying. Especially because setting noise reduction to -2 doesn't help at all!

I know some people like the look the excessive amount of noise reduction gives, but I mostly do not and shouldn't the photographer at least have the option to turn it down/off?

I hope Fujifilm will come with an update to fix this issue. I consider it a bug.

baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,692Gear list
Like?
In reply to HPS3, 1 week ago

In the latest version of LR and ACR the RAW engine has the profiles of all Fuji film simulationThis solves your issue at the cost of an upgrade ...

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Mateus1
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
In reply to mO0nkey, 1 week ago

mO0nkey wrote:

I take a lot of pictures in low light. Actually one of the main reasons to buy the X-E2. I was worried a bit about AF in low light, but never worried about the image quality. And quess what?

I am happy with the AF. Even in low light, but while I do not have the problem with 'pink faces' I do have the same issue with the outrageous amount of noise reduction/smearing being applied to faces and skins. It makes the jpeg's from iso 3200 and upwards useless. I mostly shoot in raw, but this is still pretty annoying. Especially because setting noise reduction to -2 doesn't help at all!

I know some people like the look the excessive amount of noise reduction gives, but I mostly do not and shouldn't the photographer at least have the option to turn it down/off?

I hope Fujifilm will come with an update to fix this issue. I consider it a bug.

Send to Fuji your request to fix it, see thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53984019

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads