Low temperatures with the GR V

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
shadowhumper
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?
Low temperatures with the GR V
8 months ago

Hi,

Anyone knows what is the lowest temperature that the GR V can take?

Where I live it can be close to -20 celsius (-13f) and I am afraid of buying it and the camera asking asylum somewhere warmer.

Yours,

Gen. Humper

Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?
Re: Low temperatures with the GR V
In reply to shadowhumper, 8 months ago

I used mine in the mid-20s (Fahrenheit) recently with no problems.  Not sure I'd go much lower than that, though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brbennett
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?

At below zero F I would be concerned about condensation and re-freeze, especially since the GR is not sealed and also has that leaf type lens cover. In the past I've had just that problem with Hasselblad leaf shutter lenses going from a heated area to sub-zero outside temperatures here in Minnesota.

-- hide signature --

Reality is not always probable, or likely.
- J. L. Borges

schaki
Senior MemberPosts: 2,091Gear list
Like?
In reply to brbennett, 8 months ago

And also the film Ricoh GRs are not known for being very reliable compared to other classics like Contax T2 and Hexar AF etc.

A Konica Off-road 28mm 3.5 manufactured in 1990 might be the one he want. Of all the generations of it it is only the 1990 which have 8 elements in 7 groups. The other generations of it have less good lens specs.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftw.myblog.yahoo.com%2Ficman-1%2Farticle%3Fmid%3D914%26prev%3D930%26l%3Da%26fid%3D11&act=url

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Konica_Genba_Kantoku_28

The 1990 is the one below while the others have noticeably less protruding protecting lens-shell.

There is also a thread about it on RFF about it. http://rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85496&highlight=konica

schaki's gear list:schaki's gear list
Contax TVS Digital
Vector12
Regular MemberPosts: 243
Like?

shadowhumper wrote:

Hi,

Where I live it can be close to -20 celsius (-13f) and I am afraid of buying it and the camera asking asylum somewhere warmer.

Yours,

Gen. Humper

I've had no trouble using the camera in temperatures of -10 celsius under circumstances in which I've allowed cold immersion to occur. I bring a plastic bag with me, in which I seal the camera before going back inside. I haven't had to use silica packs, although in principle they're a good idea.

It's difficult to guess, but there isn't much reason to think that you'll have trouble, if you take proper precautions, in -20c. If you allow the camera to be immersed in the cold in that weather, the battery may run down more quickly. Cars, houses, or really any sealed, warm space presents a condensation risk. But an ordinary resealable sandwich bag will solve that problem.

shadowhumper
Like?
In reply to Vector12, 8 months ago

shadowhumper wrote:

Hi,

Yours,

Gen. Humper

I've had no trouble using the camera in temperatures of -10 celsius under circumstances in which I've allowed cold immersion to occur. I bring a plastic bag with me, in which I seal the camera before going back inside. I haven't had to use silica packs, although in principle they're a good idea.

It's difficult to guess, but there isn't much reason to think that you'll have trouble, if you take proper precautions, in -20c. If you allow the camera to be immersed in the cold in that weather, the battery may run down more quickly. Cars, houses, or really any sealed, warm space presents a condensation risk. But an ordinary resealable sandwich bag will solve that problem.

Thanks, I have been using the ziploc bag as well for sometime. Just wanted to know if any operational problems would arise from low temps.

Thanks guys

MontoyaJC
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?

Please advise on how to use this ZIP Lock or Plastic bag, and what does it do?

I might have a chance to go to Iceland next year, and being in the hot zone, i was worried but have no idea what to do or how to protect the gr in such environment.

Thanks.

shadowhumper
Like?
In reply to MontoyaJC, 8 months ago

I might have a chance to go to Iceland next year, and being in the hot zone, i was worried but have no idea what to do or how to protect the gr in such environment.

Thanks.

Carry a ziploc with you and make sure that there are holes in it.

Before entering a warm area just place the camera in the bag and squeeze all air from inside out before closing. The condensation that would form on your lens and camera will happen on the outside wall of the plastic bag. Remember that the camera needs to be inside of the bag until it adjusts to the ambient temperature.

Keep batteries in your pocket so they are warm and don't die so fast.

And if you are in a hurry to check your photos remove memory card before entering the warm area.

rondom
Senior MemberPosts: 1,338
Like?
What type of gloves do you use?

shadowhumper wrote:

Hi,

Yours,

Gen. Humper

Wow,  I guess at -20 c I would have priorities other than photography...but, seriously, just wondering, say, the gr can handle it, how do you even press the shutter? Do you use the remote shutter release or something? Or can you actually walk around without gloves?? I doubt you could use the control buttons with any type of gloves...but that's also another interesting question: anyone aware of proper hand wear for cold weatherphotography?

shadowhumper
Like?
Re: What type of gloves do you use?
In reply to rondom, 8 months ago

rondom wrote:

shadowhumper wrote:

Hi,

Yours,

Gen. Humper

Wow, I guess at -20 c I would have priorities other than photography...but, seriously, just wondering, say, the gr can handle it, how do you even press the shutter? Do you use the remote shutter release or something? Or can you actually walk around without gloves?? I doubt you could use the control buttons with any type of gloves...but that's also another interesting question: anyone aware of proper hand wear for cold weatherphotography?

I have mittens that the front part detaches so this way I can use thinner gloves inside of the mittens. My index finger is always out  from the front part of the mittens, while others are all in, but still protected against the wind. If/when I need more control with all other fingers, unlikely, I can take all my fingers out from the front part of the mittens.

I am considering getting a GR because it is so compact that will fit in my coat pocket together with my hands if winter is too harsh.

Vector12
Regular MemberPosts: 243
Like?

shadowhumper wrote:

rondom wrote:

shadowhumper wrote:

Hi,

Yours,

Gen. Humper

Wow, I guess at -20 c I would have priorities other than photography...but, seriously, just wondering, say, the gr can handle it, how do you even press the shutter? Do you use the remote shutter release or something? Or can you actually walk around without gloves?? I doubt you could use the control buttons with any type of gloves...but that's also another interesting question: anyone aware of proper hand wear for cold weatherphotography?

I have mittens that the front part detaches so this way I can use thinner gloves inside of the mittens. My index finger is always out from the front part of the mittens, while others are all in, but still protected against the wind. If/when I need more control with all other fingers, unlikely, I can take all my fingers out from the front part of the mittens.

I am considering getting a GR because it is so compact that will fit in my coat pocket together with my hands if winter is too harsh.

That's a good strategy. I have a pair of thin windproof mitten shells, designed to go over a liner and under heavy mittens, with a 'trigger finger'. I wear those under heavier mittens and just take off the outermost mitten to snap photos. I'm usually able to function comfortably for two or three minutes that way; long enough to get the pictures I want.

I bought the GR in part to have a really small winter hiking camera. I haven't been out in the -20c to -30c range yet this year, but in the past my experience is that a camera that can share a hand warmer pocket is an asset.

MontoyaJC
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?

Thanks.

Before entering a warm area just place the camera in the bag and squeeze all air from inside out before closing. The condensation that would form on your lens and camera will happen on the outside wall of the plastic bag. Remember that the camera needs to be inside of the bag until it adjusts to the ambient temperature.

And if you are in a hurry to check your photos remove memory card before entering the warm area.

Thank you so much for your answer.

1. Just 1 or 2 small hole? Or a lot all over the zip lock bag?

2. When enter the warm zone, put the GR in the zip lock bag and keep them in the camera bag so that the temperature does go up fast? Correct?

3. After about 1hour? I can take it out?

4. If I have silica gel, I then can put the GR in? While sleeping?

Thanks again, sorry for these stupid questions

Boliver666
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?

What are the holes for?

Boliver666's gear list:Boliver666's gear list
Ricoh GR
shadowhumper
Like?
In reply to MontoyaJC, 8 months ago

MontoyaJC wrote:

Thanks.

Thank you so much for your answer.

1. Just 1 or 2 small hole? Or a lot all over the zip lock bag?

sorry I meant to say NO holes. The holes will defeat the purpose of the bag. And one ziploc will do.

2. When enter the warm zone, put the GR in the zip lock bag and keep them in the camera bag so that the temperature does go up fast? Correct?

It can also be outside of the camera bag as long as it is in ambient temperature.

3. After about 1hour? I can take it out?

You can touch the camera to check if it's too cold still.

4. If I have silica gel, I then can put the GR in? While sleeping?

Sure. Even better.

Thanks again, sorry for these stupid questions

Nah don't worry dude. I m also concerned about my equipment

SleepDeprived
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to shadowhumper, 7 months ago

I just spent a night where the GR V dropped to 12F (said the car), and took pix of the sunrise, and the shutter only partially opened.  I just moved it the rest of the way with my finger, once I noticed. My car fob and watch were (temporarily) dead.

Allen George
Senior MemberPosts: 1,434
Like?
In reply to SleepDeprived, 7 months ago

Interesting. I've definitely used the GRDIII in as low as -10/-15 without issues. Never had a stuck shutter.

-- hide signature --
Allen George
Senior MemberPosts: 1,434
Like?
In reply to rondom, 7 months ago

Mitts over leather gloves. I take the mitts off to shoot, and put them back on to warm my hands when I'm done. And, never underestimate the value of a nearby coffee shop - both for the brew and the warmth.

-- hide signature --
Rigby
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to shadowhumper, 7 months ago

Just wanted to say I just got back from a trip where I used it in extremely cold temperatures, the lowest was -35C. The camera had no troubles operating in the cold, the battery did die a bit earlier and the LCD display started to ghost after a while though but works fine now. I used the aforementioned ziplock bag trick and the camera is fine.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads