Lumix DMC-GX7 HDR seems impressive. Others have it?

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
KPB123
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
Lumix DMC-GX7 HDR seems impressive. Others have it?
Dec 10, 2013

I was reading the review of Lumix DMC-GX7 and was impressed with how much HDR improved one of the photos. It is on section "6. Features" about 1/3 way down the page:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx7/6

Even my untrained eye could tell HDR helped the photo. Unfortunately HDR only works with with the camera set to JPEG only.

Are there other 4/3 cameras that have HDR or is it just this camera?

Thanks!

mrc4nl
Regular MemberPosts: 232
Like?
Re: The Lumix G6 Has hdr
In reply to KPB123, Dec 10, 2013

KPB123 wrote:

Thanks!

if there is a camera similar to the gx7 feature wise it would be the g6
and it looks like it has

Whith a quick search i was able to find this: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_G6/

I dont want to insult the author by coping his text here,  u can find it at the bottom of the header Panasonic Lumix G6 shooting modes

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 4,039
Like?
Re: Lumix DMC-GX7 HDR seems impressive. Others have it?
In reply to KPB123, Dec 10, 2013

KPB123 wrote:

I was reading the review of Lumix DMC-GX7 and was impressed with how much HDR improved one of the photos. It is on section "6. Features" about 1/3 way down the page:

Even my untrained eye could tell HDR helped the photo. Unfortunately HDR only works with with the camera set to JPEG only.

As far as I know the GX7 is the only currently available micro-4/3rds body to do this crappy in-camera quasi-HDR blending, and as you say : only Jpegs, therefore a limited DR to start with.

The DR in a single GX7 RAW file allows as much (if not more) shadow lifting as seen in the example.

Other micro-4/3rds bodies can quickly bracket up to 7 RAW shots with which to apply real HDR on your computer later. Some of the cameras label such a function "HDR", but it's really bracketing, and the results will be far better than your example of GX7 in-camera "HDR".

(None of these are 4/3 cameras)

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

KPB123
Junior MemberPosts: 33
Like?
In reply to Ulfric M Douglas, Dec 10, 2013

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

KPB123 wrote:

As far as I know the GX7 is the only currently available micro-4/3rds body to do this crappy in-camera quasi-HDR blending, and as you say : only Jpegs, therefore a limited DR to start with.

The DR in a single GX7 RAW file allows as much (if not more) shadow lifting as seen in the example.

Is shadow lifting something that is done in RAW by the camera or by software after downloading?

Other micro-4/3rds bodies can quickly bracket up to 7 RAW shots with which to apply real HDR on your computer later. Some of the cameras label such a function "HDR", but it's really bracketing, and the results will be far better than your example of GX7 in-camera "HDR".

Is bracketing raw shots a setting for micro-4/3 cameras including the GX7?

(None of these are 4/3 cameras)

micro-4/3. correct?  Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

aljudy
Contributing MemberPosts: 535Gear list
Like?
In reply to KPB123, Dec 11, 2013

KPB123 wrote:

GH3 has HDR and Multiple Exposure functions. I think GM1 does too.

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer of family mainly

aljudy's gear list:aljudy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +7 more
rare wolf
Contributing MemberPosts: 885
Like?

DPR reports the GX7 can bracket as many as 7 frames at 1ev each. Can this be relative to ISO? Which camera is the most versatile in this respect?
--
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Cogito ergo zZOooOMm

Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 4,039
Like?

KPB123 wrote:

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

KPB123 wrote:

Is shadow lifting something that is done in RAW by the camera or by software after downloading?

Yes they all have an EV-bracket option (of varying spread) and they all can take RAW.

If you choose RAW+Jpeg and take single frames (instead of bracketing) your GX7 RAW files can have their shadows lifted sucessfully by many free software : I recommend FastStone for viewing and quick editing.

The example of in-camera "HDR" given in your DPReview page is pointless (although necessary for a review) given the Jpeg restrictions and what you can really do with the camera.

I consider it a feature which is not only useless but distracting from better methods.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

PaulChapman
Contributing MemberPosts: 949Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ulfric M Douglas, Dec 11, 2013

Completely agree with you about the HDR. Panorama is the same. I tried some of these whizzy modes on my GX7 but quickly realised their value and now ignore them. The best features of the GX7 are the evf/screen, the intervalometer and the wifi. I shoot in RAW/JPEG. Since buying the GX7 I have recovered a GX1 (I had given mine away) which is a much nicer camera to use and has far fewer useless functions.

PaulChapman's gear list:PaulChapman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Leica M9-P Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Leica Summilux-M 21mm f/1.4 Asph +9 more
Impulses
Senior MemberPosts: 1,145Gear list
Like?
In reply to PaulChapman, Dec 11, 2013

Completely agree with you about the HDR. Panorama is the same. I tried some of these whizzy modes on my GX7 but quickly realised their value and now ignore them. The best features of the GX7 are the evf/screen, the intervalometer and the wifi. I shoot in RAW/JPEG. Since buying the GX7 I have recovered a GX1 (I had given mine away) which is a much nicer camera to use and has far fewer useless functions.

Not everyone that's gonna buy a M43 camera (or any ILC) is gonna bother with RAW and post processing, nor should they if they're not really interested in it... Just like not everyone's gonna find wifi remote shooting or time lapses useful, depending on what they're shooting.

A lot of replies here are talking way over the poor guy's head... @ OP: Yes, the point of shooting RAW would be to employ some of the techniques mentioned above (HDR off a bracketed series, exposure adjustment, etc). RAW generally gives you more latitude to do those things because you're starting off with a more info rich (non-compressed) file.

It's like film negatives vs copies, or WAV/FLAC vs MP3... There's nothing wrong with in camera pano or HDR modes if you're not really to dive into all that though. I rather like the sweep panoramas tbh, and a lot of these post preceded multi shot manual procedures would require a tripod for proper stitching or blending... Which is another story altogether.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +19 more
LMNCT
Senior MemberPosts: 2,087Gear list
Like?

Why would you expect the GX7 to offer HDR in RAW?  Assuming no in-camera processing, would that not be a contradiction?

LMNCT's gear list:LMNCT's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +19 more
mano42
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?

G6, Gx7, GH3, GM1 all have in-camera HDR with some advanced (manual ) settings. G5 has basic HDR functionality but you can still change WB, exposure, focus, dof etc... . I don't know about Olympus but i think Om5, Em1 also has it.

mano42's gear list:mano42's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +1 more
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,601Gear list
Like?

Sorry, but to my untrained eye, the HDR, looks not so good compared to what HDR software Can do.

Although,  GX7 has it built in but user don't have to use it.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
caver3d
Contributing MemberPosts: 706Gear list
Like?

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

KPB123 wrote:

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

KPB123 wrote:

Yes they all have an EV-bracket option (of varying spread) and they all can take RAW.

If you choose RAW+Jpeg and take single frames (instead of bracketing) your GX7 RAW files can have their shadows lifted sucessfully by many free software : I recommend FastStone for viewing and quick editing.

The example of in-camera "HDR" given in your DPReview page is pointless (although necessary for a review) given the Jpeg restrictions and what you can really do with the camera.

I consider it a feature which is not only useless but distracting from better methods.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

What makes you the camera expert around here?  There are times when some folks do not have immediate access to a computer and would like to utilize some HDR with their images.  There can be many reasons for doing so.  It is up to each photographer. The fact that Pany offers this extra feature in the GX7 is a plus.  You can still optionally PP.  I see nothing wrong with having such options.  And yes, I have the GX7 and am glad Pany included this feature.  If you don't like it, you don't have to use it.

caver3d

caver3d's gear list:caver3d's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +5 more
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,173Gear list
Like?
HDR in post

KPB123 wrote:

Thanks!

An alternative with non-moving subjects is to shoot a 3- or 5-frame exposure bracket and then in postproduction have Nik HDR Efex Pro 2 combine them. This gives you much more control over the final look. It auto-aligns the frames, so if you're steady you can shoot the bracket handheld. This is how I shoot pretty much all my landscape work these days.

-- hide signature --

jacquescornell.com

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +27 more
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,601Gear list
Like?
In reply to caver3d, Dec 12, 2013

caver3d wrote:

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

KPB123 wrote:

Ulfric M Douglas wrote:

KPB123 wrote:

The example of in-camera "HDR" given in your DPReview page is pointless (although necessary for a review) given the Jpeg restrictions and what you can really do with the camera.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

What makes you the camera expert around here? There are times when some folks do not have immediate access to a computer and would like to utilize some HDR with their images. There can be many reasons for doing so. It is up to each photographer. The fact that Pany offers this extra feature in the GX7 is a plus. You can still optionally PP. I see nothing wrong with having such options. And yes, I have the GX7 and am glad Pany included this feature. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it.

caver3d

Really thought the HDR images you posted here are pretty good and show what the GX7 can do, if there is no HDR software to use.

Please post more examples of your HDR work from GX7.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads