DF.....not for me (D4, D700 Fuji x100s user) Unscientific rant

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
jenella
Contributing MemberPosts: 997Gear list
Like?
DF.....not for me (D4, D700 Fuji x100s user) Unscientific rant
7 months ago

I was in NYC this weekend and had a chance to try out the DF. I found one camera store with one in stock. Funny story, I was demoing the DF and there was a customer playing with the new Hasselblad Lunar wood grip titanium (Drooling) . We were shooting each other being silly. Turns out it was Mario Sorrenti, the famous fashion photographer. I had no idea it was him under that baseball cap on this rainy cold night until the guys behind the counter told me . He was talking to my girls, age 7 and 10 about photography too. You just never know in NYC..lol.

Anyways, I was really excited and prepared to buy the DF (well my husband was ) for my Christmas present.

Oh, Ive never really taken the time to play with a Hasselblad an boy did I love that olive wood grip with titanium body..WOW!! Ergonomics were perfect for me and Naturally it fit my hand like a glove, but at $7k that is not a possibility! See link http://www.willoughbys.com/Hasselblad-Titanium-1100183-VINTAGE-Lunar-Camera/dp/B00DQDN9KQ?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

I had my D4 and Fuji x100s with me and various lenses. The DF is definitely for that nostalgia obsessed customer who is taking his time and methodically shooting...slowly. I cant imagine using it on even a family vacation or with any rapidly changing conditions. I love to be able to feel my way around the camera and my aging eyes make it difficult to see the top dials

I do love the look of the DF, its definitely a cool retro fashion camera

I use my d4 for everything from portraits, sports, concerts in low light, family outings, etc. I like my D4 and the way it feels, but there are times I want a smaller size and my Fuji x100s is OK but not great, and it is painfully slow and frustrating  at times. The dials on my little Fuji are small but smooth to operate and less awkward than the DF.

The DF felt very awkward in my hands. The dial was sticking , the ISO was not easy to quickly change, nor anything else for that matter. Compared to the D700 when first came out , I think its fair to say its definitely a little  crippled, despite having the D4 sensor.  I *was* planning on selling  my D700 and getting the DF as a  replacement, however Ive since changed my mind. Im sure after the learning curve, the DF would feel more comfortable.

The AF seemed to lag a little even with my 24-70 2.8 on it. I know Im used to the speed of the D4, so its not fair to compare. I didnt think 39 pt would be an issue but sometimes I do need a wider spread. Again, it goes back to the slower, methodical guy using the DF, they will love it.

I put my 85 1.4D lens on the DF and for whatever reason got a EE message, so I could not really try it.

I put my 14-24mm on it for kicks and it was definitely front heavy and unbalanced.

Just my two cents - I'm pretty disappointed!

-- hide signature --

"if it ain't broke" Get a new one anyway!

jenella's gear list:jenella's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,102
Like?
Re: DF.....not for me (D4, D700 Fuji x100s user) Unscientific rant
In reply to jenella, 7 months ago

Yes the heavier lenses with their vr, af motors are heavier than the older ais lenses which we used with our older film cameras.  I remember using Pentax slr's a lot because of their small size with single focal length small lenses and it was a joy.

I also have the d4 and sometimes get tired of the size for hauling around.  One of these days as good as the d4 is I will probably get into smaller cameras and lenses both.  I am camera poor at this time so need to pass up the df camera.  I also shoot a lot of wildlife so the df is not nearly as suited for this type of photography as the d4.

Larry

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TerryAnderson
Regular MemberPosts: 244Gear list
Like?

jenella,

Thanks for listing your thoughts on the Df. I am going to test one out tomorrow and you have given me some things to consider and check when I have it in my hands..

-- hide signature --

All the best and keep on shooting
Terry Anderson
Boston West Photography

TerryAnderson's gear list:TerryAnderson's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D90 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 +23 more
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,700Gear list
Like?

Well, I wonder if some of the functions on the dials would be able to be assigned and changed on the command wheels?

The Df is more of a prime lens camera.

Ironically, the Df has nothing special to offer for us manual lens owners, which would have made some of those ergonomic issues easy to overlook.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
Eijun
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?

It takes a while to get familiar with the camera, especially with those used to the ergonomic grips on the other models

(Rant: personally I dont like ergonomic grips that is contoured being it fits as a one size fits all range of people, so other people like the small hands people has problems with it, while I am not small I myself prefer minimalist grip to no grip and if I wanted a grip I can get a case which adds a grip)

No clue on the 85mm, maybe some setting needs to be turned on.

Oh and most lens these days are HEAVY!!!!! If you have older lenses and particularly pick out those smaller and lighter lenses then it will feel perfect which most of them are Ai/Ai-s/AF-D type lenses be it primes or zooms.

Eijun's gear list:Eijun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 20mm F2.8 Pancake Samsung NX100 Samsung NX1000 +6 more
rayman 2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191
Like?
I am also an all day D4 user and got myself an a7r not the Df...!
In reply to Eijun, 7 months ago

I am also an all day D4 user and got myself an a7r not the Df...!

It has a lot that I like for my old ais lenses... I can focus on the sensor with

wide and fast old lenses and still not get the dreaded front and backfocus......

Itz also feels good and small in the hand which the Df didnt when I tried it...

apart from that I am covered already having also D800E .......

What the evil cameras also let me do if I need it and dont use Nikon is shoot low and groundlevel..

yes my knees..and also overhead ....!

Peter

mfouks
Regular MemberPosts: 333Gear list
Like?

Thanks for your thoughts on the DF.  I'm actually thinking about getting this camera as well.  However, when I was at Vistek last week, they didn't have one in stock so I couldn't look at it.  I did look at the Sony A7 as that camera is under consideration.  I have a D800e so I'm looking for a lighter camera to carry around for travel.  I would keep the D800 for landscape and nature photography.  I like the idea of smaller files and being able to shoot in low light.  I was at a Scott Kelby's seminar yesterday (shoot like a pro tour-which was excellent).  For travel/street photography  he recommended shooting wide open at an ISO of around 1600 most of the time.  His thoughts were if  you keep your camera at these settings you will be less likely to miss anything.  I thought the DF would be great for this type of photography (maybe with a 35mm prime lens).  Even if the settings are a bit difficult to change, I wouldn't be changing much.  I wonder if it just takes a little time getting use to changing the dials.  However, until I actually try out the camera, I won't know if it feels right for me or not.

Marsha

jenella wrote:

I was in NYC this weekend and had a chance to try out the DF. I found one camera store with one in stock. Funny story, I was demoing the DF and there was a customer playing with the new Hasselblad Lunar wood grip titanium (Drooling) . We were shooting each other being silly. Turns out it was Mario Sorrenti, the famous fashion photographer. I had no idea it was him under that baseball cap on this rainy cold night until the guys behind the counter told me . He was talking to my girls, age 7 and 10 about photography too. You just never know in NYC..lol.

Anyways, I was really excited and prepared to buy the DF (well my husband was ) for my Christmas present.

Oh, Ive never really taken the time to play with a Hasselblad an boy did I love that olive wood grip with titanium body..WOW!! Ergonomics were perfect for me and Naturally it fit my hand like a glove, but at $7k that is not a possibility! See link http://www.willoughbys.com/Hasselblad-Titanium-1100183-VINTAGE-Lunar-Camera/dp/B00DQDN9KQ?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_source=froogle

I had my D4 and Fuji x100s with me and various lenses. The DF is definitely for that nostalgia obsessed customer who is taking his time and methodically shooting...slowly. I cant imagine using it on even a family vacation or with any rapidly changing conditions. I love to be able to feel my way around the camera and my aging eyes make it difficult to see the top dials

I use my d4 for everything from portraits, sports, concerts in low light, family outings, etc. I like my D4 and the way it feels, but there are times I want a smaller size and my Fuji x100s is OK but not great, and it is painfully slow and frustrating at times. The dials on my little Fuji are small but smooth to operate and less awkward than the DF.

The DF felt very awkward in my hands. The dial was sticking , the ISO was not easy to quickly change, nor anything else for that matter. Compared to the D700 when first came out , I think its fair to say its definitely a little crippled, despite having the D4 sensor. I *was* planning on selling my D700 and getting the DF as a replacement, however Ive since changed my mind. Im sure after the learning curve, the DF would feel more comfortable.

The AF seemed to lag a little even with my 24-70 2.8 on it. I know Im used to the speed of the D4, so its not fair to compare. I didnt think 39 pt would be an issue but sometimes I do need a wider spread. Again, it goes back to the slower, methodical guy using the DF, they will love it.

I put my 85 1.4D lens on the DF and for whatever reason got a EE message, so I could not really try it.

I put my 14-24mm on it for kicks and it was definitely front heavy and unbalanced.

-- hide signature --

jenella
Contributing MemberPosts: 997Gear list
Like?
Thanks...I will check out the A7 as well!
In reply to mfouks, 7 months ago

this may be the end of the road for me....other than the D800, not much out there im interested in.

jenella's gear list:jenella's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the impressions.

I can't wait to get this in my hands and put it through the paces.

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
mfouks
Regular MemberPosts: 333Gear list
Like?
In reply to Patrick McMahon, 7 months ago

Patrick let me know what you think when you get a chance to try it out.  I really hope I like this camera as the D800 gets heavy to carry around all day.  I will look at the Sony too but I would rather get the Nikon if I like it because  of the viewfinder and great low light photography, not to mention the lenses that I already have.

Marsha

Patrick McMahon wrote:

Thanks for the impressions.

I can't wait to get this in my hands and put it through the paces.

sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,401Gear list
Like?
Some thoughts

jenella wrote:

I use my d4 for everything from portraits, sports, concerts in low light, family outings, etc. I like my D4 and the way it feels, but there are times I want a smaller size and my Fuji x100s is OK but not great, and it is painfully slow and frustrating at times. The dials on my little Fuji are small but smooth to operate and less awkward than the DF.

The DF felt very awkward in my hands. The dial was sticking , the ISO was not easy to quickly change, nor anything else for that matter. Compared to the D700 when first came out , I think its fair to say its definitely a little crippled, despite having the D4 sensor. I *was* planning on selling my D700 and getting the DF as a replacement, however Ive since changed my mind. Im sure after the learning curve, the DF would feel more comfortable.

-- hide signature --

My tips are as follows:

Don't bother using the Df with the likes of the 14-24 or the 24-70. The camera was never designed for those kind of zoom lenses. It was made for lenses like the 28mm F2 AIS which I was shooting with this lunchtime. It was fantastic fun shooting with it and I had a number of people come over to ask me about the camera. I spent a bit of time with a French guy on London bridge demonstrating the camera to him (he was a D800 owner).

I don't find any issue with AF, if anything its faster on single point than the D800E. If you need the wide area, you'll be disappointed, but frankly, I generally use single point for everything except action.

I think you need a bit longer than a short time in the shop to test out the ergonomics. With shorter prime lenses I find them great and superior to the D800E I also own. It's very easy to control the camera once you are used to the ergonomics. I actually prefer them to the X100S which I'm also an owner of because I'm fed up with knocking the exposure compensation dial of the X100S!

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,197Gear list
Like?
will do
In reply to mfouks, 7 months ago

I am definitely firmly in that niche. I just want to have a light and versatile FX with me. I flirted with the idea of a exxonvalD600 back when... but it didn't take.

I appreciate janella's input because I know she shoots and she makes good non-hyperbolic points.

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads