Thinking of getting an xpro1 or xe2

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
howielenny
Contributing MemberPosts: 752Gear list
Like?
Thinking of getting an xpro1 or xe2
Dec 10, 2013

Hi All
I currently have a Nikon D7100 and Panasonic G5 but have been considering selling up and getting a either a Fuji X pro1 or a Fuji X E2.

I mainly shoot landscapes/portraits and occasional street photography. Having never used a Fuji X series I presume I can use filters with the system and the fuji cameras have filter threads?

Are there any real advantages or disadvantages to the X pro1 over the X E2 or vice versa?
Any help and advice will be much appreciated in my decision.
My main reason to consider the Fuji cameras are image quality and the simulation modes. I want to move smaller, lighter and have less Post Processing and Fuji seems a very nice way of moving forward.

howielenny's gear list:howielenny's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,659Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking of getting an xpro1 or xe2
In reply to howielenny, Dec 10, 2013

Unless you are wedded to the idea of an optical viewfinder, the X-E2 is currently the better camera. Faster focus and performance. Better continuous focus.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
howielenny
Like?
In reply to bowportes, Dec 10, 2013

bowportes wrote:

Unless you are wedded to the idea of an optical viewfinder, the X-E2 is currently the better camera. Faster focus and performance. Better continuous focus.

I'm not worried about an optical view finder as I'm pretty used to a digital viewfinder with the Panasonic G5. Thanks for the information.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,258Gear list
Like?

I went through this same decision process about a month ago.  The only difference was I have owned the X100 for about 2 years.  My final decision was to go with the X-E2 due to the improvements made and the fact the X-E2 was cheaper than the X-Pro 1.  My plan is to take advantage of all the X-E2 has to offer, then upgrade (if it makes sense) to an X-Pro 2 at some point if and when it becomes a reality.  In the meantime I'm trying to pick up a nice set of lenses that I will of course hold on to.  So far I've gotten the 18-55, 55-200, and the Zeiss 32 f/1.8.  I plan at some point in the future to get either the 14 f/2.8 or the rumored wide angle zoom when I can take advantage of a good sale.

Good luck.

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
howielenny
Like?
In reply to jrk, Dec 10, 2013

jrk wrote:

I went through this same decision process about a month ago. The only difference was I have owned the X100 for about 2 years. My final decision was to go with the X-E2 due to the improvements made and the fact the X-E2 was cheaper than the X-Pro 1. My plan is to take advantage of all the X-E2 has to offer, then upgrade (if it makes sense) to an X-Pro 2 at some point if and when it becomes a reality. In the meantime I'm trying to pick up a nice set of lenses that I will of course hold on to. So far I've gotten the 18-55, 55-200, and the Zeiss 32 f/1.8. I plan at some point in the future to get either the 14 f/2.8 or the rumored wide angle zoom when I can take advantage of a good sale.

Good luck.

It's looking more likely I'll be going for an XE2. Probably the first two lenses I'll get are the 18-55mm and 55-200mm.  I'll work on getting some primes a little further down the line. I read Samsung are going to be making a 10mm f2.8 prime so that would be idea for an ultra wide angle lens for me.
It does look like the XE2 for my purposes is a better option than the Xpro1. 
Time for me to start taking photo's and getting my gear ready for selling

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

howielenny wrote:

jrk wrote:

I went through this same decision process about a month ago. The only difference was I have owned the X100 for about 2 years. My final decision was to go with the X-E2 due to the improvements made and the fact the X-E2 was cheaper than the X-Pro 1. My plan is to take advantage of all the X-E2 has to offer, then upgrade (if it makes sense) to an X-Pro 2 at some point if and when it becomes a reality. In the meantime I'm trying to pick up a nice set of lenses that I will of course hold on to. So far I've gotten the 18-55, 55-200, and the Zeiss 32 f/1.8. I plan at some point in the future to get either the 14 f/2.8 or the rumored wide angle zoom when I can take advantage of a good sale.

Good luck.

It's looking more likely I'll be going for an XE2. Probably the first two lenses I'll get are the 18-55mm and 55-200mm. I'll work on getting some primes a little further down the line. I read Samsung are going to be making a 10mm f2.8 prime so that would be idea for an ultra wide angle lens for me.
It does look like the XE2 for my purposes is a better option than the Xpro1.
Time for me to start taking photo's and getting my gear ready for selling

For landscape the zooms are best, they let you frame and work a number of compositions all assuming you are working closer to f/8 than f/1.4 or f/2.8. These lenses let you use filterers. The Samyang will not. So that leaves the Zeiss 12, Fuji 14mm or the upcoming Fuji 10-24 (72mm filter thread bigger than the 55-200 which is 62mm).

Also, the OVF on the Xpro1 will not work with the 55-200 zoom or lenses wider than 18mm. This makes the XE2 a slightly better choice for your stated needs and lenses.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
kcamacho11
Senior MemberPosts: 1,503
Like?

Let me give you my 2 cents on this matter, because I also used to own a D7100 with lenses and moved to the X-E2.

To sum it up, it is the best decision I have ever made, specifically due to the style of shooting that I do. I do not do any fast action/sports,  just mainly portraits, landscapes and low light. The X-E2 simply excels in those 3 categories.

I could go on and on just raving about the X-E2 and what it can do, but I will just say that it has made photography fun for me once again. The camera delivers such great Jpeg's, that I don't even shoot raw anymore with. Is every jpeg perfect? No, but the ones (very few) that need some editing only need the most miminal processing. The combination of great colors, sharpness, contrast and low noise in high ISO's is perfect in the Fuji's.....not to mention half the weight and size!

southpaw74
Regular MemberPosts: 435
Like?
In reply to kcamacho11, Dec 10, 2013

I too was toying with the same idea but ended buying the x-pro1 :).

i much prefer the built quality of the pro.

and to top it off I brought it from fuji uk refurb's at £450, that's just over £300 less then the x-e2.

yes I'd like the evf and speed of the x-e2 but hey the x-pro1 is still awesome .

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,897Gear list
Like?

Looking at the choices, I recently went with the X-E2.  It's a faster more responsive camera now, and it has the extra processing power for future FW upgrades and features over the next couple years.  I would imagine that the previous generation X cameras are near the end of their upgrade cycles.

Also, moving from a much larger FF DSLR system I appreciate the smaller size of the X-E series.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
howielenny
Like?

Thanks for everyone's input it's helping no end. I think the XE2 is winning me over.  I did consider the Panasonic GX7 as well but feel the image quality from the XE2 would be a step up over the GX7 and M43 in general although I prefer the styling of the GX7 (just a personal thing).

I'll have a really good think over the next few days and then decide if it's Xpro1 or XE2

Chris G Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?

My take:

The X-Pro 1 is long over due for an update. The X-E2 is freshly updated. To that extent the X-E2 is the better X series camera at the moment, particularly in light of the fact that the OVF isn't a priority for you.

Personally, I think Fuji is going to release a more SLR-like mirrorless body above the X-Pro 1 and that the next version of the hybrid VF cam will be an X-Pro 1s. Pure speculation on my part based on nothing but rumor, obviously but the choice remains the same regardless: either buy the current flagship body (the X-E2) now or wait until January for an upgraded X-Pro 2, X-Pro 1s or whatever Fuji has in store. Personally I wouldn't pull the trigger on an X-Pro 1 right now. Something new is coming and the prices for the current model will drop when that happens.

Chris G Hughes's gear list:Chris G Hughes's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon D300 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +5 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?
In reply to southpaw74, Dec 10, 2013

southpaw74 wrote:

Wonderful capture!!!

-- hide signature --

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
kcamacho11
Like?

howielenny wrote:

Thanks for everyone's input it's helping no end. I think the XE2 is winning me over. I did consider the Panasonic GX7 as well but feel the image quality from the XE2 would be a step up over the GX7 and M43 in general although I prefer the styling of the GX7 (just a personal thing).

I'll have a really good think over the next few days and then decide if it's Xpro1 or XE2

M43 is a great system to look at if image quality as a whole (dynamic range, depth of field and high ISO performance) is not at the top of your list of things you want most out of a camera.

Not that they aren't t capable of outputting great photos, but the smaller sensor cannot match APS-C. No matter how anyone spins it around (they sure like to do that in the M43 forum), M43 will always be inferior to APS-C.

Yes, M43 cameras have a long and established lens lineup, real quick auto focusing and are packed with nice features but for me what matters most is image quality. I want the luxury of taking a photo at high ISO's (when required), and not have to worry about editing some noise off it later on. Image quality is what matters most to me, and IMO, Fuji cameras along with their excellent lenses are #1 in the APS-C world, and as close as you can get to full frame today.

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,309Gear list
Like?

I agree with others the XE-2 would be the better option if the minor difference of viewfinder does not matter. That is why I got the XE-1 earlier this year.

You also have the instant lens rebates when you buy a Fuji X body which I would take advantage of if you can. If you are selling a DSLR system to fund the Fuji switch it most likely can be an even exchange.

If you want to save another $400 and I have to check again but the XE-1 is at least $300 less expensive than the XE-2.  The AF and viewfinder drag is not the end of the world and the XE-1 is a very functional camera with the firmware updates. Just depends on you and it will also make getting another lens $300 cheaper by getting the XE-1 instead of the XE-2 of you go that way.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
kcamacho11
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Dec 10, 2013

Al Valentino wrote:

southpaw74 wrote:

Wonderful capture!!!

-- hide signature --

Agreed. Awesome photos.

Wulbert
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
In reply to Chris G Hughes, Dec 10, 2013

Just my tuppenceworth, having just bought an XPro-1.

What swayed me was that Calumet are doing the XPro-1 for £949, with the 18mm f2, and a free Fuji leather case. On top of this, Fuji will send you a free XF60mm, or 35mm f1.4. It's too good to miss.

Effectively the XP1 body has cost me a hundred quid. I can sell it in 2yrs and get a nice used XE2 body, should I wish, and still not be much out of pocket.

I realise the only reason I got a deal was because the XP1 will soon be "obsolete", but then so was my Nikon D700 when I bought it, and its been fantastic.

Enjoy your new machine!

southpaw74
Regular MemberPosts: 435
Like?
In reply to Wulbert, Dec 10, 2013

Thanks for the comments on my x-pro1 pics.

I do find in the last week that I'm only using the evf so having the x-e2 evf would be nice but hey I've saved £300 so I'm pretty happy, besides it's the pictures that count.

sorry few more lol, I've had it less then a week and so many keepers.

oh and with the latest firmware updates it seems so different to when I had a x-pro1 on release date, I sold it back then due to its slowness. Now it just seems fine.

First attempted at a fastish moving subject.

Overall I'm pretty happy picking the x-pro1 over the x-e2.

simply because I'm going to want the 56mm 1.2 when it comes out and money saved on the body will help:)

howielenny
Like?
In reply to Wulbert, Dec 10, 2013

Wulbert wrote:

Just my tuppenceworth, having just bought an XPro-1.

What swayed me was that Calumet are doing the XPro-1 for £949, with the 18mm f2, and a free Fuji leather case. On top of this, Fuji will send you a free XF60mm, or 35mm f1.4. It's too good to miss.

Effectively the XP1 body has cost me a hundred quid. I can sell it in 2yrs and get a nice used XE2 body, should I wish, and still not be much out of pocket.

I realise the only reason I got a deal was because the XP1 will soon be "obsolete", but then so was my Nikon D700 when I bought it, and its been fantastic.

Enjoy your new machine!

Looks like the deal on the Xpro-1 and 18mm f2 for £949 is now gone at Calumet, I just took a look. I'll be honest that was one cracking deal and one I would have been interested in especially being able to get a free 60mm or 35mm f1.4.

Ah well onwards and upwards

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads