No interest in D5300?

Started Dec 10, 2013 | Discussions
SamG10
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
No interest in D5300?
Dec 10, 2013

It does not look like there are many threads/posts regarding the d5300.  Are there any owners out there who would care to share their assessment of the camera?  I like the built-in flash.  I like the fact that the images don't look like they're captured with the built-in flash.  The absence of harshness and undesirable sheen is quite pleasing to my eyes.

SamG10's gear list:SamG10's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D1X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
GerardHaines
Regular MemberPosts: 444Gear list
Like?
...or the D5200 for that matter
In reply to SamG10, Dec 10, 2013

I haven't noticed much clamor for the D5200 after its release and even less so with the D5300...other than the AF system, I really haven't seen that much of an upgrade from the D5100 with either those two models.

GerardHaines's gear list:GerardHaines's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,734
Like?
Re: ...or the D5200 for that matter
In reply to GerardHaines, Dec 10, 2013

GerardHaines wrote:

I haven't noticed much clamor for the D5200 after its release and even less so with the D5300...other than the AF system, I really haven't seen that much of an upgrade from the D5100 with either those two models.

Other than the fact that the D5200 has a new sensor with 24mp.  On one hand a guy could think the image quality isn't going to change that much and he'd be right, to an extent, but I got a client who absolutely requires images that are over 5000 pixels on the long side (which the 16mp of the D5100 doesn't do although it's close) and the D5200/D5300 have 6000 pixels on the long side.  And less noise than the D5100.

I can see the lack of buzz over the D5300 since it's just a D5200 with GPS and WiFi capabilities in-camera and more focus points, but maybe a very small percentage of buyers are concerned with that.  And that includes me.  The D5200 was exactly what I was looking for.

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,995Gear list
Like?
I can understand, however . . .
In reply to toomanycanons, Dec 10, 2013

Mine won't get here until Friday but the main reasons I bought it are:

1- It's a Nikon so my learning curve will be very short

2- At 1 pound it is the lightest DSLR body Nikon makes. Almost as light as the Fuji X-Pro1 (mirrorless and very small) which I also owned. Just slightly heavier than the Sony a7 (full frame).

3- The Nikon D5300 is DX so it can use the smaller and lighter DX lenses

4- An articulating view screen

5- Reasonable performance from an inexpensive 24MP camera

6- IQ slightly better than the D5200

7- ISO range 1 stop better than the D5200, all the way to ISO 25,600

8- No low-pass filter (AA)

9- Built-in GPS and Wifi

10- Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 60 fps (giving it slow motion capabilities)

Having owned a D800, D600, and D610 I have a real understanding of what I need.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
sapple
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?
Re: No interest in D5300?

The 5XXX series seems to be in a weird niche. Its not the cheapest DSLR not the most featured prosumer camera. People who are pros usually go for the FX models. So they are out. People who want to be pros but can't afford it go for the 7XXX models. So what is left are people who want a good camera but want to compromise on price. There is a market there certainly, but it is not going to be as vocal as the high end of the prosumers or the low end entry level users.

When I bought my 5200 I knew I made the right choice at the time for me. But here I am just 6 months later and I am already pretty convinced that I will be buying the 7200 whenever it gets announced. I have run up against the limitations of the 5XXX system and I need a camera with functions I simply do not have. I am even considering getting a used D600 or something similar.

-- hide signature --
 sapple's gear list:sapple's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +7 more
SamG10
Like?
In reply to sapple, Dec 10, 2013

sapple wrote:

The 5XXX series seems to be in a weird niche. Its not the cheapest DSLR not the most featured prosumer camera. People who are pros usually go for the FX models. So they are out. People who want to be pros but can't afford it go for the 7XXX models. So what is left are people who want a good camera but want to compromise on price. There is a market there certainly, but it is not going to be as vocal as the high end of the prosumers or the low end entry level users.

When I bought my 5200 I knew I made the right choice at the time for me. But here I am just 6 months later and I am already pretty convinced that I will be buying the 7200 whenever it gets announced. I have run up against the limitations of the 5XXX system and I need a camera with functions I simply do not have. I am even considering getting a used D600 or something similar.

-- hide signature --

I have a D4 and D800 but I wanted something in between and D5300 is it.  I can carry it around anytime to take some quick snaps around the block, in parties, and the like.  I can just put it in idiot modes and off the shutter goes.

Nikon D40X Nikon D1X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Steve Bingham
Like?

Yep. Aspiring pros need a pro camera. However, they will pay a price:

1- The camera will cost more

2- The pro glass will cost a LOT more

3- The pro camera and pro lenses will weigh a lot (been there, done that)

4- Shooting pro can take some of the joy out of photography

5- Maybe 1% of the wannabe pros make a significant income to justify the equipment

If you have the time, money, talent and drive, go for the pro stuff. Otherwise, you might be kidding yourself. My work is in two galleries and I have done very well in International photo contests (a 2nd, honorable mention, and a few dozen acceptances.) All this doesn't even come close to paying for itself.

Almost any 12-36 mp camera, with decent glass, can produce outstanding photographs in the right hands.

Just another point of view.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
morel22
Regular MemberPosts: 144
Like?

Actually this is not Nion's problem with the 5 series. Canon is Nikon's problem since entry level DSLR were introduced. The Rebel series from Canon (1100D, 100D, 6xxD, and 700D) dominate this category. And this category is what leads the sales in DSLRs not the way around!

The high-end crops and full format cameras sell way less than entry level DSLRs.. It's same everywhere with electronics. Laptops, smartphones, tablets, etc..

Up from the 7 series Nikon are doing very well. It's the entry level where they are losing to mirrorless and Canon.

Steve Bingham
Like?

SamG10 wrote:

sapple wrote:

-- hide signature --

I have a D4 and D800 but I wanted something in between and D5300 is it. I can carry it around anytime to take some quick snaps around the block, in parties, and the like. I can just put it in idiot modes and off the shutter goes.

the idiot mode is good - and it is generally alcohol proof.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com

toomanycanons
Like?

sapple sez:

"I have run up against the limitations of the 5XXX system and I need a camera with functions I simply do not have. I am even considering getting a used D600 or something similar."

What limitations are you referring to?

Steve 316
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?

I've looked seriously at both the 5200 and 5300 and just didn't see enough reason to upgrade from my 5100.  I really like the 16MP sensor, and it is all I need for enlargements/cropping.

Unlike the 3xxx series, the 5100 gives me the articulating LCD which I use a lot.  And it's lighter than the 7xxx series.  So I guess there is a niche for the 5xxx series.  That said, Nikon does seem to have trouble differentiating each new 5xxx model.

I started with digital in 2000 with a 2MP Nikon 950.  It took beautfiul pictures up to 5x7, good to 8x10.  From today's cameras to that camera, I notice a huge diffierence.  Among the cameras we are discussing, the distinctions are relatively small, really.  They are all so full featured that it really comes down to the eye and the skill of the photographer.

GerardHaines
Like?

toomanycanons wrote:

GerardHaines wrote:

Other than the fact that the D5200 has a new sensor with 24mp. On one hand a guy could think the image quality isn't going to change that much and he'd be right, to an extent, but I got a client who absolutely requires images that are over 5000 pixels on the long side (which the 16mp of the D5100 doesn't do although it's close) and the D5200/D5300 have 6000 pixels on the long side. And less noise than the D5100.

I can see the lack of buzz over the D5300 since it's just a D5200 with GPS and WiFi capabilities in-camera and more focus points, but maybe a very small percentage of buyers are concerned with that. And that includes me. The D5200 was exactly what I was looking for.

...I think the merits of the 24MP sensor can be debated in terms of return on investment or if it's simply overhyped. In your situation, it fit the bill...I'm not convinced it did that for a lot of people, especially since the 16MP sensor is still favorably regarded by many and D5XXX series is targeted more towards semi-serious consumers and hobbyists rather than professionals.

Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +1 more
Escape
Regular MemberPosts: 340Gear list
Like?

SamG10 wrote:

I like the built-in flash. I like the fact that the images don't look like they're captured with the built-in flash. The absence of harshness and undesirable sheen is quite pleasing to my eyes.

Has the built-in flash on the D5300 been improved compared to D5200? I don't find my D5200's flash all that great, hence I use an external one.

Escape's gear list:Escape's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D5200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C
GerardHaines
Like?
In reply to Steve 316, Dec 10, 2013

Steve 316 wrote:

I've looked seriously at both the 5200 and 5300 and just didn't see enough reason to upgrade from my 5100. I really like the 16MP sensor, and it is all I need for enlargements/cropping.

Unlike the 3xxx series, the 5100 gives me the articulating LCD which I use a lot. And it's lighter than the 7xxx series. So I guess there is a niche for the 5xxx series. That said, Nikon does seem to have trouble differentiating each new 5xxx model.

+1

Well said...you summed it better than I did earlier.

toomanycanons
Like?
In reply to GerardHaines, Dec 10, 2013

GerardHaines wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

GerardHaines wrote:

Other than the fact that the D5200 has a new sensor with 24mp. On one hand a guy could think the image quality isn't going to change that much and he'd be right, to an extent, but I got a client who absolutely requires images that are over 5000 pixels on the long side (which the 16mp of the D5100 doesn't do although it's close) and the D5200/D5300 have 6000 pixels on the long side. And less noise than the D5100.

I can see the lack of buzz over the D5300 since it's just a D5200 with GPS and WiFi capabilities in-camera and more focus points, but maybe a very small percentage of buyers are concerned with that. And that includes me. The D5200 was exactly what I was looking for.

...I think the merits of the 24MP sensor can be debated in terms of return on investment or if it's simply overhyped. In your situation, it fit the bill...I'm not convinced it did that for a lot of people, especially since the 16MP sensor is still favorably regarded by many and D5XXX series is targeted more towards semi-serious consumers and hobbyists rather than professionals.

I still have two D5100s.  Those I use in one phase of my work and don't need the D5200's 24mp or noise capabilities there.

OTOH, if I'm wanting to take a camera out to have with me (and not specifically going to a job that the D5100 works for), I hesitate to take a D5100 but take the D5200 just in case I come across a shot that I absolutely would need to take a higher rez pic of.  So I wind up missing having my "beloved" D5100s with me but, hey, I'm still getting the shot.

I'm probably going to sell one of my D5100s and get a D5200 backup.  I'm a three DSLR family!If you don't count the D5000 body I've had on my local Craigslist for a couple of months now.

GerardHaines
Like?

toomanycanons wrote:

GerardHaines wrote:

toomanycanons wrote:

GerardHaines wrote:

...I think the merits of the 24MP sensor can be debated in terms of return on investment or if it's simply overhyped. In your situation, it fit the bill...I'm not convinced it did that for a lot of people, especially since the 16MP sensor is still favorably regarded by many and D5XXX series is targeted more towards semi-serious consumers and hobbyists rather than professionals.

I still have two D5100s. Those I use in one phase of my work and don't need the D5200's 24mp or noise capabilities there.

OTOH, if I'm wanting to take a camera out to have with me (and not specifically going to a job that the D5100 works for), I hesitate to take a D5100 but take the D5200 just in case I come across a shot that I absolutely would need to take a higher rez pic of. So I wind up missing having my "beloved" D5100s with me but, hey, I'm still getting the shot.

I'm probably going to sell one of my D5100s and get a D5200 backup. I'm a three DSLR family!If you don't count the D5000 body I've had on my local Craigslist for a couple of months now.

I've just entered the world of owning two DSLR's (D5100 & D7000) and would love to be able to justify a third to the bride...kind of like I would love to have a third Brittany Spaniel or another bamboo fly rod. But I have to maintain harmony in my life and household...

StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 2,407
Like?

I had the D3200 for 9 months.  Things I didn't like was the small VF.  No grid lines.  Kept getting the pictures tilted.  Only one thumbwheel.

Things I liked. Sharp pictures at low ISO.  Quiet shutter.  Small and light when I needed it.

If the 5300 or even 5200 had an AF-Tune I would snap it up.

JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,415Gear list
Like?
Apparently Nikon is using carbon fibre in the body Steve...
In reply to Steve Bingham, Dec 10, 2013

Also, you can change aperture in video mode. I think the D5300 augurs well for future DX bodies.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
SamG10
Like?
In reply to Escape, Dec 10, 2013

Escape wrote:

SamG10 wrote:

I like the built-in flash. I like the fact that the images don't look like they're captured with the built-in flash. The absence of harshness and undesirable sheen is quite pleasing to my eyes.

Has the built-in flash on the D5300 been improved compared to D5200? I don't find my D5200's flash all that great, hence I use an external one.

I have no experience with D5200 so i have no opinion on its built-in flash.  I have been pleasantly surprised with the D5300's though. i like it a lot.  I might post a sample image later on.

SamG10
Like?
In reply to StillLearning, Dec 10, 2013

StillLearning wrote:

I had the D3200 for 9 months. Things I didn't like was the small VF. No grid lines. Kept getting the pictures tilted. Only one thumbwheel.

Things I liked. Sharp pictures at low ISO. Quiet shutter. Small and light when I needed it.

If the 5300 or even 5200 had an AF-Tune I would snap it up.

Yes, AF fine-tune would have been nice but it handles my 24-70 and 24-120 f/4 quite nicely.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads